• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Ambien vs Xanax on a flight

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I'll be going to the States this summer and the whole flight will be quite long (9+ hours). I'm torn between taking zolpidem or alprazolam and whether it's a good idea to even take them given the disinhibiton they cause.

I was thinking of sticking to 3mg Xanax as it will relax me through my whole journey (waiting at the terminals, sleeping on the flight) whereas 20mg of Ambien will only just let me fall asleep but not even stay asleep.

Which is better?

Personally I think 20 mgs of Ambien is a bit much. IME even at 15 mgs memories begin to get a little hazy. I'd recommend a standard therapeutic dose of 5-10 mgs.

3 mgs of Xanax also seems slightly excessive to me, especially if it's something you don't take regularly.

Personally I'd prefer Ambien in this situation, at least if I were attempting to sleep through most of the flight. It would put me in the headspace of wanting to sleep, then hopefully I'd fall and stay asleep. If I wanted to be awake and somewhat conscious, perhaps the Xanax split into several doses.

Like the other guy said, unless you have a massive tolerance and familiarity with benzos/zdrugs, your doses are huge. If I took 3mg of Alprazolam on a plane I can guarentee you I'd be put on a world wide no fly list lol.

Ambien causes much stranger behavior and a higher incidence of blacking out. 3mg of xanax is also a LOT, that would make me black out. Unless of course you have a tolerance.

Be careful... I once took twice the dosage of benzos I had previously taken (I had little experience at the time) before a flight, and I lost my memory before I even got to the airport, and it came back many hours later, when I was at my hotel. Somehow my autopilot was on point because I navigated 2 flights and a layover, renting a car, and following some Mapquest directions I printed to the hotel. And I also took a shower, I came to coming out of the shower and putting on my work clothes (it was a business trip). Who knows what could have happened, it scared the absolute shit out of me.

The one time I took Ambien on a flight, I stood up while we were taxiing and started to walk down the aisle towards the cockpit. Apparently, I felt an urgent need to talk to the pilot and tell him not to take off because "the plane shouldn't be doing this!"

This was a little after 9/11, so I'm just lucky that no overzealous "air marshal" was onboard to shoot me dead for it. Instead, thanks to a kindly flight attendant shepherding me back to my seat, I survived to wake up hours later with my face in a plate of food and learn what I'd done.

Based on that experience, I vote for Xanax. Never got into trouble on a flight with benzos unless I mixed them with excessive amounts of alcohol.

Last edited:
Xanax will treat jet lag almost certainly. Not sure if ambien does.

I’d roll the xan

Do not drink any alcohol with it.

Side effects may include having a REALLY good time! :LOL:

The one time I took Ambien on a flight, I stood up while we were taxiing and started to walk down the aisle towards the cockpit. Apparently, I felt an urgent need to talk to the pilot and tell him not to take off because "the plane shouldn't be doing this!"

LOL that's hilarious!

People have the craziest stories with that drug...

Xanax makes you nod more. So I would go with that. Don't stop breathing though. Watch your Dose !!

xanax, ppl on ambien wake up and do dumb (usually harmless) but nothing you want to insist on doing while asleep on a plane.