• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Anti-anxiety meds that are not benzos or antidepressants?

royerlraph79

Bluelighter
Hi, I would like to know some medication that works for OCD, but that are not benzos, antidepressants or antipsychotics, because benzos are addictive, antidepressants don't seem to work for me and I had a bad experience with antipsychotics…

i'm not sure if this counts as an anti-depressant/ssri but i've heard good things about Busiprone's anxiolytic properties, i was prescribed it but i already had a benzo habit so it didn;t do much for me.

i'm not sure if this counts as an anti-depressant/ssri but i've heard good things about Busiprone's anxiolytic properties, i was prescribed it but i already had a benzo habit so it didn;t do much for me.
Indeed Buspirone is not an SSRI :) do you at least know is similar/as strong as benzos?

its predominantly used to treat anxiety disorders, i was prescribed it for GAD and panic attacks (full disclosure: it did nothing for my panic attacks). its not very strong at all but is quite similar to benzos in that its main use is to relieve anxiety. my psych said that about 50% of his patients who tried it found it helpful, so i guess its worth a shot!

plus its not addictive

I already posted this in a similar thread, so I'll post a part of it here:

try taking some Kava-Kava alcohol tincture, preferably one made strictly with stems and roots (like HerbPharm), since the leaves are hepatotoxic. It helped me taper off the benzos the first time and I used it as needed for anxiety and to stay off of benzos for about a year. Just 40 drops, a single dose, was more than enough, although sometimes even 10-20 drops worked, as well.

What did you eat today? Slow-release carbs like oats or whole grain bread? ~30g of protein with each meal? How often do you eat meals? How much exercise did you get this week? How many minutes a day on average? Do you take 10-15 minutes off from your day to engage in mindful meditation? How many hours of sleep a night do you get on average? What's your caffeine intake like? All of these things matter more than you can imagine when it comes to both anxiety and depression. Drugs are not always the answer, and can make things worse in the long run. Your best bet is to address simple sleep/exercise/nutrition/mindfulness issues and see where you're at, then if that doesn't work then you can always get yourself prescribed some drugs. You owe it to yourself to explore all the options, however.

or you could try first-generation antihistamines? some, like phengran, are really sedating but others like Hydroxyzine hydrochloride actually have anxyliotic properties (i was also prescribed this and it sort of worked).

^Yes! Hydroxyzine is a great choice for anxiety, and doesn't cause any anti-cholinergic side effects (sedation, dry mouth, tachycardia, etc.) that most other 1st gen anti-histamines do.

^ also hydroxyzine is also meant to potentiate opiates, so be careful if you take those in conjunction with it.

its predominantly used to treat anxiety disorders, i was prescribed it for GAD and panic attacks (full disclosure: it did nothing for my panic attacks). its not very strong at all but is quite similar to benzos in that its main use is to relieve anxiety. my psych said that about 50% of his patients who tried it found it helpful, so i guess its worth a shot!

plus its not addictive
I'll try to convince my psychiatrist since my 40mg prozac doesn't seem to do anything :p thanks!

no one mentioned beta blockers? i highly recommend giving propranolol a try if your doc approves it

He asked a question and I gave the answer lol. Not saying it's smart idea, but it will get rid of anxiety. Kind of like amputating a leg to deal with "restless legs syndrome"

and that's a stupid solution, see where this is going?

Alcohol would do great work, but it's addicting too.
Some people say weed helps them deal with anxienty. It doesn't work for me, but u never know.