• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

America's first war on drugs: Rare photos show women and men smoking opium

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
America's first war on drugs: Rare photos show young women and suavely dressed men in zombie state that sparked panic about the opium trade

Reclining on bunk beds while sucking on opium pipes, these haunting photos provide a rare glimpse into life in America's 19th century opium dens that prompted the country's first crackdown on drugs.

Established by the Chinese and arriving in the US via ships, the first opium dens sprung up in San Francisco's Chinatown during the 1840s and 1850s, and were soon being used by people from all walks of society.

The opium rush was at its most prevalent during the 1880s and 1890s, which coincided with the rise of the temperance movement.

Its popularity eventually resulted in a string of legislative measures being introduced to try and stamp out the addictive craze, including the Pure Food and Drug Act in 1906 and Smoking Opium Exclusion Act in 1909.

41D4971500000578-0-image-a-19_1498640252387.jpg

41D4982D00000578-0-image-m-6_1498639746708.jpg

41D4979100000578-0-image-a-8_1498639823540.jpg

Chinese immigrants came to the United States in the early/mid 19th century to work for railroads and the Gold Rush. They brought the habit of opium smoking, and the idea of opium dens, with them.

In 1840 New Englanders also brought 24,000 pounds of opium into the US. This caught the attention of US Customs which promptly put a duty fee on the import.

The opium dens provided bunks and rugs to relax on while smoking, as well as equipment if a person did not possess their own.

Opium could be purchased in five-ounce tins for around eight dollars and was typically bought at Chinese merchants' shops.

The drug was easily accessible in San Francisco and California even when they outlawed the substance in 1878 and 1881, respectively.

41D497DC00000578-0-A_Chinese_man_smokes_on_an_opium_pipe_while_holding_his_cat_in_S-m-3_1498639701551.jpg

41D497E500000578-0-image-m-12_1498639944405.jpg

41D497C200000578-0-image-m-15_1498640144690.jpg

41D4982500000578-4646428-image-m-48_1498641693524.jpg

41D4983500000578-4646428-image-a-49_1498641703748.jpg

41D4981D00000578-4646428-image-a-39_1498641590094.jpg

By that time, it had also spread east into New York, Chicago, St Louis and New Orleans and the height of its popularity was at the end of the 19th century.

Opium dens were now increasingly frequented by men and women from the middle and upper classes.

An undercover reporter for 'The Examiner' in 1882 described how she witnessed 'two white girls, neither of whom were over 17 years of age' dressed as though they were going to 'a Sunday picnic' in an opium den in San Francisco.

To crack down on the addictive habit, the federal government under Theodore Roosevelt passed the Pure Food and Drug Act in 1906, which required any 'dangerous' or 'addictive' drugs to appear on the label of products.

Three years later, the Smoking Opium Exclusion Act banned the importation of opiates used purely for recreational use.

However it's unclear if this act was part of anti-Chinese backlash as it was thought Chinese men were luring white women to have sex in the opium dens.

That act was followed by the Harrison Narcotics Tax Act in 1914, which regulated and taxed the production, importation, and distribution of opiates and coca products.

Authorities believed the opium dens were problems associated with the Chinese.

As late as the 1950s, drug control officials pinned the blame on China for the illicit importation of other opiates (such as heroin) into the US.

41D4971D00000578-0-In_order_to_smoke_opium_a_person_needed_the_drug_numerous_pieces-m-18_1498640236116.jpg

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4646428/Inside-America-s-opium-dens.html

I forget, when was the whole Yellow Menance/Fu Manchu shit popular?

I've seen the pic of the old guy with the cat on him...I'd like to have e that pic as a print...I like it. My old roommate and I had a cat and she one time got into a pile of dope on the table in a split second she snuck her nose to it and a little stuck we freaked and wied it off but she was def sedated. Something about cats and opiates...like when I'd be in bad wd she would lay specifically on this spot on my leg that always hurts when in wd from a car accident, like she knew that's where the pain was coming from and when I'd get high she'd lay and pirr on my chest. Was probably always around it and interested in it bc I was always messing with it..even the cat in the photo looks interested lol

Those photos are amazing. So many cities all around the world with gold rushes nearby had similar Chinatown set ups, eg. there were many opium dens in large Australian cities, even as late as the 1920's

^ there are even poppies that still grow in old Australian gold towns that have continued to self-seed and regrow each season.
some friends of mine found opium growing in an old ghost town in the middle of the country from the opium users of those days, apparently.

I wonder how many people today would decide to use heroin over opium if opium was readily available? I'd like to think I would. Opium would clearly be the better choice from a harm reduction standpoint.

I understand chasing the better high and all that..

Good reading: Chasing the Scream. This author chronicles the history of the War on Drugs, showing, among other things, how each influx of non-white immigrants was blamed for the "Scare-of-the-Moment" drug, how other countries around the world were bullied by the U.S. into adopting the War on Drugs themselves, regardless of how drugs had traditionally been used in their societies.

I would guess that opium itself carries lower aggregate risk than isolated opioids.

would think a much lower risk since you would be avoiding the consequences of IV use and a negligible threat of OD.

chances are most people would just end up switching to heroin though..

It would come down to cost, I think - in my experience, most people start IVing because their tolerance climbs to the point where no other ROA is cost effective. I imagine the determining factor would be whether the opium was cheap enough that, dollar for dollar, you could get at least as high smoking opium as you could shooting heroin.

There's also the convenience problem - the whole lamp/wooden pipe setup is a bit clunky. I wonder if you can smoke opium on foil like #3/tar? Or you could dose it orally when you have to be functional, then smoke it in your downtime.