Mental Health Anxiety Disorders MEGA thread

i have tried cognitive and behavioral therapy, excersize, talking to friends and my gf-love of my life, street drugs like opiates and marijuana mostly, doctor drugs including strattera, zoloft, prozac, anti psychotics like trazadone, seroquel for sleeping, a cornucopia of drugs for my ADD as well. this shit dont help. it makes it worse because absolutely nothing is a permanent solution.

i can find small fixes... aka street drugs or some other self destructive shit. but it lasts so short and the anxiety lasts so long

This is so me. What kind of OCD do u have? are u taking meds?

I have pure obsessional OCD. The compulsions are usually mental ticks, and dont manifest physically for the most part. I am not on meds, i self treat with cognitive behavioral therapy, and meditation. I have had one episode in the past month, so It has been better recently. I do however, keep some xanax close by for those episodes you just want to curl in a ball in the corner of your room and never leave.

^oh. i didn't mean to come across like some control freak. i just meant its nice to know im not powerless. :\
Sorry, I hope I didn't sound rude. It's human, and completely normal to want some control over your life, and it sounds like you are doing the right thing with CBT. I just wonder whether ultimately all our problems are down to wanting too much control.

^don't worry, i didn't think you were being rude. i agree to some extent that much of our suffering can be traced to wanting things to be the way they aren't. and letting go definitely is something i am working on.

most of the time, the only thing we can control is ourselves, and this is ok. with practice, we can decide how we will react, think, feel about any given situation. this is where cbt helps me.

^don't worry, i didn't think you were being rude. i agree to some extent that much of our suffering can be traced to wanting things to be the way they aren't. and letting go definitely is something i am working on.

most of the time, the only thing we can control is ourselves, and this is ok. with practice, we can decide how we will react, think, feel about any given situation. this is where cbt helps me.

Did someone say Eckhart Tolle?

^hahaha, yes he is an influence is suppose... buddhist philosophy as well... ;)

these sort of ideas have a calming effect on me.

Same. I can just read anything about mental stillness and begin to feel calm. I seem to have the most trouble with my anxiety in the morning. Its very difficult to become mindful.

Did anyone else have depersonalization/derealization turned on by smoking some good ass weed? I remember the night it happened, I just got done smoking some good bud with my friend and after he left I went into my room and felt very weird.....Everything around me looked real, but fake at the same time.....everything just felt off. It happened a couple more times when I smoked, but stopped after a while......but I still feel weird everyday, all day. My reading has also been greatly affected, it is much harder to read fast now it seems, and it happened over a period of a few days. I also noticed that this happened when I first started using oxycodone, particularly roxis.....do you think that there is any correlation between the two?

You sound so like me.

Isn't derealisation such a difficult thing to live with? I have it pretty much 24/7, although it is fairly low level if I am on my own in the house. It is triggered mainly by environments and who I am with, such a supermarkets or having a formal with people I do not know well.

I obsess constantly that it will not ever go away, and my biggest fear is that it is caused by permanent brain damage from drugs.
I also fear that I have permanent brain damage from drugs, even though all of my doctors tell me else wise.....but I am a big believer that it is purely anxiety because whenever I take benzos, I actually feel normal, everything seems to look and feel like it use to before depersonalization and anxiety kicked in.

Does anyone else have visual snow as well? After-images all the time, static-grainy like vision, hard to look at bright objects, seeing millions of shiny, tiny objects moving around in the sky along with many floaters all day? They think that is anxiety related also......anxiety sucks bawlz:(

I also fear that I have permanent brain damage from drugs, even though all of my doctors tell me else wise.....but I am a big believer that it is purely anxiety because whenever I take benzos, I actually feel normal, everything seems to look and feel like it use to before depersonalization and anxiety kicked in.
Yeah doctors all tell me they don't think I have damage too. The brain damage worry is most likely just a symptom to GAD, it is very common to worry that your GAD is permanent.

Benzo's don't make me feel normal at all though :\
So now I am beginning to worry!!
They help the physical symptoms a bit, but in a way they space me out more!

Does anyone else have visual snow as well? After-images all the time, static-grainy like vision, hard to look at bright objects, seeing millions of shiny, tiny objects moving around in the sky along with many floaters all day? They think that is anxiety related also......anxiety sucks bawlz:(

I do. Its called HPPD. It can be a cause for anxiety, definitely.
I seem to have translucent spirals of static patterned colors drifting around everywhere. Its like when you put pressure on closed eyelids, except its with my eyes open. If I put pressure on closed eyelids I get very vivid CEV's. Open eyed, outlines of things constantly shift slightly, everything is always 'breathing'.

Anywhoo, benzos do calm down my anxiety and my visual issues as well. But lately I've had my anxiety under control, and have just been enjoying my perma-trip ;)

^ I personally don't think BIGsherm7272's symptoms would classify as HPPD. Those symptoms will often be a part of HPPD, but HPPD usually has more visual disturbance, such as you described.

The symptoms described by BIGsherm7272 can often be caused purely by anxiety disorders. I have visual disturbances myself, and I definitely do not have HPPD. I am sensitive to light, and have floaters and a bit of visual static. These symptoms are definitely caused by anxiety in my case.

I felt the need to post this, as it could be damaging for BIGsherm7272 to think he/she has HPPD. I know what us anxiety sufferers are like - the second we think there is a possibility we have something wrong with us we jump to the worst conclusion!

^Yes. I Apologize, I should have worded it differently, as a possibility. That is if he used psychedelics heavily.

I have noticed varying visual disturbances between anxiety and depression. Depression seems to almost inhibit alot of visual input. Anxiety seems to stimulate it.
Just a speculation though.

Don't worry guys, I have already done research on hppd, and while I think I have some symptoms of it, it all seems more anxiety related to me......I just feel like I'm kinda perma-stoned, except without the body high from it.

I get anxiety and IME I've found that CBT and an SSRI were helpful.

Along with lots of exercise-cardiovascular exercise helped A LOT but lifting did some too, and I also started meditating daily and cut back on caffeine. I know people say that diet helps a lot but I was eating an excellent balanced diet with vegetables and fruit and I was taking vitamins.

I've never taken benzos and I was told that they may help a lot in the short term but they are horribly addictive and do not help in the long run, and before I was on anything none of the doctors I saw would prescribe me any.

Well, I am going to be totally off of my k-pins within the next two weeks.
I am really nervous, but I am going to be reading alot on alternative methods to calm down......

A while back my husband bought me tuning forks- to do a vibrational/ audio type of relaxation- It does work, so I will pick that up again.
My worry is about at night- In the past year or so I have become so fearful at night I imagine there are people outside. Sometimes I can't even THINK about going outside if its dark. I have never been afraid of the dark but I just feel very out of control. I also get random, out of no where panic attacks- to varying degrees..... AND I am just anxious majority of the time. It is strange b/c I used to be VERY calm...... I act calm outwardly still- but inside I feel like I am going to explode.
So, this is my new goal, to find alternative ways of calming myself and bringing a little peace back :)

Does anyone have any tips?
Have any of you done any sort of alternative healing things that have eased your anxiety?

My night-time vision has also seemed to turn to shit since this anxiety started.....everything is so dark and when a car drives by it is so bright and the after-images really take up most of my field of vision.

Like people have discussed here already, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy works really well. Also you may want to read The power of now.

Well, I am going to be totally off of my k-pins within the next two weeks.
I am really nervous, but I am going to be reading alot on alternative methods to calm down......

A while back my husband bought me tuning forks- to do a vibrational/ audio type of relaxation- It does work, so I will pick that up again.
My worry is about at night...

Does anyone have any tips?
Have any of you done any sort of alternative healing things that have eased your anxiety?

first of all big yay!! for you for being brave to take these first steps. i understand how you feel, i get a lot of my anxiety at night. for me, exercise and yoga play the biggest role in controlling my anxiety. and as far as panicky situations go, i think some kind of meditation or breathing exercise would be of benefit. sounds like you are on the right track with the vibrational relaxation tools anyhow...

i also think that magnesium is a really great natural supplement. it calms the nervous system and helps me at night sometimes when i am feeling really tense.

good luck ocean!! let us know how you are doing! :D