• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Anhedonia after quitting phenibut

I personally have not, but I have worked with more than a few people dealing with alcohol withdrawal and use disorder who find it the most effective medication for the purpose they have ever encountered. I imagine it would work even better for phenibut withdrawal, given that it's a gaba-b agonist.

When I got it for opioid withdrawal, first they put me on gabapentin and then when I went back and I told them how I was still having the symptoms it was supposed to stop they ended up putting me on baclofen. This guy was fairly well versed in substance use disorder and withdrawal medications though.

Phenibut10
Lyrica is Gabaergic, but doesn't bind directly to any Gaba receptors. It has a high affinity to the Alpha-2 Delta sites, which closes calcium channels. Somehow, I'm not sure, effects GABAb in a way, as a gabapentinioid (sp?)
All I know is is I went front 2.7 every 5-6 hours, to 900mgs in two-three weeks.

My problem is I'm not sure how well the Lyrica (or Balofen, neurontin...) works when you get to under a gram. I was making giant leaps without any problem. But I'm holding back and going 100mgs at a time. When I get to 300, I'll stop the taper and try to use it two-three times a day.
I guess we'll see

Because phenibut also seems to act partially as a kind of antidepressant (please correct me if I'm wrong), would that perhaps lead to other more narrowly gabaergic substances like baclofen of limited effectiveness in dealing with some of the symptoms of phenibut withdrawal?

(this strangely worded post was a musing on whether an antidepressant and gabaergic medication would be (likely) preferable to only a gabaergic medication in managing phenibut withdrawal)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing: I take Lyrica for neuropathic pain. So I will indeed continue with Lyrica beyond the withdrawal and until they can set up the MRIs.
Will the continuation (without abusing) of the Lyrica effect the my GABA system worse?
I'm getting off Kratom and Phenibut at the same time, and this morning was my last 2 grams of Stem and Vein. Unfortunately my situation is, let's say 'tight', so I had no choice.
But does anyone know if it's better for the brain to taper off the Lyrica after I quit Phenibut and continue Kratom? Or just keep using the Lyrica?

You should stay on your prescribed medication for a while (three-ish) months after you stop taking the phenibut.

What is "better for the brain" is very relative. Certainly it's better not to be constantly in a state of flux, bombarded with large amounts of foreign substances/chemicals/electrons.

The brain likes stability in terms of what you feed it, much like a plant (or newborn child).

I'm sleeping on a couch of a stripper/prostitutes studio apartment. I have ten days to find a job, and then I'll get some help from the parentals. I also ran out of Lyrica and it's the weekend. So I bumped my 350mgs to the recommended 750mgs. I also had to take my Adderall for the job hunt. So I'm hoping that since I've been under 750mgs for a while, I'll be okay even without my Lyrica.

I also kicked Kratom at the same time. I still have a little Akuamma Seeds left to help the neuropathy until Monday. But I cannot imagine tapering off Phenibut without some GABAb agonist. Aside from quitting smoking, this has been the hardest substance I've withdrawn from. Even worse than my cold turkey heroin days.
Good luck to all! There are some peptides that can possibly help with the anhedonia, but I'm thinking the best way is to tell your doctor ( something I need to do) exercise, eat well, and get blood work done to confirm what vitamins and minerals you need to supplement to your body. Magnesium G. has been wonderful, as well as the adaptogen Ashwaganda.

Kava for me is a second to last resort. Last resort? Benzos. Useless for GABAb drugs, but takes the edge off when needed.already experiencing anhedonia and I'm not even off Phenibut.

FelliniWasAJunkie, have you ever looked into fasoracetam, some people say they have good results for gaba b upregulation. Also, you're kicking kratom at the same time...that's sounds incredibly annoying. Also what are some good peptides for anhedonia? Right now I'm day 5 on nsi-189 and I felt a little emotion which is nice after not feeling emotion for over a month. Anyways good luck on kicking the gaba b stuff and kratom, and I hope the best for all of you too because anhedonia and paws/withdrawals suck.

Ok, first, the NSI-189 just entered phase II, 82% of all drugs never make it to phase III, and I looked everywhere, even through scifinder, there is no published mechanism of action. This is my way of saying stop taking it. I don't know if it can cause dependence, if it's toxic, if it's effective, and no one else does. Now, you were taking a massive dosage of phenibut, but thankfully for a relatively short amount of time, meaning you can go cold turkey. The anhedonia is a normal symptom, phenibut can be viewed as a less selective, less potent analogue of baclofen, and what happens with these drugs is that they normally target GABA B subunit, but they can fuck with GABA A at very large dosages, so my guess is you're experiencing something similar to a mild benzo withdrawal, which explains the anhedonia. Any other thing? Vomiting, nausea, headaches, insomnia, anxiety, depression? Cause with the info you have given, my recomendation would be simply to let it pass, I know it sucks, but at least it should go away on it's own. Please stop taking that experimental drug. It's being tested as an anti-depressant with a ''novel mechanism of action'' (That means they don't know how it works). If the anhedonia continues, I'd recomend a psychiatrist and a good assesment, you didn't break the law or anything, and maybe a normal dose of baclofen for a month being tapering down would be enough.

RandomClean3 I appreciate your advice and concern but im already 11 days into my trial run of nsi-189 and I really want to finish at least a 30 day trial before I decide to stop or continue nsi-189.So far i have not noticed any side effects from the nsi-189 but I still know nsi-189 may come with risk. Also, I tried to get baclofen from my doctor, psychiatrist, and even went as far as going to urgent care but no matter what I did I was never able to get a prescription for baclofen. But, other than anhedonia/emotional numbness I have no other symptoms so in hopes of regaining some emotion back im going to stick with nsi-189 for at least 30 days and if that doesn't help for anhedonia ill stop the nsi-189 then wait a few months to a year and see what happens. I never knew phenibut could mess with Gaba A at a high doses, that would make sense for this to be like a mild benzo withdrawal. Thanks for your help.