View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Anyone ever get this feeling?

brownbradley39

Bluelighter
Do mushrooms ever give you the strangest sensation that you've been here before? Like as if you're back the real reality of things after a short break in "everyday" reality? I've experienced this myself, a friend tripping with me reported this and i've heard Joe rogan say something similar. It also paradoxically gives a sense of being detached from reality at times but other times it feels as if you're one with your surroundings. What are your guys thoughts?

This sensation is actually pretty commonly reported by trippers, though I haven't personally experienced it. Mushrooms make me feel pretty far from real reality.

See at some points I feel completely detached, then other points i'd feel "one" with it all. Shrooms also seem to fade in intensity for awhile, then come back strong in intensity, then fade away and on and on throughout the trip.

I get the fading part. The first time I ever took mushrooms I was completely convinced that I was done tripping every few minutes for the first hour or two lol. It's insane how much more mushrooms do this wave-like pattern compared to any other drug, for me anyway; I get it strongly without fail every time, so far anyway.

I've yet to have the kind of experience where I feel like I'm one with everything. I tend to believe though that such experiences are simply the result of the ego no longer working to distinguish the self from the other. I actually see them as much less real than real reality, though highly intriguing.

A wave like pattern is the perfect description for it!! Lol i've only done it three times, the first two being 3.5 grams and purely for recreational uses. This last time however I only used two grams, but I had the intent of using it in spiritual context. I must say the first time I used shrooms was my closest experience to ego death, I would think of am object, a person, anything and couldn't "deduce" it and identify it. I couldn't identify what anything really was, I couldn't separate anything from anything else. And I had a sense of being pulled out, or above reality... Very strange.

Yes actualy, though I don't think I ever really thought about it. I would get visions/dreams of an enchanted forest that was unrecognizable but still distinctly familiar

Interesting man... Reality felt utterly alien to me. It was the strangest sensation.. I also would see on walls fractal patters that would swirl in and out.

Yeah bro? Thanks for the replies back. I've realized psychedelics are great spiritual tools, so next time I'm gonna up the dose.?oh and I have some yopo/cebil seeds too!! :D

The wave pattern of the trip is due to the fact that the active chemical only attaches to the neural receptors for so long. It releases, reenters the plasma and then what doesn't metabolize eventually shows back up for round two or three. ....or that is my theory.

Absolutely, I've had that feeling a number of times over the years. My first trip was on mushrooms and experiencing that completely blew my mind.

Yes, I don't mean to shoot down something 'magical' but I think it is just an activation of a brain circuit that gives you the feeling that you have been somewhere before, seen it before, experienced it before... just like there is a brain circuit that is activated when you experience something totally novel. Those circuits may even be closely connected.
There's even evolutionary explanations behind those systems. Novelty 'demands' attention. Because it may be potentially beneficial or potentially dangerous.

You know i've heard joe rogan say something that I really agree with. He said something along the lines of, "Does it really matter if it's just neurotransmitters going haywire aka being "fucked up", or if they really do bring you into contact with divine knowledge and/or presence? Because if it improves your life and creates beneficial changes in your behavior, thinking, outlook on the world and emotions, it doesn't really matter about the "authenticity" of it because the outcome is still a very positive one." And by them I mean psychedelics lol

It depends, if something makes you a "better" person as felt by yourself and others around you then sure... but it's not exactly like that with everything psychedelics can make you feel or think. If I get the feeling that I've experienced something before and just conclude that it must in some way be true then for example it may falsely lead to or contribute to the belief that each of us is destined to repeat our lives over and over again. (Not saying that I know for a fact that this is incorrect, I am saying that if we have another explanation for the phenomenon, it is in no way evidence for that belief)
In this particular case, I don't really think I wanna be dependent on the fear that I would have to relive the consequences of a mistake I may make in my life, to drive me to make better choices. I'd rather just believe in making good choices.
And if we take this as only a mere example and this kind of thing keeps happening, a person could get incredibly superstitious and call it divine knowledge, which seems like an abuse of the word knowledge.

What I don't buy either is that it is good to be entirely open-minded and just dare dream and believe in suggestive and remarkable feelings like the one that started this thread... because it would be the only way to keep life magical... I am all for extensive fantasy and imagination but I don't really see the point in confusing fantasy and reality. And I think that science is not really any less magical. It is just coherent and explained magic! And it won't become dull since there is still so much we don't know.

Maybe I sound cold or much too serious or bitter, but honestly I am generally happy and can be mesmerized by small everyday graces...

Last edited:
No no I understand what you're saying! Life is FILLED with beauty and awe. Shrooms or any drugs shouldn't be leaned upon as a crutch. I was getting at the point of maybe ingesting mushrooms acts as a teacher(speaking figuratively). Most spiritual revelations and lots of life changing epiphanies happen as a result of some form of altered consciousness such as meditation, fasting, very deep pray and so on... And I don't believe in am anthropomorphic type of god, when I say divine knowledge I mean the person having an enlightening/spiritual experience intuitively realizes something life altering! I myself buy into Easter philosophy/spirituality, mostly the Buddhists with some Hinduism and Taoism. And I sorta but into pantheism as well... But again in a non anthropomorphic and definitely no "personal" god. So I believe in a sense that these mushrooms can and do cause a consciousness shift that leads people to great epiphanies, insightful realizations and total enlightenment. Just my thoughts on things

It is important to not confuse spirituality with magic. And there is no magic bullet for gaining spiritual enlightenment.

A trip has the potential to open the mind to previously unseen possibilities of reality in a very positive way. Otoh, a trip could take one to a very dark place if the ego is unwilling to relinquish control. But for the positive of a trip to be a benefit to the psychonaught, one must still work hard to incorporate the lesson learn into his or her everyday life.

Enlightenment gained without drugs takes a little longer to achieve but it is also less challenging to make it a permanent part of one's life.

I look at it this way. Every molecule has a certain vibrational frequencydueto molecular weight and bond lengths. The slight deviations of these compounds from that of natural serotonin somehow alter our perception of reality due to how the vibrational frequency at the receptor binding sites affects perception. This may cause delusion or it may actually, albeit briefly, allow us to perceive an equally true reality that is normally filtered out due to the normal processing of the human brain.

I just look at how these psychedelics and meditation techniques and all these other techniques for "shifting" your consciousness have been used by people all across the world and all different eras and they all report awfully similar experiences. I believe mushrooms possess more value than just any old regular fungi. But yes incorporating what you learn is the difficult part.