• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Anorexia, Bulimia, or maybe not.

CrankItUp077420

Bluelighter
I am very confused and scared. Lately, I have been only eating 390 calories a day and no more. I am obsessed with my calorie intake and I recount it every 5 minutes. I have lost 7% of my body weight over the past 2 weeks. I am wayyyy to fat and I can't quite get ym friends and family to believe me. I also, every now and then puke my food back up when I feel as if I over ate or that what I ate is goign to add pounds. The other day I ate a KitKat bar and started to cry b/c I thought it would makeme fat so I made it come up. Tonight for supper i had 1/2 of a pickle and 2 strawberrys. It made me feel as though it was too much food for my body so again I made it all come up. These were the only two times I have ever done that and I have to say I hate throwing up and hope to never do it again. I would just rather not eat and I am constently weighing myself.
My question to you is....Can you please try and tell me what the hell is wrong with me. The problem with this whole thing is I see nothing wrong with the way I eat but everyone else does so thats why i am asking you guys about it just to make sure I am still normal. Thanx for you input. oh yeah I have already looked up anorexia and bulimia on yahooand I don't think they compare to me. but anyways later.

You say you are "wayyyy to fat" - how much do you weigh and how tall are you? Frankly, the stuff you are describing sounds consistent with an eating disorder, but only a Dr can diagnose this. I suggest you see your Dr ASAP to discuss this, before the problem becomes more serious and entrenched. Your friends and family are not going to lie to you, so the fact they say you are not fat should mean something.
Eating disorders can become very serious: long term effects of anorexia nervosa include osteoporosis, heart problems, gastrointestinal problems, infertility, etc. Long term effects of bulimia can include severe tooth damage, altered electrolyte levels which can cause heart attacks, gastrointestinal problems like ulcers etc and so on. So the sooner you get some help the better. Good luck.
[ 21 June 2002: Message edited by: babydoc_vic ]

this is a problem.
there's no right or wrong in life, you just do what you do....but this is a problem.
tell someone. Sometimes no one really knows. No one really sees. sometimes people are just too scared to say something. "Maybe it'll just go away".
...it's not just going to 'go away'.
It's not.
And you feel like if there was something REALLY wrong someone would say something.
...but no body does. People tiptoe. and question quietly. But you can't hear any of it.
I don't know what type of advise I can give you. I look normal now. I look okay now. It doesn't mean I am.
Talk to someone. Now. Before you can't. Before it becomes this thing that you can trust more than anything else in life.
And it's not about definitions ana-blahblahblah, bulim-blahblahblah. It's not. it's about you.
No clinical DSM things. It's just about you.
If you need to talk, email me.

You should definitley see a doctor. Even if you don't have all the symptoms of anorexia or bulimia right now, you are definitely on your way.
I know you really want to lose the weight, and when you start seeing the pounds come off, it can be as addictive as a good drug. Your health is more important though! If you are only eating 400 calories a day, you will continue to lose weight for a while, but you will be miserable....no energy, hungry all the time, and I bet your skin starts to look like crap too. Also, your body will adjust to that amount of calories by slowing down your metabolism so when and if you ever go back to eating normal, you will put weight back on incredibly fast.
Do you exercise? It will make you feel better about yourself, really. You could start losing the heatlthy way and look and feel great. If you have an addictive personality, working out can fill the need just like anything else. Most gyms have at least one person on their staff who is trained in nutrition. They could help you plan a diet that is easy to stick too. I would still suggest you talk to a doctor as well.
Good luck!

I advise you do something early about and dont end up like me...
its so easy to fuck yourself around way too much with eating disorders.

Trust me. From someone whoe speaks from experience. It is not just the body obsession and food obsession that is the problem. There are other factors, whether you realize it or not, that are contributing to this. Perhaps if you can, see a psychiatrist. It can really help you see what the underlying problem is. If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to email me. [email protected].
Take care,
Remy

The problem? That is easy. Our sad and pathetic culture. The "cult of thinness." Welcome to your new food and body obsessed life.
Try to see a doctor ASAP or it will get worse.

Yes I do exercise. I ride horses regulary and help run a barn and I am always on my feet. I do hunter jumpers. but see I liek they way I amd eating. and I don't want to change and I don't want to see a doctor cause personally dont'think I have a problem.

Ask a sub 100lb skeletal anorexic whether he or she is happy with the way they are eating and they will probably say yes, and utterly balk at the thought that they might have a problem and might just need some help here.
Look, you posted here during a moment of emotional turmoil and self-doubt that you might have an eating disorder. Obsession with caloric intake is the start of almost all eating disorders, you say you keep track of calories like a statistician and on top of that you sometimes feel that you *might* have eaten something that puts on the pounds so you stick the party pooper down your throat and kill the party your stomach is having, that my friend is called an EATING DISORDER, whether you like it or not. I am not trying to be mean or insensitive at all here, but you're lying to yourself if you absolutely believe without a shadow of a doubt that its perfectly healthy to track caloric intake like a hawk and regulate the amount of calories you take in with purging sessions or planning eating around the amount of calories everything contains.
Anorexia and Bulimia isn't a fucking joke, its not something you can wave off and decide you're gonna get back to in a few months, because a few months of obsessive dieting or purging is all it takes to wreck your way into the ICU. I watched someone I knew go from nice looking girl into ABSOLUTE skeleton, and she would have none of anyone's talk, in her eyes she was a massive heffer and had to do something about it in a big way, well, she's a shadow of the person she used to be, and is probably fighting to put on some weight, every single day for the rest of her life.
anorexia.jpg

Is this beautiful?

And besides all the negative things you are doing to yourself that could effect you later in life, you could also drop dead due to internal organ failure long before you even start looking too thin. Just because you don't look starved doesn't mean you aren't.
Everyone in this thread has given excellent replies. Don't ignore what they are saying. You do have an eating disorder, and you need to get help before you die or become psychologically or physically disabled due to malnutrition. By choosing to deprive yourself of nutrients, you are choosing to ruin your life. What a waste of a life :(

I cringe whenever I hear shit like this... I too know a girl who went from a beautiful person to a skinny little doll, and she doesn't listen...
It took time for her to develop it I think, she used to always complain that if she ate to much shed be fat, etc...
I really really don't understand why people can't just eat a normal 3 meals a day and do some excercise, like jogging for a good 30 minutes a day...
Oh well
[ 23 June 2002: Message edited by: Famine ]

Well thanx you guys for you input. It means a lot to me but I don't know what i am gonna do. oh well. I'll decide later. You guys gave great advise though i know from people telling me that I need to change but i don't see anything wrong so i don't know.

My suggestion here is to learn about the body and metabolism. From as many sources as possible. Books, people, medical studies. And figure the correct intake. Where did 390 come from? If you learn this stuff and take your own metabolism into account, you can get a very clear picture of weather extra calories are going to do you in or not. Losing fat is great. Losing lean tissues is going to cause a lot more longer lasting issues with altering your metabolism and your body going into starvation-sparing low-energy using mode. Exercise and nutrient intake is key.
nasaltr0n
Originaly posted by CrankItUp077420:
Well thanx you guys for you input. It means a lot to me but I don't know what i am gonna do. oh well. I'll decide later. You guys gave great advise though i know from people telling me that I need to change but i don't see anything wrong so i don't know.

Last edited:
CrankItUp: Read nutrition books, you'll see that the smallest level of caloric intake to lose weight on a normal adult metabolism falls in the 1400-1600 calorie level, so your caloric intake of 390 calories a day falls WELL below the BARE minimum to feed a body that is average weight for its height.
People with slower metabolisms or with extreme difficulty in losing should aim at a caloric intake of around 1300 calories a day, which is still way above what you're taking in every day. Also, losing weight too quickly causes skin tissue to sag in a gross way, causes skin stretch marks as it tries to adjust to your body changing shape in a drastic and VERY unhealthy way.
Look, I abused things like meth and MDxx in a big way last year, I went from being 1.75m and weighing about about 170lbs to weighing about 125lbs in the course of about 2 months. My skin sagged horribly, it just wasn't 'stuck' to my body, I had to make up for it by running, biking and all sorts of athletics to get the skin on my body to pull taught again. I was really scared at what had happened, I thought I'd really fucked something up when I stared at myself in the mirror and saw a bag of bones with a suit that was basically a couple of sizes to big...except I couldn't take the suit off, you don't want to be freaked out in this way. Also, remember that if you lose too much weight you'll disturb normal body functions like menstruation.
I understand that you don't want to hear this shit from anyone, least most likely from an anonymous name picking at keys on a keyboard behind his computer, but you have a problem, a really big one that could kill you if you're not careful.
[edit] spelling
[ 24 June 2002: Message edited by: UngratefulNinja ]

Do not tell your self you do not no what you are going to do,As you will never do shit about it you are just lieing to yourself,You need to sit the fuck down think about what you are goning to do about it,Do not get up until you are clear on what happening,I'm not trying to be a cunt but it's the truth,my x-girlfriend had bulimia and would not stop beacuse she grew to attached to it she once said she trusted it like a friend,in the end we broke up beacuse she loved her trusted friend better than her boy friend
[ 24 June 2002: Message edited by: oosss ]

CrankItUp077420, I do not mean to hijack your thread, but it has realised how stupid I have been.
I am 6'2 and weigh 147 pounds (67 kilograms).
I never realised how bad I'd become :( Thanks CrankItUp077420 for starting this thread and thanks to everyone else who posted.

awww you welcome well i am gonna try and eat better but if you guys would like I could keep everyone posted on my status?