• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

American Kingpin: new book shines light on the internet’s biggest druglord

poledriver

Bluelighter
American Kingpin: new book shines light on the internet’s biggest druglord

HE WAS the internet’s first and most infamous drug lord. But Ross Ulbricht could’ve been any other billionaire Silicon Valley CEO.

75d59e2ab2f9293d7f45a0f83cdfd603

“BALLS to the wall and all in my friend.”

That simple message, typed by a man in his late twenties trying to come to terms with the immense power he had secretly amassed for himself, was a turning point from which there was no return.

Communicating on a clandestine online chat room under the now infamous pseudonym Dread Pirate Roberts, the bright young kid who grew up in Texas was committing to paying for a murder — or so he thought.

He is of course, Ross Ulbricht. The founder of notorious online drug market place Silk Road which rapidly grew to become the internet’s hidden one-stop-shop for all things illegal and nefarious.

He was chatting to the person he was paying to effectively act as a CEO consultant, to help him navigate his new-found illegal empire.

“Not to be a downer or anything,” the person operating under the alias Variety Jones wrote. “But understand that what we are doing falls under US Drug Kingpin laws, which provides a maximum penalty of death upon conviction ... The mandatory minimum is life.”

Like so many other Silicon Valley CEOs who disrupted the status quo, Ulbricht fell deeply for the seduction of creating something that became so hugely popular across the world and as such, he was undeterred. Balls to the wall.

And for a website that according to the FBI produced $US1.2 billion in sales and roughly $US80 million in commission for its creator, it’s easy to see why.

Fast forward to the present day, and Ross Ulbricht, now 33, occupies the same maximum-security New York prison as the world’s most famous druglord, El Chapo.

This may be what Pablo Escobar looks like in the Internet Age, as Vanity Fair writer and New York Times best-selling author Nick Bilton puts it.

At the height of Silk Road’s popularity, he lived in Glen Park, San Francisco and would routinely pass by the Glen Park Library where the FBI would eventually swoop on Ross Ulbricht.

“I was kind of mesmerised by the fact that he was running this website out of these little coffee shops that I would go to ... and this library I would pass by every day,” Mr Bilton told news.com.au.

Drawing on exclusive access to key players involved in the saga, as well as two billion digital words and images left behind by the Silk Road founder, he has written a forthcoming book called American Kingpin chronicling the shady rise of Dread Pirate Roberts and the frantic manhunt to uncover him.

UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES

In 2011, Ross Ulbricht, the 26-year-old programmer launched the website hosted on the dark web to provide people with a safe way to buy drugs such as marijuana and magic mushrooms. But it quickly became something he didn’t initially intend, and in the end to protect it and the wealth it generated, so did he.

“When you look at his arguments for the beginning of when he was working on the site and the concept behind it, they were very salient points,” Mr Bilton said.
He wanted to fix what he saw as a kind of hypocrisy and inconsistency in the system.

He thought “that legalising drugs was the best way to stop violence and oppression in the world,” he writes in the book.

000b2cafcecb7eb2ff804e2f15030794

American Kingpin by Nick Bilton

The obvious difference between Ross Ulbricht and your typical Silicon Valley CEO, as the author sees it, is that instead of flouting regulations around who could offer a taxi ride or what constitutes a hotel room (like Uber or AirBnB) his business involved facilitating the trafficking of illegal drugs and services.

“The more people I spoke to, the more I read of Ulbricht’s diaries — and chat logs and site comments, among other things — the more I realised that he had devolved in the exact same way as other tech entrepreneurs.”

Uber co-founder and CEO Travis Kalanick is notorious for breaking the rules and exploiting legal grey areas. He can pretty much look the other way when he ignores regulations and is happy to battle countless lawsuits thrown at the company, but Ross Ulbricht had to destroy other people’s lives in order to protect his business.

Even for staunch supporters or Mr Ulbricht, and there are many, it is tough to defend how quickly he turned to murder to protect his enterprise.

“When I started reporting Ulbricht’s story, I couldn’t understand how someone had morphed so quickly and so much — and, frankly, in such an evil manner,” he wrote in an excerpt from the book published in Vanity Fair this week.

As the website took off, Ulbricht became increasingly paranoid and in 2013 he paid a hitman to kill former Silk Road employee Curtis Green who was arrested in a botched cocaine deal, and who Ulbricht believed had stolen from him.

“I’m pissed I had to kill him ... I just wish more people had some integrity,” Ulbricht wrote to the online hitman he paid to carry out the job.

He even kept a picture on his computer of the supposedly murdered Curtis Green with his jowl hanging to the side. Proof of the murder.

But it turned out the hitman was actually a DEA agent and a can of Campbell’s soup was nearly all that was needed to stage the hit.

Ross Ulbricht may have professed to feeling unsettled by the experience of sanctioning a killing, but it was something he would attempt multiple times before he was caught.

CONT -

http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...SF&utm_source=News.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook

Wow :\ It's amazing how absolutely uncritical this piece is... it's little more than a promo for the book. PR at it's finest I guess 8)

I picked this book up yesterday after reading this thread. Finished it today. It was pretty good.

Really? Have you been following this story since way back when? I guess if it isn't too expensive, I'd probably enjoy it too.

I hadn't really followed it closely back when it happened but I was aware of it. Always wondered how they caught him and the book does a good job of laying that out. It also talks quite a bit about Ross's personal life, the genesis of silk road, and the staff of SR. Its crazy how they ended up catching each and every one of the staff also. Ross definitely made some stupid mistakes in the early days that came back to bite him in the ass.

Unfortunately the book is hardcover so its $30.