• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Amphetamines for losing weight

Awol-solja

Greenlighter
Does anyone know if its safe to be prescribed amphetamines for weight loss as i gained a crapload of weight while taking seroquel to help me sleep at night for years i used to take 400mg of seroquel now im only taking 75mg to sleep its instant release version not slow release i am mainly asking is it safe as i am on methadone for severe chronic fibromyalgia pain and i need to lose a little bit of weight so i can start exercising again to take the strain off my joints so i can move easily at the moment i am 145kg i do have tonnes of muscle but the last 2 years i was bedridden from the pain and at night when i had my seroqurl it made me eat like i smoked a tonne of cannibis however i dont smoke dope or do any illegal drugs anymore i take what i am prescribed i am trying to get completely off seroquel i hate it but i need it to sleep i have benzos for sleep but i use them on rare occasions anyone with any adv9ce would be appreciated so just for all to know i take 40mg methadone a day 75mg seroquel at night for sleep and sometimes maybe once every week or two i take 1 x 30mg serapax aka oxazapam for either acute anxiety or help for sleep cheers

Amphetamines are clearly a short-term solution that work best when used to jumpstart weight loss. You'll still need a healthy diet and exercise to maintain weight loss. Amps just make it easier to eat less and speed your metabolism up a bit.

I like Adderall but any of them will work. Phentermine makes me a nervous fucking WRECK, but it's what most doctors prescribe for weight loss these days. Just start with like 10mg of amphetamine in the morning and see how that works. Keep pushing the dose upward until you find a dose that reduces your appetite without making you a jittery mess. I can't handle much more than 30mg of Adderall in a day without getting too tweaked, and my doses are spread out through the whole day and night. Same with Dexedrine.

IIRC, there was actually a time when they were prescribed punctually for weight loss. The main problems which ultimately led to their discontinuation were the unpleasant side-effects, issues with addiction in some users, and that the the weight loss was usually not sustainable (i.e. people experienced a rebound weight and appetite gain after stopping).

Last edited:
If a doc prescribes it it's probably worth the risk (in this case). Its safe to mix opiods and amphetamines, but you have to adjust the doses as the opiods are potentiated and the amphetamines are weakened. If a doc is prescribing both he'll probably factor that into the dose. Amphetamines are very effective for weight loss, but in the short term. Once you stop taking them, you'll go back to eating just as much as before and gain it all back. Since you gained all the weight from seroquill and are now taking a lower dose though, that probably won't happen.

I'm not sure that doctors can legally prescribe amphetamines for weight loss anymore...perhaps if it's "endogenous obesity"...I dunno

I did see a commercial for a new weight-loss drug that is a combination of buproprion ("Wellbutrin") and naloxone, though...I thought that was interesting

I think it's a bad idea and not safe. They will definitely curb appetite but they can be hard on the heart which at your weight would worry me even if you are very muscular the extra weight is still hard on your heart.

I'm not sure that doctors can legally prescribe amphetamines for weight loss anymore...perhaps if it's "endogenous obesity"...I dunno

I did see a commercial for a new weight-loss drug that is a combination of buproprion ("Wellbutrin") and naloxone, though...I thought that was interesting
My psychiatrist mentioned once that desoxyn (medical meth) can be prescribed for weight loss in very severe cases. He wasn't considering prescribing it, I'm not even overweight lol, but the topic just came up once. I'm assuming weaker amphetamines can be prescribed for weight loss as well, but I'm not sure. Drug laws are weird.

I feel you on the seroquel, gained a lot of weight over it. The problem with uppers is that all they do is diminish apetite and have an absurd rebound effect. I know people who have taken fentermine, fenproporex, sibutramine, diethylpropion, they all lost weight in a very...odd fashion (A friend of mine who was a bit overweight but was naturally curvy turned into a stick) and every single one, without exception, regained the weight the moment they stopped taking the pills and most of them gained more. This is the cold truth, there is no effective diet pill in the market that isn't a stimulant. And the stimulants are only effective for as long as you take them, then you gain the weight back. One if the withdrawal effects of amphetamines is hunger, and since you're still taking the seroquel, it would be bad. Also, you're already taking 2 sleeping meds, consider the anxiety, insomnia, possible hypomania, overall, I don't think they're worth it, whether it's one the ones I mentioned or methylphenidate, amphetamine, methamphetamine, phendimetrazine, it applies to all of them. The more effective they are, the more weight you gain when you stop taking them.