• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Amsterdam mayor proposes three-day wait for magic mushrooms

In my opinion hallucinogens should never be taken on a whim. First time users may not know exactly what it is they're getting themselves into.

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Mushies are no joke, and should not be taken lightly or impulsively.

I've seen many ignorant people have terrifying trips because they think mushrooms will be "a bit stronger than pot, with more visuals." They don't realize that an hour after ingesting these things, they're world may be turned upside down.

Why are the Dutch so goddamn logical when it comes to drug policy and the US is stuck in the dark ages? :(

i like it.. a compromise which allows them to stay legal and actually encourages responsible use holy moly!!

I got another idea guys. How about we make it a law to test potential alcohol buyers. That way we could gauge if they're alcoholics, if they're likely to drive drunk, and if they're mature enough to drink. 8)

Oh, and I'm also thinking about having all smokers register before they're allowed to smoke. That way we'll make sure that they're making an informed decision.

Good post preme213.

dude you seem to forget the other option was bannination. a three day wait is nothing.. and your "slippery slope" argument falls flat considering there are already tons of illegal drugs.. it's not like all drugs are legal and now there's some decent into regulation.. all drugs are illegal except the very few which are regulated. btw alcohol and tobacco already have wait time restrictions on them... you have to wait 18 YEARS before you can buy them ;)

In regards to the slippery slope, I was referring to drugs that they tolerate(none are technically legal there to begin with).

I don't see how it falls flat. As others have said, the people in power now want to take a harder stance on drugs. This could just be the beginning...

the people in power now want to take a harder stance on drugs. This could just be the beginning...

honestly, I could only wish the people in power in the US felt that shrooms should be legal after a 3 day waiting period.

I understand where you're coming from, I just don't see this as much of a burden. Psychedelic drugs are nothing to be toyed with; I don't mind if the gov't wants to place a small wait time on them, especially the main intent is to discourage drug tourism.

Besides.. here where shrooms are illegal, half the time you can't even get them in 3 days haha

CloudyHazeD said:
I would rather wait for three days, as opposed to just not even tolerating them, as in my current USA.

Thats exactly what I was thinking as I read the article.

yo whoever was talking about democracy and that everyone should be allowed to trip is a fucking moron. i hate to flame but for real, its a health and safety concern (dont even try to argue that it isnt) and your democracy will turn to anarchy if you allowed anyone to trip whenever they wanted.

yes, technically in a "free" society you should be able to ingest anything you wanted into your own body, but even in free societies there needs to be restrictions to enforce safety, and the greater good, which this law most certaintly does. anyone who says otherwise has their head up their ass.

yes, technically in a "free" society you should be able to ingest anything you wanted into your own body, but even in free societies there needs to be restrictions to enforce safety, and the greater good, which this law most certaintly does. anyone who says otherwise has their head up their ass.

We're talking about someone taking "legal" drugs, which doesn't affect the greater good or the safety of anyone else. I agree with you that the user should be informed about what they're taking, but a three day wait period will not guarantee that. Arguably, it may stop a compulsive user. But as demonstrated with drug prohibition, if someone really wants the product right now, chances are a market that provides it will eventually exist.

Arguably, it may stop a compulsive user. But as demonstrated with drug prohibition, if someone really wants the product right now, chances are a market that provides it will eventually exist.

so whats the problem? the druggies can still get their drugs, and the drunk and stoned tourists have to wait till they sober up a little before munching some shrooms. =D

as has been seen many times with powerful legal drugs (salvia for example).. making them easily available to any idiot with the money often leads to problems and/or negative publicity.

With Salvia, because it is over so quickly, i think it's a good thing for inexperienced idiots to take. They'll probably have a really bad time and hopefully be put off from drugs for the rest of their lives.

As long as they don't do it whilst driving or crossing a road or something.

My personal theory is that salvia has done more in terms of convincing young kids to stay away from drugs than anything else in the UK recently.

Having said that it's the first recreational drug i tried except alcohol and it didn't stop me.

As long as they don't do it whilst driving or crossing a road or something.

You haven't lived until you've done some saliva extract while driving. Setting, setting, setting! =D

----------------------------------------------
Ok, I think everyone knows where I stand on this. We'll have to revisit this in 5 years or so...

The real point of this is to please the US, notice you must show ID and presumably have it recorded somehow. What do you want to bet Americans and other foreigners will have a hard time getting on the waiting list? Already pharmacies and head shops around the world are afraid of selling to obvious Americans.

And the Dutch government will have a nice little database of mushroom buyers, and frequency of purchase. Makes investigations and mudslinging so much easier.

I am against any proposal that would make drug users outed to the government.

I think this is a good thing...it gives people time to reflect upon the trip they are about to embark on.