• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Anybody from Quebec City Interested by Psychedelics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LlewellynDrury

Bluelighter
Hello,
I’m looking for Québécois to share their scientific passion about psychedelics.
My academic background is in biochemistry and neuroscience but their use in psychotherapy also fascinates me.
Is there somebody knowledgeable around here who would like to talk about it and share scientific papers?

Hi there, you should try posting over in the neuroscience and pharmacology section, though it's been a little slow lately. But there are some very knowledgeable members over there. I'm from Washington state but I'm interested in psychedelics for mental disorders.

I think depression, PTSD and addiction can be treated with psychedelics. Downregulation of 5-HT2A is something that interests me, but from what I understand psychedelic assisted psychotherapy holds great promise for addicts, and if I remember correctly a study concerning 1000 alcoholics showed that almost 50% hadn't returned to the bottle by 1 year after psychedelic psychotherapy (LSD I believe it was).

Take care.

I think depression, PTSD and addiction can be treated with psychedelics. Downregulation of 5-HT2A is something that interests me, but from what I understand psychedelic assisted psychotherapy holds great promise for addicts, and if I remember correctly a study concerning 1000 alcoholics showed that almost 50% hadn't returned to the bottle by 1 year after psychedelic psychotherapy (LSD I believe it was).

Take care.

I agree. Also, other receptors including 5HT1A are also implicated in the safety and effectiveness of psychedelics. Most of the chemicals hyper-selective at 5HT2 receptors (25X-NBOMe and DOX) caused potentially fatal adverse reactions in some.

Most of the psychedelics with superior therapeutic indexes (4-HO-DMT, DMT, and LSD) have strong binding at multiple 5HT receptor sub-types.

That's very interesting, it sounds like auto receptor activation is important for safety then? I guess its innately implied with serotonin releasing agents that you're going to get auto receptor activation but far from it with the ones that are really selective.

I remember hearing something about 5HT1A (I suppose it would have to be post synaptic) being important for oxytocin concerning MDMA, any thoughts on this?

Discussing those matters on the net is great but it can’t beat meeting somebody…anyway.

LSD was used in the 1950s and 60s in psychiatric settings to cure alcoholism in Canada. Humphry Osmond and Abram Hoffer developed the protocol in Saskatchewan. They had amazing results, many therapists used LSD across Canada until about 1966 when Sandoz stopped supplying it and the authorities freaked out. Good abiding citizens thinking for themselves and questioning authorities was too much for the government.

When trying to figure out the action of psychedelics at the cellular level it is important to know that receptors are not only on/off switches. When a specific molecule bind on a receptor its shape is slightly modified in a unique way at the binding site and also inside the cell. That unique intracellular modification of the receptor will trigger specific metabolic actions. A different bunch of cellular metabolic pathways will be activated for each drug. This is very complex and still poorly understood. So trying to figure out the action of a given drug with only the binding affinity to receptors is pretty reductive, if so pharmacology would be quite straightforward and this is far from being the case.

Welcome to bluelight by the way :)

Are you speaking of what I have heard referred to as ligand directed or biased signaling, where not all ligands have the same downstream effects (different G proteins or arachidonic acid metabolites and such?)?

I'm curious, does psilocybin and such have the same downstream effects as LSD after it binds to 5HT2A?

I've been told that differences in downstream signaling helps explain the subjective differences of psychedelics, but I'm sure there are medicinal implications as well.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for linking that! I'm about to binge watch all those workshops, I'm surprised to see Dave Nichols in the flesh, I've always read his MDMA studies though...

Anyhow, if you have any questions or anything I would definitely head over to the neuroscience and pharmacology forum, in particular there is an individual named Serotonin2A that I would seek out, he is an extremely intelligent neuroscientist/chemist. He usually comments on even my dumb posts so I'm sure he would help answer any questions if you happen to have any.

Just curious, outside of depression, do you think NMDA antagonists might serve any medicinal purpose?

Can't really awnser your question about NMDA antagonists but here something that can shed light about the relation of psychedelics and genetic downstream regulation:

The first step in a complex signalling system involves the binding of specific ligands (LSD, psilocin, DMT…) at the cell surface to a G Protein Coupled Receptor, thereby activating the receptor. The signal is transmitted into the cell via a conformational change in the receptor, which results in the activation of the bound G protein. GPCRs act as guanine nucleotide exchange factors for the a subunit of the G protein, whereby activated receptor promotes the exchange of bound GDP (guanine diphosphate) for Guanine Tri Phosphate on the a subunit, which is the rate-limiting step in G protein activation. The binding of GTP changes the conformation of ‘switch’ regions within the a subunit, which allows the bound trimeric G protein (inactive) to be released from the receptor, and to dissociate into active a subunit (GTP-bound) and bg dimer. The a subunit and the bg dimer go on to activate distinct downstream effectors, such as adenylyl cyclase, phosphodiesterases, phospholipase C, Src, and ion channels. These effectors in turn regulate the intracellular concentrations of secondary messengers, such as cAMP, cGMP, diacylglycerol, IP3, DAG, arachidonic acid, sodium, potassium or calcium cations, which ultimately lead to a physiological response, usually via the downstream regulation of gene transcription. The cycle is completed by the hydrolysis of a subunit-bound GTP to GDP, resulting in the re-association of the a and bg subunits and their binding to the receptor, which terminates the signal.

I hope this is not overly technical...

Very interesting, thanks for that :) Is there any sort of compiled reference as to what is known to signal through what out there?

Serotonin2A once said the following "5-HT2A is coupled to several G-proteins, PLC through Gq, apparently Gi/o, Rho, beta-arrestin. The activation of PLA2 involves both Gq and Gi/o (at least in certain cell types). Serotonin activates all of those pathways." - I thought it was very curious that endogenous serotonin was able to activate all of the pathways. But I wonder if this is a good thing or bad thing in the case of drugs that increase serotonin like MDMA/SSRIs? Do you think there might be more medicinal potential in some of the biased ligands, and that maybe some of the down stream effectors are better left untouched?

Hey LlewellynDrury, welcome to the forum. :) I'm sorry to be the one to have to do this, but I'm going to have to close this thread. Asking to meet up with others who use psychedelics where you live comes off of as too close to sourcing, which is against the rules. Please feel free to carry on the scientific discussion in another thread though; as has been mentioned, Neuroscience and Pharmacology Discussion would be a good place for it, though you'll probably generate some interest just here in the general Psychedelic Drugs section too. You seem to have a lot to say on the subject and there are many here who are looking to learn and share their ideas as well, so I would encourage you to start some discussions if you're looking for feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.