• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Amphetamine Neurotoxicity and Tolerance Reduction/Prevention III

I have a question worthy of serious discussion. Something that's been bothering me about this whole "tolerance reduction" idea in the first place.

I mean, we're doing it by decreasing Ca++ influx through ALL NMDA receptors. Isn't this way overbearing, and reducing plasticity of all kinds, of which tolerance just happens to be one? NMDAr, as the molecular "coincidence detector" of neurons, reinforces connections through the neuroscience thing of "neurons that fire together, wire together", the very basis of neuroplasticity. Try to convince me that reducing (non-AP) Ca++-influx doesn't affect memory.

I think it's going to come down to the permeability of NMDAr to Ca++ as a function of voltage. By which I mean, with excess Mg++, Ca++ only goes in when there's a full action potential, and not from something near an action potential threshold voltage. From an information-theoretic standpoint, this suppressed signalling could be useful to the postsynaptic cell when determining whether to strengthen the synapse. eg. Learning and Memory.

EA and others, do you agree that this is a potential issue?

TCM

Edit: Also, guys talking about FA's, keep in mind that monoamine release ratios are only a part of the picture. PCA and 3-chloro-amphetamine are one example of that, according to Wikipedia, as PCA is pharmacologically weaker but a more potent neurotoxin. My guess is that differential effects of these compounds on VMAT2 is responsible for this. VMAT2 inhibition/reversal leaves more Reactive Oxygen Species, probably being dopamine metabolites, in the axon terminal.

Last edited:
I have a question worthy of serious discussion. Something that's been bothering me about this whole "tolerance reduction" idea in the first place. ("uh-oh", you say)

I mean, we're doing it by decreasing Ca++ influx through ALL NMDA receptors. Isn't this way overbearing, and reducing plasticity of all kinds, of which tolerance just happens to be one? NMDAr, as the molecular "coincidence detector" of neurons, reinforces connections through the neuroscience thing of "neurons that fire together, wire together", the very basis of neuroplasticity. Try to convince me that reducing (non-AP) Ca++-influx doesn't affect memory.

I think it's going to come down to the permeability of NMDAr to Ca++ as a function of voltage. By which I mean, with excess Mg++, Ca++ only goes in when there's a full action potential, and not from something near an action potential threshold voltage. From an information-theoretic standpoint, this suppressed signalling could be useful to the postsynaptic cell when determining whether to strengthen the synapse. eg. Learning and Memory.

EA and others, do you agree that this is a potential issue?

TCM

Now this is a good question and a good opportunity to explain some concepts for people just jumping in.

NMDA was originally targeted due to some papers that found antagonizing it reduced tolerance to mu agonists, and as it happens it also does play a significant role in sorting out random noise from the synaptic transmissions.

hrl_rcpt_sys_NMDA.png

For those of you new to to topic its what's know as a voltage and ligand gated cation channel, in plain English it means it lets positive Na+ and Ca2+ ions in when the receptor binds glutamate and its co-agonist glycine -the ligands- are bound to the receptor and the membrane its transversing is at a certain electrical potential.

As the opening of the NMDA channel allows both sodium (Na+) and calcium (Ca2+) ions into the cell and changes both the potential and the concentrations of the ions several things happen inside the cell. Some notable effects of this change can be the production of an action potential, activation of particular signalling pathways, activation of several enzymes and recruitment of cellular machinery to change the sensitivity of that area of a cell to stimulation.
I could go more into depth, but I think Wikipedia would be a good jumping off point for this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptic_plasticity

One part of your question I'm not sure I understand is this:

Try to convince me that reducing (non-AP) Ca++-influx doesn't affect memory.

I'm pretty sure I'm misinterpreting this but, do you mean that non-synaptic NMDA receptors or the relationship between [Ca2+] and long term potentiation?
I'm a pharmacology guy not neuroscience but to my understanding NMDA receptor localization plays a critical role on what its intracellular effects are. As for memory, referring to LTP one would expect reducing non-AP calcium would generally impair memory slightly but I was of the opinion AP calcium was the main mediator of LTP. Could you elaborate?

LPT and [Ca2+]
NMDA localization

My interpretation of NMDA antagonism is it is a broad spectrum approach to prevent the overstimulation of specific cells and pathways, preventing some of the changes in plasticity and intracellular effects that would otherwise occur. However, NMDA antagonists are generally viewed as cognition blunting, and in cases of severe neuronal stress neuroprotective as effects such as the glutamate cascade and resulting excitotoxicity may occur.

Now, maybe we could get P.A. to chime in more on the topic...

I'm pretty sure I'm misinterpreting this but, do you mean that non-synaptic NMDA receptors or the relationship between [Ca2+] and long term potentiation?
I'm a pharmacology guy not neuroscience but to my understanding NMDA receptor localization plays a critical role on what its intracellular effects are. As for memory, referring to LTP one would expect reducing non-AP calcium would generally impair memory slightly but I was of the opinion AP calcium was the main mediator of LTP. Could you elaborate?

LPT and [Ca2+]
NMDA localization

The abstract of that first paper definitely states that Mg2+ increases, and Ca2+ decreases, can both reduce LTP, even while signaling through synapses can be maintained (which is probably more AMPA than NMDA related). This again calls into question whether this could be memory impairing. I wasn't saying anything about extrasynaptic NMDAr's... didn't even know those existed!

I meant that loss of the [Ca2+] increase could mean loss of a useful signal to the post-synaptic neuron. I don't think we know the importance of NMDA receptors and plasticity, if the neuron contributed to something that was ALMOST an action potential. This is exactly the kind of signal that would be blocked by [Mg2+] increases.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that attempting to mess with cation balances in the brain/nervous system is nigh-impossible to do safely due to numerous regulatory hurdles, like transporter protiens. Sure, you can take extra dietary Mg/Ca, but there is no guarantee that a significant amount of it will end up in the brain at all... (esp. large cations like Mg/Ca/K...)

If you are using cultured neurons then it will be much easier to get experimental results, due to the lack of a BBB and the innate ease with which you can control chemical concentrations.

I was under the impression that attempting to mess with cation balances in the brain/nervous system is nigh-impossible to do safely due to numerous regulatory hurdles, like transporter protiens. Sure, you can take extra dietary Mg/Ca, but there is no guarantee that a significant amount of it will end up in the brain at all... (esp. large cations like Mg/Ca/K...)

If you are using cultured neurons then it will be much easier to get experimental results, due to the lack of a BBB and the innate ease with which you can control chemical concentrations.
Excellent point, a quick search reveals that magnesium levels in the brain are tightly controlled but deficiency is common on the whole bringing other issues with it. I believe that it would be likely that it does effect NMDA functioning over its physiological concentration range.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8692498
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

So, pretty much magnesium isn't the best for inducing massive changes in NMDA receptor functioning but it does something and it's a common deficiency and in severe cases of malnutrition (read: amphetamine binge) might be more worthwhile to supplement. That's where we can start looking at other NMDA channel blockers and modulators.

I'll pull up some info on Zn2+ later.

Last edited:
5 or 10mg dexedrine fixes my anhedonia and social anxiety, it makes me talkative but doesnt help focus or motivation much, as my other thread got closed lol but i assumed as advanced member i knew reducing the dose if thats the issue would work haha, good read it was tough.

So my original question:
They fix several of my issues but they make me way to talkative, wich receptor mediates this? Id like to shift this to the stimulation of motivation, PFC activation (D1 andD4 agonism) i suppose D2/D3 blockade but amisulpiride seems to weak.

Lower doses give the energy mostly to talking rather then productivity too.

Any idea's?
MU modulation? mu causes its rewarding effects.
I dont like opiates, give a stupid dreamy high so wont mind trying naltrexone, said this before but then dont as it blocks the high, but my life is the high and amp need to works better.
As im back in belguim ill see my pdoc here again soon, i suppose therapy or other things can be helpfull for my complete lack of focus, motivation seems to be allright at times takes pushing myself (offcourse) but still some issues with that, like i do tasks scattered and dont finish them properly.
Offcourse its not simply fixed with adding a new med, but i tought shifting balance to D receptors more implicated in the pfc may be a good start.

UK medical care is a total disaster, had to self medicate, will try to get dex here.

As an aside the effects of certain racetams added to stimulants are interesting:

noopept with aniracetam kinda removes the euphoria and the "feeling" of the stim making them seem to integrate better with daily functioning, motivation seems improved but as motivation is a matter of forcing yourself i didnt try it long enough to make any comments.

nefiracetam blunts the talkativeness but it doesnt make any other effects more apparant like increased focus, it just supresses the stim in a way altough it still works in removing my sa and anhedonia, just feel like i wouldnt have those issues without being on a drug in a way, leaving me with all adhd issues again.

Either way once i tried something for a month and actually achieved stuff then i know wheter something works, but focus is my main issue, i just cant sit down and read or study, no matter what stimulant dose, ive read that some ppl that dont respond to stimulants respond to cannabinoids (can post abstracts when requested) but i dont like them.

I apologize for my impaired writing of this post, im trying differened racetams, while earlier my writing was improved it seems to be impaired now, i need to keep better track of the half lifes and log the actual results.

Thats enough anecdotes for now, just wondering are discussions about modulating the actual effects of amp welcome in this thread or this one purely for the toxiticy? If thats the case ill make a new thread.

Last edited:
Epsilon alpha would you mind i would kinda merge the tolerance research and anecdotes in your thread, something selective for amphetamine, its mostly i document i want to show my pdoc, i also beleive that splitting those threads in the several drug classes would be a better option as all the differened issues and possible helpfull solutions can be centralised.

Epsilon alpha would you mind i would kinda merge the tolerance research and anecdotes in your thread, something selective for amphetamine, its mostly i document i want to show my pdoc, i also beleive that splitting those threads in the several drug classes would be a better option as all the differened issues and possible helpfull solutions can be centralised.

Research yes, anecdotes just post links to or be sure to wrap in spoiler tags. The last two threads became difficult to navigate behemoths due to the pharmacological discussion being broken up by anecdotes. I'm going to try and make this thread a bit more accessible than last, by keeping things tidy and taking time to explain processes to people who never took advanced genetics or biochem courses.

If possible do you think you could make summery posts for the research you found on NMDA receptor antagonism and what not? We're looking for clarity not volume this time around lol.

IMO neurotoxicity stems from mostly sugar imbalance from anorexia, somewhat oxidative stress(Im surprised at the number of MAOI antioxidants commonly around, also many alter blood sugar differently than amphetamine)
I never have been regularly on amphetamine to really have a good idea about tolerance mechanisms, but I'd assume poly-abuse leaves subtle changes on a larger scale of receptor sensitivity that relates to pharmacology beyond what you immediately take.

Last edited:
i believe that at lower doses, sugar imbalances are the primary causes for neurotoxicity, however when amphetamines are abused in higher doses that are insanely high, oxidative stress is the primary cause for concern although also linked into sugar imbalance too.

from my experience (i take dexedrine daily, 20mg twice a day) when i first started taking my medication i abused the hell out of it for a good month - being up to 150mg a day type thing, snorting it, all sorts of crap. i then came off it for a good 9-10 months, and my tolerance had not reset, but had gone down to a level at which i could re-use the drug at its therapeutic levels once again. i no longer abuse my medication and NEVER go higher than 40mg a day. sometimes i even forget to take my doses. i think that amphetamine tolerance is ever lasting, there is no way for it to ever decrease to base line. during my 10 month break lets say, i was on several supplements, ZMA, vitamin E, conenzyme Q10, selenium, melatonin etc - a whole bunch of anti-oxidants to say the least and they perhaps reduced my tolerance (actually, perhaps if i hadn't of taken them, my tolerance would never have gone back down?) thats an interesting theory.

Well I think the thing about oxidation stress is the body cant keep around neurotransmitters as well if the body is dependent on amph as a partial MAOI(am I correct?) circulation changes occour as well from it so other mechanisms for fighting oxidation is hindered. Also the anorexia makes a lack of the necessary vitamins for enzymic conversion of amino acids to neurotransmitters.

Zinc
I couldn't find much on zinc concentrations in the brain, however this paper says its a very tightly regulated ion and it has an extremely long half life in the brains of lower mammals. With that said, zinc supplementation/deficiency could easily be covered with a simple multivitamin. So with that said, the hunt for endogenous NMDA negative modulators will likely turn more to small molecule compounds or macromolecules that it can bind.
Biometals
September 2001, Volume 14, Issue 3-4, pp 343-351
Zinc homeostasis and functions of zinc in the brain
Atsushi Takeda

More NMDA localization weirdness
However, its interesting to note that not all NMDA receptors are gated in the same manner, it appears D-serine is mostly responsible for synaptic gating while glycine is more responsible for extra-synaptic gating. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22863013
Now, to figure out which if any has more relevance to amphetamine induced stimulation.

Now, I'll probably work some of these studies into the op if I ever have time to get around to it:
Lithium reduces amphetamine prodrug induced oxidative stress: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23333378

Differential effects of methamphetamine and amphetamine on microglial activation http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23330132
This is important as it shows that methamphetamine produces a stronger effect on the microglia than regular amphetamine, possibly suggesting that inhibiting microglial activation is more important for meth users.

And, some recent findings on the CREB tangent I went off on: CREB activation by amphetamine in the NAcc (thought to be the pleasure center of the brain) helps produce a reduction in dopamine transmission by upregulationof the endogenous κ opioid receptor (KOR) ligand dynorphin. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23293139

Ive noticed that when im on a regime that is more letting D2 do its work or potentiated my posts are arent as intelligent then while on regimes where its more or less inhibited my posts are far more intelligent, i bet most here saw the difference in my posts at times.

Especially in the old days when i was more shizo and then amp, massive D2 retardation, risperdal blocked this and i sounded alot more intelligent (sounded i just posted what ppl wanted to hear as risperdal took my personality away).

Research yes, anecdotes just post links to or be sure to wrap in spoiler tags. The last two threads became difficult to navigate behemoths due to the pharmacological discussion being broken up by anecdotes. I'm going to try and make this thread a bit more accessible than last, by keeping things tidy and taking time to explain processes to people who never took advanced genetics or biochem courses.

If possible do you think you could make summery posts for the research you found on NMDA receptor antagonism and what not? We're looking for clarity not volume this time around lol.

Yeah id like to get all the science out of both out threads and for anecdotes just at the end a link to them for a proper overview about our findings.

D2 blockade blocks morphine tolerance as an aside, any relevance to amphetamine?

Hey, I'm probably going to restart the thread once I'm done with the OP (don't worry I'll save the posts).
But, one thing me and a few former mind and muscle guys were wondering about is has anyone trialed agmatine while using stimulants and if so did it change anything?
I'll try and post the logic once one of the members approves me copy/pasting his extremely well written post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agmatine

This, but reading a lot of reports, no long term toxicity in rats and feeling almost no hangover makes me believe that 4-fa is a lot more friendly than most hard drugs. Of course this is not certain but I think the odds are in the favor of being less harmless. But this is all my experience and the experience of other people around me.

I've found 4-FA to be one of the more harsher comedowns from many stimulants I've tried. I mean it isn't the worst by any means, but I always experience moderate to high levels of anxiety on the comedown pertaining to my heart and chest region. This is without benzos of course. I didn't have these problems when first trying the chemical though... I believe the anxiety I experience now (with all stimulants usually) is from a horrific experience I had one time with 4-FA

I had an experience on 4-FA that put me in the hospital. I believe it was a bad batch. I got it from a friend who decided to take a break from anything drug related and didn't think anything would be wrong with it. I dosed around ~130mg with my girlfriend, although she had a slightly smaller dose around ~100mg. I was speeding/slightly rolling pretty hard for a good while until it turned into the usual slightly agitated speediness without the pleasurable effects. My girlfriend left and after a couple hours I started to feel off. I started to get extreme tingling in my extremities which then expanded to other body parts. My face would tingle if I brushed my hand against it and eventually almost my whole body was tingling very strongly. I was slurring my speech slightly and had trouble walking. I felt extremely light headed and at two points in time fell over, blacking out for a second or to, when standing up to fast. I also experienced extreme cramping in my arms and legs that scared the shit out of me. I was pacing like a mad man around my house trying to keep the tingling at bay (as I read walking helps with blood pressure) until I became to worried and woke someone up and told them I need to go to the ER.

On the way to the hospital the tingling had became so extreme my entire head was tingling and it just kept getting stronger and stronger.

I had hypokalemia, which is a potassium deficiency and also low magnesium levels. I was told that I could have died if I didn't go to the ER, as a potassium imbalance can cause an abnormal heart rhythm and the extreme tingling I was experiencing, along with all the other symptoms.

I was admitted to the hospital over night with a potassium drip until my levels were deemed normal. I felt like absolute SHIT for the next couple days. Like I had been hit by a bus. I still to this day have no idea what was wrong with the 4-FA. I didn't redose and I didn't take a very large dose. My girlfriend was find, although a bit pale the next couple days and felt crappy too.

A little piece of information that might (or might not) be interesting for some of you:

As mentioned before, I just started taking Dexamfetamine. What I didn't mention though, is that I had taken DL-Amfetamine for 2 months beforehand. (both prescribed by my PD)
Since Dexamfetamine is more potent and hence (possibly) more harmfull (in Germany the common opinion is that it is more likely to cause "addiction", too), I bought a few "supplements" mentioned in this thread, including Ibuprofen.

Even though I had an almost week-long pause between Dl-Amf and Dexamf, and was even allready starting to feel "pretty" good without any medication again,
the first minimal dose of Dexamf ( 2,6 mg) made me extremely tired and drowsy! I also felt somewhat weird, definetely a decrease in concentration and motivation alike. I've been trying around with the dose for the past week, but it's allways the same effect. However - I allways took 400 Ibu before!

Now here's the thing:
There's a thread in a german ADD-Forum discussing if Ibuprofen has positive Effects on some people with ADD symptoms, much like MPH.
Some people there said they have somewhat remarkable effects with doses of 400mg Ibu, while others say that it makes them feel somewhat tired and sedatet.

My point being: Maybe the Ibuprofen was making me feel so tired and retarded, and not the Dexamfetamine. Maybe it was the combination. I will pause any medication for the next couple of days, and try out each individually without the other next week - starting with low doses of Dexamf ( 1,3 mg).

Once I notice something interesting, I'll post the results of my "experiment" here...

Last edited:
Originally posted by John Barleycorn
Originally Posted by meth
Any updates from ExD, EA, JB?
Only if you can stand me further derailing ExD's thread away from stim-induced bruxism to opiates. :)

I think one of the implicit lessons in that last batch of opiate sensitisation research which I posted was the differences at the cellular level between endogenous opioids and exogenous drugs. It wouldn't surprise me at all if something similar operates in the stims vs dopamine receptor field, although I haven't gone looking for that. However, things get even more complicated. Back on the subject of opiates, it turns out that there is a poorly-recognised view that morphine is actually an endogenous transmitter, and its actions aren't limited to the neural area but span the immune, vascular systems, and a few others. It's hard to find a paper on this topic without Stefano's name on it (which makes me a little wary), but it's all a well-written, provocative mix of results and conjecture. This next abstract gets us somewhat back onto the sensitisation track because it talks about morphine causing paradoxical hyperalgesia, and also drags in some links with NO and NMDA, as Epsilon previously mentioned:

Med Sci Monit. 2009 May;15(5):RA107-10.
Xenobiotic perturbation of endogenous morphine signaling: paradoxical opiate hyperalgesia.

Stefano GB, Esch T, Kream RM.
Source

Neuroscience Research Institute, State University of New York - College at Old Westbury, Old Westbury NY 11568, USA. [email protected]

Abstract

The clinical literature has extensively documented diverse, potentially debilitating, side-effects of pharmaceutical dosages of morphine and morphine congeners administered for management of acute and chronic pain. Paradoxically, morphine is capable of engendering state-dependent hyperalgesic responses that appear to be functionally linked to secondary activation of N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors coupled to Ca++-evoked nitric oxide (NO) production. Similar biochemical events have been associated with the development of morphine tolerance. Recent lines of complementary evidence support both the existence and biological importance of cellular regulatory pathways mediated by endogenously synthesized, chemically authentic morphine. Cellular "morphinergic" signaling is mediated by cognate six-transmembrane helical domain (TMH) micro3 and micro4 opiate receptors linked to activation of constitutive NO synthase (cNOS). Based on the compelling association of both endogenous and exogenous morphine activation with enhanced NO production, we advance a hypothesis that morphine administered as a pharmaceutical/xenobiotic agent adversely perturbs normative "morphinergic"/NO signaling within discrete cellular microdomains. Accordingly, pharmaceutical and/or physiological disruption of basic metabolic events regulated by "morphinergic"/NO signaling is proposed to account for state-dependent morphine-mediated hyperalgesia, tolerance development, and related disruptive cellular adaptations.

PMID:19396050 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Another interesting aspect of this endogenous morphine idea is that Stefano occasionally takes an evolutionary perspective and more or less argues that some transmitters are more fundamental than others, with dopamine and morphine said to have a close relationship. Here's just one abstract of a number of similar ones:

CNS Neurosci Ther. 2010 Jun;16(3):e124-37. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-5949.2009.00114.x. Epub 2009 Nov 13.
Dopamine, morphine, and nitric oxide: an evolutionary signaling triad.

Stefano GB, Kream RM.
Source

Neuroscience Research Institute, State University of New York-College at Old Westbury, USA. [email protected] <[email protected]>

Abstract

Morphine biosynthesis in relatively simple and complex integrated animal systems has been demonstrated. Key enzymes in the biosynthetic pathway have also been identified, that is, CYP2D6 and COMT. Endogenous morphine appears to exert highly selective actions via novel mu opiate receptor subtypes, that is, mu3,-4, which are coupled to constitutive nitric oxide release, exerting general yet specific down regulatory actions in various animal tissues. The pivotal role of dopamine as a chemical intermediate in the morphine biosynthetic pathway in plants establishes a functional basis for its expansion into an essential role as the progenitor catecholamine signaling molecule underlying neural and neuroendocrine transmission across diverse animal phyla. In invertebrate neural systems, dopamine serves as the preeminent catecholamine signaling molecule, with the emergence and limited utilization of norepinephrine in newly defined adaptational chemical circuits required by a rapidly expanding set of physiological demands, that is, motor and motivational networks. In vertebrates epinephrine, emerges as the major end of the catecholamine synthetic pathway consistent with a newly incorporated regulatory modification. Given the striking similarities between the enzymatic steps in the morphine biosynthetic pathway and those driving the evolutionary adaptation of catecholamine chemical species to accommodate an expansion of interactive but distinct signaling systems, it is our overall contention that the evolutionary emergence of catecholamine systems required conservation and selective "retrofit" of specific enzyme activities, that is, COMT, drawn from cellular morphine expression. Our compelling hypothesis promises to initiate the reexamination of clinical studies, adding new information and treatment modalities in biomedicine.

PMID:19912274 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
So what might be some practical implications here? Well, in light of the above, there are theories that persons deficient in either CYP2D6 or COMT could thus be deficient in endogenous morphine and therefore candidates for all sorts of mental problems, but the results aren't nearly as clear-cut as all that. But secondly, there's the idea of manipulating NO pathways as a means of preventing drug tolerance, withdrawal, etc (and, who knows, behavioural sensitisation)? I recall this idea received a bit of press around M&M, but here's just one abstract to refresh the collective memory:

Anesthesiology. 2009 Jan;110(1):166-81. doi: 10.1097/ALN.0b013e31819146a9.
Modulation of opioid actions by nitric oxide signaling.

Toda N, Kishioka S, Hatano Y, Toda H.
Source

Shiga University of Medical Science, Shiga, Japan. [email protected]

Abstract

Nitric oxide (NO) plays pivotal roles in controlling physiological functions, participates in pathophysiological intervention, and is involved in mechanisms underlying beneficial or untoward actions of therapeutic agents. Endogenous nitric oxide is formed by three isoforms of nitric oxide synthase: endothelial, neurogenic and inducible. The former two are constitutively present mainly in the endothelium and nervous system, respectively, and the latter one is induced by lipopolysaccharides or cytokines mainly in mitochondria and glial cells. Constitutively formed nitric oxide modulates the actions of morphine and related analgesics by either enhancing or reducing antinociception. Tolerance to and dependence on morphine or its withdrawal syndrome are likely prevented by nitric oxide synthase inhibition. Information concerning modulation of morphine actions by nitric oxide is undoubtedly useful in establishing new strategies for efficient antinociceptive treatment and for minimizing noxious and unintended reactions.

PMID:19104184 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
Note that there are are three forms of NO synthase, so any manipulations would have to be appropriately targetted. There has been some interest in the past regarding the use of agmatine as a so-called NMDA antagonist, whereas it is possibly more appropriately described as a NOS inhibitor. It used to be hellishly expensive, but I have noticed that NutraP have recently started carrying it for a more reasonable price. Could be worth a play ...

I meant that loss of the [Ca2+] increase could mean loss of a useful signal to the post-synaptic neuron. I don't think we know the importance of NMDA receptors and plasticity, if the neuron contributed to something that was ALMOST an action potential. This is exactly the kind of signal that would be blocked by [Mg2+] increases.

No offense to you pharmacologists/neuroscientists, but when it comes to neural network analysis or simulation, math majors might have to come in and help you out ;).

An alternative perspective is that voltage-dependent antagonists like Mg++ and memantine are blocking noise, not signal. Or, alternatively yet again, these types of antagonists are tilting the balance in favour of phasic over tonic/constituitive firing.

Further, just to complicate things even more, LTP and memory isn't always necessarily a good thing - as in anticipating the effects of some euphoriant, for example. In such cases, one theory regarding the effects of voltage-independent antagonists like ketamine and ibogaine is that these kind of wipe the slate clean.

Nowadays I *SWEAR* on 100-200 micrograms of Selenium per day!!

It does not only repair dopamine receptors (which was already proven with lab rats - ) - but I'm quite sure it also helped to fix my GABA and Serotonin receptors, too. Only a few months ago - before finding out about the astounding powers of selenium - even a single beer caused 1-2 weeks of alcohol withdrawal to me, although I was about next to absolutely alcohol abstinent for about 5 years after first alcohol withdrawal. But now I can suddenly drink again several beers without any significant problems at all. But that's not all: Also my chronic amphetamine overkill induced paranoia almost completely vanished within weeks of taking Selenium.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Albert Einstein

Nowadays I *SWEAR* on 100-200 micrograms of Selenium per day!!

It does not only repair dopamine receptors (which was already proven with lab rats - ) - but I'm quite sure it also helped to fix my GABA and Serotonin receptors, too. Only a few months ago - before finding out about the astounding powers of selenium - even a single beer caused 1-2 weeks of alcohol withdrawal to me, although I was about next to absolutely alcohol abstinent for about 5 years after first alcohol withdrawal. But now I can suddenly drink again several beers without any significant problems at all. But that's not all: Also my chronic amphetamine overkill induced paranoia almost completely vanished within weeks of taking Selenium.

Source on the dopamine receptor bit? I see people make claims like this all the time so you need to make sure you cite your arguments.