• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Anti-anxiety meds that are not benzos or antidepressants?

I agree with ThePharmacist4925

Gabapentin and Pregabalin are approved for the use of nerve pain/damage. Specifically helping numb the overactive nervous system of fibromyalgia patients. However both of these have dozens of off label uses that doctors will normally prescribe these for, anxiety being one of them. I take 400mg Gabapentin 3 times a day and I have to admit, being a recovering benzo junkie (along with a lot of other things) these actually do make a noticeable difference. Symptoms of my Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder seem to fade away with Gabapentin. There is a down side however, (I cant say entirely about Pregabalin for Ive never tried it) tolerance is a bitch. What worked for you today, will not work for you tomorrow. Even though I'm prescribed 3x daily, I may use it one day when i know my anxiety may get bad, but then wait a few days before redosing.

Gabapentin is a little funnier acting of a drug than most others. They will not work the same as other medications if you plan on downing half a bottle. Taking more will not increase the effects of Gabapentin for the absorption rate is very slow and you will end up wasting it. Instead titrate the medication 150-400mgs every 45 minutes until you reached your desired effects. This will give you the most bang for your buck. Also taking the medication with food helps absorption and I have also heard drinking carbonated drinks and taking Naproxen Sodium will also help. How true this is, I'm not 100% sure for I do not know the science behind it, it could be placebo, maybe not, I dont know. Gabapentin also has a fairly long onset time, I can say i truely notice the effects about 1hr 30mins - 2hrs after taking it and i would say it peaks (for me) at 3hrs.

nobody mentioned phenibut?

it's probably no better than getting addicted to benzos. i've read some nasty stories.

otherwise, valerian root could be a better alternative.

I always go the ethnobotanical route, if possible. Sceletium tortuosum, better known as Kanna, is wonderful. It just can't be taken with an SSRI. Scullcap is another. Others include: Wild Lettuce, Sacred Lotus (N.N., not N.C.), Dagga, pure Ashwagandha Root, and of course Kava Kava (I find the powdered route best, but it takes time).
One thing I'd look out for is Phenibut. I was able to stop taking benzos immediately, and my social anxiety went away. But three months later, it has become the biggest regret of my life (and I've done a lot of stupid shit).
But I'd look for anything that is GABAergic (sp? Do I care?). Just do as much research into anything before going into it. Kava is less addicting, for you can go three weeks on, two weeks off. Just make sure you find a credible source.
And if Kratom is legal where you are, hell, look into it. It's been a wonder plant for me.

nobody mentioned phenibut?

it's probably no better than getting addicted to benzos. i've read some nasty stories.

otherwise, valerian root could be a better alternative.

sooo, just swapping GABA(A) to GABA(B)? why don't we suggest he starts taking GHB?
all jokes aside, valerian root is pretty good, but i had to take it in huuuge (and probably unsafe) quantities to get anything from it.

its all about hurt reducting

One thing I'd look out for is Phenibut. I was able to stop taking benzos immediately, and my social anxiety went away. But three months later, it has become the biggest regret of my life (and I've done a lot of stupid shit).

Just quoting this in case anyone missed it. Phenibut is some seriously nasty shit, it causes intense physical dependence that can only be properly tapered with another GABA-B agonist, such as Baclofen.