• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Anyone else get severe insomnia from vivid nightmares months after quitting nicotine?

The_Big_Man

Bluelighter
I have tried quitting nicotine many times and even after the physical withdrawals end I will be cursed with nightmares that keep me awake all hours of the night and only letting me sleep a couple hours a night. This goes on no matter how long I quit (even 6 months later) and stop as soon as I start using nicotine again. I even experienced an episode of psychosis where I believed there were people trying to break into my house and kill me for hours. I don't understand why nicotine would be preventing this. Anyone else been through this?

Thats pretty deep for wd from nicotine, imo and experience.
I have quit several times throughout my life and i find it not the easiest but not the hardest to drop (maybe it is for me idk).
but sleep interrupted by freakin nightmares from not smoking (i presume)...?
thats a whole nother level
is it cigs, vaping device, oral tablets etc?

Thats pretty deep for wd from nicotine, imo and experience.
I have quit several times throughout my life and i find it not the easiest but not the hardest to drop (maybe it is for me idk).
but sleep interrupted by freakin nightmares from not smoking (i presume)...?
thats a whole nother level
is it cigs, vaping device, oral tablets etc?
Well I did some digging and decided to go to a doctor. Turns out nicotine and compounds related to nicotine are being researched into treating schizophrenia. They docs now suspect I have schizophrenia and the initial results seems to conclude that I have it. I meet the criteria and they did MRI and bloodwork to see if something else may be causing it. Getting the results in a couple days but preliminary review of the tests show no abnormalities that could cause it. Apparently many schizophrenics will self-medicate using nicotine (as high as 90%) as it reduces symptoms and can even almost entirely eliminate them in mild/early cases. Oh and to answer your question, I vape since its the cheapest. Don't smoke except cigars every good once in a while.

Last edited:
I will say that nurses at inpatient psych always get horrified if I wear my patch to bed because supposedly nicotine while sleeping can cause nightmares. I've never had this happen.

Idk how all this works and I've never had nightmares months after quitting nicotine, af least not that I'd connect to the nicotine. I've also not experienced any somnial disturbance from nicotine or its cessation. But apparently it can cause somnial effects sometimes for some people so who knows? Months later seems like a long time but the brain is weird and sorta a huge petty dick sometimes so who knows?

I did some digging and decided to go to a doctor
Thanks for keeping us posted as I was just wondering why. I know we all react differently in same stimuli but would really like to hear the rest of the story as it unfolds if it's not too much a pita.
Ya got me doing research on the topic now. lol
Peace and hope some answers come soon.
One

It goes away . I quit for good back in February. Sleep fine now... That's why I'm on bl at 219 in the am

Thanks for keeping us posted as I was just wondering why. I know we all react differently in same stimuli but would really like to hear the rest of the story as it unfolds if it's not too much a pita.
Ya got me doing research on the topic now. lol
Peace and hope some answers come soon.
One
I have some friends in the industry that expidited the lab results. They ruled out pretty much everything else and have diagnosed me with schizophrenia (I'm a male in my early 20's so its about the time it starts showing up) and they thankfully aren't prescribing any SSRI's or anti-psychotics. The doc said many schizo patients see relief from nicotine so he doesn't try to get them to quit, just to switch to less harmful versions (patches, vaping, and nic pouches). Since my symptoms are managed just fine as of right now they aren't seeking further treatment beyond routine check ups and to ensure it doesn't get worse. This is the only time in my life a doctor has said nicotine is good for me lmao. (He obviously didn't state it as bluntly as that but you get the point) It is a little strange though as I used to heavily use THC compounds (quit because drug tests and THC just isn't that interesting to me) and heavily use psychedelics, all without ever experiencing adverse mental effects or even a bad trip. Guess I'll just have to see where life takes me at this point lol

I don't get nightmares, but insomnia when quitting nicotine. Sometimes it is severe and i can't fall asleep easily. I started to use nicotine pouches instead of smoking and they helped me get rid of cigarettes completely. Soon i will start to buy less strong pouches to lower my tolerance and quit nicotine more slowly to avoid insomnia. I also get anxiety and air hunger, i get very irritable and my focus is gone for days when quitting nicotine.

I have vivid dreams when I smoke (nicotine). When I quit, I get sleep disturbances like sleeping heavy for a few days and then insomnia for a few days. But, ultimately I sleep better.

I quite smoking in 2016 after 29 years using Chantix and never had any nightmares or vivid dreams.

Yes nightmares are a normal side effect of nicotine cessation / withdrawl. Normal side effect of detoxing from any drug I think. Once during my benzo taper I had to actually ask someone if I ever mistreated them as the nightmare left me with a heavy feeling that blurred my nightmare and reality. Was that an unlocked memory or fiction? Luckily fiction in this case.

They prescribe a BP med (blood pressure) for nightmares, I would guess your doctor would be happy to give you some in exchange for dropping cigarettes.

@thurston good for you man! I have heard good things but only seen bad regarding chantix, anecdotal .02, never been a smoker.