Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

anti drug adds.. do they work?

endlesseulogy

Bluelighter
Do any of you remember that anti-cannbis add that was on tv here in victoria about the dude that sat home and smoked up all night and went to work the next day at the supermarket and got all aggressive and knocked all the cans off the shelf? and then when his friends asked him to come to a party hes like "oh ill see you all later".

I have never once met a smoker that has become more aggressive as a result of smoking pot.. i mean.. it probably happens but i dont think it would be a regular occurance.. since i started smoking ive become less aggressive and reactive.. alcohol seems to make people aggressive more then anything else, yet they CHOOSE to hit out at pot..

have these adds ever had any impact on your decisions?

I remember that add, made weed look like a bong would ruin your whole life, get u fired from work and all this other shit 8) It just seemed like another piece of bs anti-drug propaganda.

The only times I ever get aggresive because of weed is when I dont have any, cant get any, and im craving some bongs.

hahah of course anti-drug ads don't work to people who use drugs. Least of all us here on bluelight. As bluelighters we know more about drugs than the TV will ever care to elaborate on, so these ads to us just seem farcical. I guess they're aimed at the litle kiddies who have never done drugs.

Anti-Drug ad's make me want to do drugs more, out of sheer spite.

Spot on Hardicus :)

The only anti-drug propaganda I've ever really been exposed to was at high school, and basically we were informed that ecstasy raised your blood pressure, made you feel light headed and then suicidal the next day. That left me wondering why people took it at all, and why they were prepared to pay for it... So I did some research, and curiosity overtook when the opportunity presented its self. So in a way, anti-drug propaganda led me to drug use. I don't think that's a very common story however, as most of my friends remained very anti-drug, and the ads confirmed their misinformed beliefs.

:)

Whenever i see an anti-drug add, i just feel like smoking some weed as it brought back good memories e.g. that dude smoking the weed.

Also because they advertise to prevent non-users from ever using drugs, what comes to my mind and others is that, if its so bad how come so many people do it?

Anti Drug adds are only to stop those people who don't use drugs to start using. They will never stop someone who is already using or will use again. The law is what stops the users, adds put fear in the general public who are for some reason dumb enough to believe it.

They have never impacted on the way I view drugs, I know alot more about all the drugs I have taken than a 10 second commercial can tell me. I know the truth, so I don't need to listen to the BS.

StuffedTiger said:
Any publicity is good publicity. :)

^^^ LOL =D

The only anti-drug ads that have ever affected me are the recent alcohol ones.... those "little bit over" ones. They seem the most realistic approach so far. I just laughed at all the others, especially the ecstacy one where the girl snaps at the radio being too loud - "JUST LEAVE ME ALONE ORRRIGHT!!" :D Heh. I don't know what the right scare tactic is, but that's not it. I'm not going to be dissuaded in case I'll bitch at someone; happens all the time anyway ;)

hehe... ahh back in my bong head days i was so that dude on the ad! my friends and i would always joke around about it... and it was a great way to get out of things... in a joking sort of way.
'uh.. nah i think i'll come later...'
=D

It’s still stuck in my mind that acid will burn holes in my brain and I'll get stuck in a never ending trip. This although I now know to be ant drug proper gander was fed to me as a child by anti drug activists and still lingers in my mind.

I've never touched acid and probably never will.

The ads are pretty naff, true. To be fair to the bureaucracy behind them though, they are variations on the problem gambling ones (loser guy gambles all his money away and the wife get her Visa declined at Safeway etc etc).

I interpret them as pushing the message that Help is Available and there are Numbers you can Call if you need to. Still typically, overtly negative - but they could be worse. They could be like anti-smoking or TAC ads.

No.

They are a joke. BUT... to parents they probably do make some impact based on fear.

I believe what Tsunami said. They are a joke. but the parents and the elder generation (except the hippidies) would feel comfort out of seeing what they are ignorant to.

There is no clear evidence that anti-illicit drug campaigns have any effect on levels of drug use in the community. However the government keep on using them. I would agree with Strawberry_lovemuffin - they are effective in making the baby boomers think that the government are doing something about the 'drug problem'. When you see that the goal is to win votes, not to deal with the real issues, then it kind of makes sense why these anti-drug campaigns keep happening.

alot of the times anti drug propoganda actually made me aware of drugs ive never heard of, wtf is ketamine when ur in yr10? :p those drug talks at school used to interest the fuck outta me :)

^^ yeh same.
I do recall being told that ecstacy drains spinal fluid tho in year 8.
I used to be on the edge of my seat when they used to send in those youth groups that did anti drug campagnes, I put a christian outreach talker in his place in year 12 about it, I think they just like to use shock tactics. I remember being told that quite often e was made in backyard labs with products like rat poisen. I was like WTF?. after doing a bit of research I found almost exactly the oposite, its a difficult process and usually preformed overseas and imported. if anything it made me more interested, although I was convinced that drugs were still bad somehow untill about 2 years ago when I tried e in melbs... now I'm all for it!

Im sure that they are an afirmation to ppl who are ant-drug already.
They prob have a small amount of sway for some ppl who may otherwise in the near future take drugs for the first time, maybe delay the encounter.
I doubt they have any effect on users. I mean, they only describe what the user has essentially experienced first hand and already made the choice to continue using. I mean, im sure no Pill addicts watch the E add and think "oh wow !! I've been wondering why sometimes I feel like shit, i never made the link with the fact that it was always the day after i took a pill !"
And also, you mentioned that they target pot instead of alcohol, but I'd say there has been FAR more anti-alcohol adds than anti pot adds. They do realise alcohol use amoungst teens/etc is(can be) a big problem.

I am in QLD, never seen these ads, but everytime I see a anti-ciggie ad, I always fire up a ciggie, and everytime I see a anti-grog ad, I pour myself other glass of my homebrew beer.

It's not working.....