• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Anyone else smoke to curb other addictions?

ddressdd_fr_space

Greenlighter
I've been smoking weed on and off for 6 years. About a year after I started smoking, I got caught and had to get drug tested for a year, but I started again after the drug tests stopped (then got caught again, the cycle repeats). During the periods of time when I couldn't smoke, I fucked with other drugs (was only getting tested for THC) and as a result I was addicted to opiates for a few years. Now that I've been on a opiate-blocking shot called Vivitrol for over a year, whenever I couldn't smoke weed, I got pretty close to getting addicted to benzos and meth. It's just my personality- every day, i'd be looking for a rush/high, and it clouds my motivation,responsibility,judgment,and who i really am.

Anyways.. Since I moved out of my parents' house a couple of months ago I've been smoking again, and of all the reasons why I love the herb, what is the most important to me is that it completely prevents cravings, addictive behavior, and any desire to use hard drugs. As long as I'm smoking, I know I'm not going to lose focus in the middle of the day and give in to the temptation of looking for drugs for the rest of the day. So I save money, time, and gas, and I'm closer than ever with the people I love. I just pack a bowl whenever I've got 5 minutes to spare in the car or my room, problem solved. People like me often get into 12 step programs and being 100% sober from all drugs, but trying that approach has only made things worse for me in the end.
Only thing that sucks about smoking, for me personally, is that the peace of mind and addictive personality isn't all that goes away, I also lose my motivation and ability to engage with people socially. You win some, you have to lose some, I guess.

Does anybody else successfully smoke to satisfy their addiction without fucking up their life? Sorry if this thread has already been made or it's already been discussed in a megathread but I didn't see anything. Got any wisdom, advice, helpful tips, or anything to share about this, anyone? :\

Yes I smoke pot to curb my horrendous alcohol addiction. Its actually a legitimate symptom for medical pot prescriptions in CA. If I dont have my weed, Ill start with a beer. Then a tallcan. Then a pint of liquor. And eventually a half gallon with no recollection of the night, and everybody pissed off at me.

Gimme a bowl of weed though and Im right as rain.

Hi ddressdd. I believe cannabis was instrumental for my successful maintenance on- and taper from suboxone. I was addicted to pain killers for probably a good fifteen years and could never sustain a period of abstinence for more than a few weeks at a time.

When I finally committed to suboxone therapy I was lucky to have found a doctor that did not consider THC in the mandatory monthly urine sample as cause for expulsion from the program.

Suboxone may have satisfied my physical addiction for opiates but the psychological cravings could of easily derailed my recovery. Cannabis definitely gave me that quick change of head space I needed when I could feel the monkey on my back becoming restless.

As far as withdrawals went, during my taper and eventual cessation of Suboxone, a constant supply of high powered cannabis made all the difference. I could function well enough during that time staying high on weed and the dreaded restless legs and insomnia, though present, were manageable as long as I had my sweet nugz.

I have been off opiates for almost a year now. Access to high potency cannabis satiates the psychological cravings well enough that I haven't relapsed past the point of no return yet since getting off the Suboxone.

I'll share my thoughts about the negative aspects of cannabis since becoming opiate -free when I get time to post again.

Yeah, I smoke partly because it's "easier" to be addicted to than any other drug.

In a situation where it's too difficult to do without getting sent to prison.

Yea I can't smoke right now which leads me to drink like a fish, take opiates, benzos, amphetamines etc.

It's so dumb that they prevent you from smoking weed when alcohol is one of the most harmful drugs on the planet. Well, I get ETG tested for that too, but anyway ;)

Like don't they know that there's shit I can get high on that they're not testing me for, like, plenty of shit? But they took away the best one which is my weeed.

Even my grandfather, a recovering alcoholic, says if you're gonna do a drug weed is the best one.

Last edited:
I do, mostly to curb my drinking.

A few months ago I took a very short "tolerance break" from smoking pot because I felt like I needed to clear my head up a bit. Instead of clearing my head up as intended,I quit smoking and ended up drinking absurd amounts of Jack Daniels and beer every single night and it was causing problems in my life real fast.

As soon as I started smoking weed again, my drinking went down a lot and now it's back to my normal which is usually a beer or two every night. Not smoking made me realize how much of an alcoholic I am. There's something about the herb that balances things out for me.

Last edited:
It doesn't work all that well for me
Mainly because weed makes me fiend for heroin because i always used to do them together

yes smokin pot has helped me quit smokin cigs and helped keep my meth cravings down.

Yes. If i don't have my cannabis I drink like a fish and start generally ruining my life.

Anyways.. Since I moved out of my parents' house a couple of months ago I've been smoking again, and of all the reasons why I love the herb, what is the most important to me is that it completely prevents cravings, addictive behavior, and any desire to use hard drugs. As long as I'm smoking, I know I'm not going to lose focus in the middle of the day and give in to the temptation of looking for drugs for the rest of the day. So I save money, time, and gas, and I'm closer than ever with the people I love. I just pack a bowl whenever I've got 5 minutes to spare in the car or my room, problem solved. People like me often get into 12 step programs and being 100% sober from all drugs, but trying that approach has only made things worse for me in the end.
Only thing that sucks about smoking, for me personally, is that the peace of mind and addictive personality isn't all that goes away, I also lose my motivation and ability to engage with people socially. You win some, you have to lose some, I guess.

Does anybody else successfully smoke to satisfy their addiction without fucking up their life? \

People will tell you that trading one addiction for another is not a good idea but in this case cannabis is so much less life damaging than hard drugs that any comparison is ludicrous.

Even if cannabis is causing some problems, socially or with motivation, who cares. You are so much better off than before. The motivation issues may have more do with PAWS than cannabis anyways.

However those of us with addictive personalities would ultimately have a better quality of life if we abstained from weed as well, but that is something to worry about after the hard drug addiction is well behind us.

this thread is very relevant to a number of people here it looks like, me included.
Weed has curbed meth and drinking binges for me, but most of all my anger.
i get aggressive and hyperactive/manic without it.

I'm alcohol Dependant. so I started weed to stop it. I'm having success because every time I'm high with dope, I get to do something else like running and play badminton.

I drink tons when I have no pot. I've never had a dope addiction like many of y'all, but pot certainly helps me avoid alcoholism. I'm less less anxious when using pot daily.

I do...big-time. It replaces (well nothing can replace it but I just can't do them because I drop 10-15 bars(20-30mgs/daily. Weed helps me alot. It kept me clean off them for 6 months(I relapsed last Tue.) I took 8.75bars wed,10bars Fri & 6 Sat.

I used weed to quit using stims. It definitely helped with the cravings in the first few days, and it put me back on track after years of all kinds of drug and alcohol abuse. Weed restored my appetite, calmed me down, and it helped me get some quality sleep every night.

I distinctly remember two phases while I was living in Chicago where I couldn't get any weed for several months and i ended up drinking way more than I was used to. Both were times where I would have done a lot of something no matter what - the first I was new to Chicago and only in town for grad school, so I was lonely as hell, and the second time was in the months after my grandfather died (he was a good mediator between me and my parents on a few occasions). Both were times where if I had weed, I would have done that instead of drinking or (occasionally) coke. But both times I was going to lose myself for a little while in something for sure.