• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

An Objective Analysis of Modern Christianity (short).

Dresden

Bluelighter
Christians are really supposed to be worshipping Jehovah, but since nobody really likes him except for maybe Abraham, Christians nowadays simply worship his son, Jesus, instead. Jesus has a more likable personality than does Jehovah (who doesn't?), and some of his teachings ARE pretty sublime (if impractical), but nevertheless, Jesus is still temperamental, egotistical, and quick to anger / prone to angry outbursts. In other words, he too is far from perfect.

No. Jesus showed us the way to the true God as he could perceive it.

He's looked upto as a messenger of God and an embodiment of the divine in human form.

Christians are really supposed to be worshipping Jehovah, but since nobody really likes him except for maybe Abraham, Christians nowadays simply worship his son, Jesus, instead. Jesus has a more likable personality than does Jehovah (who doesn't?), and some of his teachings ARE pretty sublime (if impractical), but nevertheless, Jesus is still temperamental, egotistical, and quick to anger / prone to angry outbursts. In other words, he too is far from perfect.

I must admit, I am unsure of what you are trying to prove here, but in christian theology, Jesus and Jehovah are one and the same. Son of God is a euphemism. Jesus is the same god as ever and says as much.

Believe it or not, willow11, your interpretation is a rather recent and largely evangelical development. Most churches use the concept of the Trinity, at least.

The unity of Jesus and god is almost as old as Christianity.

When Jesus was nailed to the cross, dying, he exclaimed, "Oh Father, why have you forsaken me?"

Who do you think he was talking to, HIMSELF?

I don't believe he was talking to anybody. I don't believe in the Christian god so i don't think Jesus was divine. I also don't believe Jesus said what the bible claims.

Most Christians believe Jesus and god are one. Using a biblical quote as if the Bible is a reliable source is misguided...the bible is not a valid source.

dresden said:
Who do you think he was talking to, HIMSELF?

Yes, exactly :) You must be aware that Christianity is monotheistic. Its a central tenet of their belief.

I totally agree with your idea of the hypocrisy of christians who pretend to be distanced from the OT god by worshiping Jesus. In theological terms, Jesus' father is that same god; and, furthermore, Jesus is also that god. God is unchanging, according to these people so any claims of god's reformation pretty much scuttles that idea. I totally get why they would wish to be seperate from the megalomaniac of the OT, but I won't let tgem get it away with it...;)

Last edited:
Apparently Jesus already came back and is running a taco stand outside of Austin

Hm... you all seem to be neglecting the Holy Spirit - 3rd leg of the Trinity.

@Ninae - do you think Jesus was the literal 'Son of God' or just a pretty good mystic?

@Others - Most Christians believe Jesus is the SON of God and that the One is a Trinity. It's one of the 'divine' mysteries thing. A pantheistic Monotheist Religion. I agree with Willow in the idea that Jesus wasn't divine but the fact is almost every Christian in the world believes otherwise.

:D Unfortunately what Christians actually believe didn't stop me being slagged off at when I asked questions about how aliens might alter their paradigm.

I don't think you were all that negative...

The holy trinity is a catholic thing..

Jesus was the son of God, God himself, fully human but fully god.. apparently.

Jesus is never referred to as a god in the bible.. the son of God - sure.. but everyone is supposedly the son of God.

And i agree - he's massively egotistical etc etc

“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35For I have come to turn

“ ‘a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’c
37“Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

Standard for a cult leader ;)

Last edited:
Father, Son and Holy Ghost is much more than Catholic. The Church adds in Mary so what does that make it? :D

I grew up in a Pentecostal - as you were baptised (had to be able to ask for it) the litany was, "in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, I baptise you" and you get dunked.

I like the idea of a timeless, omniscient, omnipresent, unchanging god having a Mother. ;)

The unity of god could have been a retrospective attempt at 'pastuerising' a newer, polytheistic religion and reducing it to the cheese of monotheism. Or something, my metaphors fell off.

the cheese of monotheism

Literal / True polytheism doesn't make a lot of sense (to me).

If there are multiple Gods, where do they live?
How is it possible for multiple Gods to exist if God is infallible/omniscient?
Most portrayals of polytheism portray Gods having human-like relationships with each other.
Literal /True polytheism exists, IMO, as a result of misinterpreting scripture and our tendency to anthropomorphize God.

All religions, really, are monotheistic... even if they're not.
Like Hinduism, Christianity keeps God both separated from and united to his different incarnations.

Jesus is the "son of God", but Jesus is also God.
As somebody else said, "son of God" is a euphemistic/allegorical: we are all God's children; we are all God.

Last edited:
IMO St. Paul led Christianity astray very early on with a false Gospel of hatred. Modern Christianity as a whole is still afflicted by his teachings, since they are in almost every denominations Bible. Personally, I think Christianity would be better served by following the Gospels that contain Jesus Christ himselves teachings.

That's just my opinion though, spirituality is a very individual thing.

IMO St. Paul led Christianity astray very early on with a false Gospel of hatred. Modern Christianity as a whole is still afflicted by his teachings, since they are in almost every denominations Bible. Personally, I think Christianity would be better served by following the Gospels that contain Jesus Christ himselves teachings.

That's just my opinion though, spirituality is a very individual thing.

Completely agreed.. The writings of Paul should have been severed from the New Testament and christianity centuries ago.