Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Antidepressants & Party Drugs

Strapped

Bluelighter
I recently started taking an antidepressant called Efexor to treat anxiety and panic attacks. I was wondering if there would be any problems with me taking an X tablet or some speed once in a while I am taking Efexor. What do you think?

I have had numerous friends on this form of anti depressant.

2 of which eat pills and speed like there is no tomorrow every weekend for months with no known side effects other than the obvious.

A few other take pills every month or so.

Others have stopped taking the efexor because they didn't like the effect they had when mixing it with party drugs.

And last on the list is an old friend of mine who took his life about a year ago. He had been on efexor for about 3 months and was going very well so one weekend he decided he'd take e's and speed. He was extremely wierd for a few days after and then took his life. I honestly believe he is in a very small minority.

Hope this helps

PsiloSubNaut said:
I
And last on the list is an old friend of mine who took his life about a year ago. He had been on efexor for about 3 months and was going very well so one weekend he decided he'd take e's and speed. He was extremely wierd for a few days after and then took his life. I honestly believe he is in a very small minority.

Hope this helps

wow...
not too good

i've been taking avanza for a while now which is another anti-depressant. i used to over indulge in chems for a long time, and taking them now whilst on medication is fun, but i dont need to do it. friends of mine have noticed how much i've changed for the better as a result of the medication, and told me that i'm always bouncing off the walls now n happy to the point where it concerns them that i still feel the need to take drugs at all. its quite true, i honestly dont need to take anything to have the time of my life, just being with good friends n doing whatever is just as much fun as taking as many chems as i can get my hands on. so maybe you should ask yourself if you really need to be taking drugs at all? just thought i'd share my opinion, its all good if it doesnt parallel with yours.

effexor aka venlafaxine ix EVIL

Get the HELL off that crap... PLEASE

Get something oter than that, it is bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad and more bad again + 1

The way which anti-depressants work has alot of potential to cause problems especially when someone misses a dose or runs out. They raise serotonin levels unnaturally withou increasing stored serotonin, they basically cause people to become dependant on higher serotonin levels, and dependant on the anti-depressants to keep those levels high. 5-htp works much better as it is converted into serotonin naturally, and doesn't change how the body metabolizes serotonin, the only downside is, of course that mixing it with anti-depressants can lead to serotonin syndrome which can be dangerous. Still, I've found a gradual transition from anti-depressants to 5-htp can be done safely as lower doses of 5-htp and anti-depressants can be mixed safely.

Efexor can be very useful, especially if you have treatment resistant depression or anxiety. I am on a high dose (300mg per day). Ecstasy doesn't work for me.

5-htp is only useful if you have mild symptoms.

Mixing 5-htp & antidepressants is dangerous and stupid.

Only short acting medications (including Efexor) cause a problem if you miss a dose or run out, and once you take your next dose you're pretty much fine again. With most antidepressants (particularly most SSRIs) you probably wouldn't even notice if you missed a dose or two.

The danger of mixing 5-htp and antidepressants is due to serotonin syndrome, which indeed can be fatal, but is still really a matter of dosage. They can be combined safely, but yes, it can be extremely dangerous if one does not know what what they are doing. 5-htip is very potent, approximatly 29 times more so than L-tryptophan, which might be a safer alternative.

Indeed the study of how anitdepressants and neurotransmitters work as to managing our emotions is still not well known. Some time ago, certain B vitamins were even prescribed for depression, and several of these do in fact affect neurotransmitters. Currently the thory is that depression stems from depleted neurotransmitters, but some studies show this not always to be the case. The relativly new antidepressant tianeptine actually enhances the reuptake of serotonin, rather than inhibiting it, despte this in studies, it still shows promising results toward reducing depression in some patients.

The simple fact, is of course that neurochemistry varies greatly between individuals and depression and anxiety, while often appearing to be a symptom of biochemical variations, most often actually stems from real world problems that people face. What works well for one person can be dangerous to another, and it is quite possible for someone to suffer from depression or anxiety, despite their actual neurotransmitter levels.

I started on 5-htp recently in hopes of helping my depression. Which is more than likely due to years of drug abuse and depletion of neurotransmitters. But thats all self diagnosis and me not wanting to go on SSRI or MAOI medications.

Probably a good idea, at least imo, to try 5-htp or tryptophan first before using SSRI's or other drugs that inhibit the reuptake of serotonin. The process of tryptophan being converted into 5-htp, which in turn is converted into serotonin is a more natural, healthier process than preventing serotonin from being broken down and reabsorbed. One of the most noticeable benefits is that withdrawl from using 5-htp is far less likely to cause the serotonin crash and subsequent depression associated with SSRI withdrawl.

stealthtrucker said:

Get something oter than that, it is bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad and more bad again + 1

Well what am I supposed to do then? I have anxiety so bad that I can't leave the house to do anything unless I am drunk or I will end up having a panic attack. I have been taking Efexor for about 3 weeks (75mg) and I think it might have made me about 25% better but I am not even sure it is working that well. I still lose my composure in the situations that count most.

The thing that works best for me is a Valium and half a dozen beers. I wish I could feel like that all the time.

stealthtrucker said:

Can you elaborate? Exactly what were your experiences with Efexor? I'm on 225mg daily right now and it's helping me get by day to day. I'm dreading trying to ween myself off it though, skip one day and you feel like hell. I've been on it for well over a year and am worried if I stop taking it now I'll never feel *normal*, i mean my brain has become used to certain levels of serotonin, if I take that away won't I feel like crap?

If you gotta be on an SSRI get on Lexapro. Its a taimner, less side-effecty version of Cipramil and helps with sleep pretty early on, sometimes on day one, but takes 6-10 weeks to fully work.

Fuck SSRI's all together though, most people can't get it up on those, so fuck that. The tricyclics arent good either. If you're into being sedating but anxiety free without addiction potential, try Avanza (Remeron), but if you want to keep your weight, I wouldn't advise it, as it makes you gain weight easily, gives you the munchies chronic. Also makes you have pretty fucked up dreams at times, kind of stressful dreams that repeat over and over.

Splatt said:
If you gotta be on an SSRI get on Lexapro. Its a taimner, less side-effecty version of Cipramil and helps with sleep pretty early on, sometimes on day one, but takes 6-10 weeks to fully work.

Hmm...I know people who've had good results from Lexapro, but others have found it very unpleasant. My understanding is that the effects of antidepressants vary from person to person for reasons that we don't quite understand yet. So I'd be cautious about recommending any particular anti-depressant to someone else.

@mulberryman: IME, missing a dose or two of prozac or lustral didn't cause me any particular problems, and i never found 5-HTP particularly effective as an AD. (But as I just said, (and as you did) it's different for different people).

I'd recommend none. They're all pharmecutical bullshit. 60% of depressed and anxious people found a course of Phenethylamine daily helped releive their conditions, yet people can eat or inject grams of it without so much of a tingle.

St Johns Wort can be effective, but you may need 2-3 grams or more daily. Alot of depression and anxiety can be cured simply by your own will, but chemically modulating your neurotransmitters can have an slightly appreciable effect, something actually felt. Its this effect that can lead people to enhance their own placebo effect within themselves. Basically, if you feel something, well.. it must be working. We have the power in our own minds to control our own emotions, but often it just doesn't feel that way.

If you're anxious i reommend Phenibut and take it when needed. Dose says about250-500mg, But I take like 809 grams to make sure it stays in the system over night and get sleep, and the anti anxiety feeling and even slight happiness with clear thoughts last well into the next day. But also use L-Methionine (1 gram) and Vinpocetione (20-25mg, when my normal dose is 10-15mg) to wake me up when I do this, and 1.5-2 points of L-theaine to stop any stimulant jitter effects from not being used to Vinpo or if you have a coffee.

^^ 809 grams??!! I'm guessing you meant 8-9 grams, but even that is 32-36 of the common 250mg pills. Everybody's different, but that seems like alot. Then again, I ususally take 5-6 grams of St Johns Wort, and thats 16-20 of the common 300mg capsules they sell at health food stores.

..Hint to anyone: Always buy whole herbs and supplement powders online and use a scale to measure dose, don't get ripped off buying pills!