• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Ambien questions

TrapZeppelin

Bluelighter
Can anyone tell me what exactly makes you feel so happy after taking an ambien? It’s like all the days worries are gone. I just love everyone and everything after I’ve taken ambien. I would love to know if there is a similar drug out there with similar euphoria. Anyone??

Depending on your age, ambien tolerance could built up fairly quickly. Older patients are more sensitive to the mild euphoric feeling. Ambien, generic name zolpidem, does have competitors. Just google it. To answer your question, I'm familiar with Restoril (generic Temazepam), which is a mixture of a mild hallucinogenic with small dose of valium to be taken at bedtime. Driving while taking either of these is dangerous. Beware of all Benzodiazepines. Detoxing from any of these is a very tough task. Having been prescribed xanax for years, I quit taking it (under physician's supervision) and that was the longest two YEARS of my life.

I would love to know if there is a similar drug out there with similar euphoria. Anyone??

Other "z-drugs"

YMMV

I too enjoy the mental effect of zolpidem. The onset of the drug is a very calming dreamy feeling...it's the only GABAergic I've ever taken with anything approaching "recreational value"

Zopiclone is closely related, but tbh zolpidem is in a league of its own. Not one I will touch again, but I did have some massively enjoyable evenings on that stuff. Zopiclone has some similar effects but is less intoxicating and leaves you with a terrible taste in your mouth.

To answer your question, I'm familiar with Restoril (generic Temazepam), which is a mixture of a mild hallucinogenic with small dose of valium to be taken at bedtime.

Not sure where you got this idea from; Restoril (brand name) is a benzodiazepine. It does not contain either a hallucinogenic or valium- its purely temazepam. Very strong hypnotic, some people experience euphoria from it but as with all of these drugs, the addiction potential makes using them recreationally a pretty risky move.

Depending on your age, ambien tolerance could built up fairly quickly. Older patients are more sensitive to the mild euphoric feeling. Ambien, generic name zolpidem, does have competitors. Just google it. To answer your question, I'm familiar with Restoril (generic Temazepam), which is a mixture of a mild hallucinogenic with small dose of valium to be taken at bedtime. Driving while taking either of these is dangerous. Beware of all Benzodiazepines. Detoxing from any of these is a very tough task. Having been prescribed xanax for years, I quit taking it (under physician's supervision) and that was the longest two YEARS of my life.
Thanks for the reply. Been taking ambien pretty regularly for 7 years I’d guess. I don’t abuse it but I do love it. I know I can’t keep taking it specifically though. My pain management clinic has said no more zolpidem and pain meds :( and I also kicked a 10+ year Xanax use. It was pretty limited though, under .75mg a day. But yeah it was not fun.

I was just hoping to hear that someone had found something new to be similar. I doubt restoril would be prescribed to me. And other z drugs don’t do shit. Since becoming active on bl, I hear about analog this and that (I’m clearly a noob and have no idea how unsafe those things are). Thought possibly there was some new hip thing I’m missing out on. Sounds like I’ll have to take a trip to Mexico any re-up ?

Last edited:
Zopiclone is closely related, but tbh zolpidem is in a league of its own. Not one I will touch again, but I did have some massively enjoyable evenings on that stuff. Zopiclone has some similar effects but is less intoxicating and leaves you with a terrible taste in your mouth.

Not sure where you got this idea from; Restoril (brand name) is a benzodiazepine. It does not contain either a hallucinogenic or valium- its purely temazepam. Very strong hypnotic, some people experience euphoria from it but as with all of these drugs, the addiction potential makes using them recreationally a pretty risky move.
Yes I’ve tried zoplicone. I just felt terrible the next day because I didn’t sleep and it made me hungover

Other "z-drugs"

YMMV

I too enjoy the mental effect of zolpidem. The onset of the drug is a very calming dreamy feeling...it's the only GABAergic I've ever taken with anything approaching "recreational value"
See I don’t know about the gaba correlation. That’s where I was hoping I could find something similar... I’m pretty naive at this point besides being very accustomed to taking ambien for so long

Can you take higher doses of zoplicone to feel anything close? I took 20 mg the second night I tried it and still nothing

Z-drugs are also referred to as "non-benzodiazepines", as in "drugs that do not contain a benzodiazepine ring, but affect your GABA receptors in pretty much the same way that benzos do."

Zolpidem ("ambien") is more selective for certain sleep-inducing subunits of the GABA receptor than the vast majority of benzos (which is presumably why it seems to cause dream-like hallucinations and euphoria in some patients), but once tolerance builds, there is little difference between ambien and a plain benzo, except for ambien being much shorter-lasting than the average benzo.

The other popular z-drug is zopiclone/eszopiclone (sold as "imovane" and "lunesta"), which lasts slightly longer and is less selective in its action on the receptors than zolpidem... in other words, it is virtually identical to a "real" benzodiazepine, except for the shorter half-life.

Lastly, there is zaleplon ("sonata"), which is even shorter lasting than zolpidem, which means that there should be a reduced chance of hang-overs... of course, there is also a good chance you might find yourself waking up in the middle of the night and having to redose.

That said, improper use/abuse of (non-)benzodiazepine type drugs is a dark path to go down... these substances tend to be corrosive on people's personalities, and the first thing they lose while they're on them are usually their redeeming qualities.

Z-drugs are also referred to as "non-benzodiazepines", as in "drugs that do not contain a benzodiazepine ring, but affect your GABA receptors in pretty much the same way that benzos do."

Zolpidem ("ambien") is more selective for certain sleep-inducing subunits of the GABA receptor than the vast majority of benzos (which is presumably why it seems to cause dream-like hallucinations and euphoria in some patients), but once tolerance builds, there is little difference between ambien and a plain benzo, except for ambien being much shorter-lasting than the average benzo.

The other popular z-drug is zopiclone/eszopiclone (sold as "imovane" and "lunesta"), which lasts slightly longer and is less selective in its action on the receptors than zolpidem... in other words, it is virtually identical to a "real" benzodiazepine, except for the shorter half-life.

Lastly, there is zaleplon ("sonata"), which is even shorter lasting than zolpidem, which means that there should be a reduced chance of hang-overs... of course, there is also a good chance you might find yourself waking up in the middle of the night and having to redose.

That said, improper use/abuse of (non-)benzodiazepine type drugs is a dark path to go down... these substances tend to be corrosive on people's personalities, and the first thing they lose while they're on them are usually their redeeming qualities.
Well the good news is I can’t abuse them lol I don’t even have a script anymore. The laws in my state changed and if you’re in pain management, absolutely no benzos regardless of how small the dose. The area of zdrugs has not been so clear but my dr has said he won’t write the script but has been ok with it still showing up in my UA. Lol. So he really doesn’t care but doesn’t want the liability I suppose. My regular dr has no issue writing it but I’ve just been trying to find other ways to sleep since probably February to no avail. Only time I sleep is with ambien. Or Xanax which is a hard no from the docs.
Wtf do people with insomnia do? I have gone as far as purchasing two different expensive ass mattresses. Blacking out my windows. Making sure I take my last dose of hydrocodone no later than 4pm. Eating no later than 5:30pm (and I eat very clean on top of that). And trying to excercise if I’m not in pain, which is really only a couple times a week. And lastly I take all different kinds of herbal sleep remedies. Occasionally one might work somewhat for one night, but really no consistency and not quality sleep.
I’ve been wanting to experiment with microdosing of either mushrooms or dmt to see if by some miracle it regulates my pain and sleep. But I’m so out of the loop I can’t find it lol. I may be driving out to Colorado in the coming weeks. Anyway end rant. Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I’ve exhausted all resources

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what exactly makes you feel so happy after taking an ambien? It’s like all the days worries are gone. I just love everyone and everything after I’ve taken ambien. I would love to know if there is a similar drug out there with similar euphoria. Anyone??

I recommend Zopiclone (another "Z-drug") as similar to Ambien. You might wanna check out Zalepon. Haven't tried it myself but it's the third "Z-drug".

I recommend Zopiclone (another "Z-drug") as similar to Ambien. You might wanna check out Zalepon. Haven't tried it myself but it's the third "Z-drug".
Is eszoplicone the same thing? If so I have that as a back up. As much as I love zolpidem I do actually have insomnia lol

Is eszoplicone the same thing? If so I have that as a back up. As much as I love zolpidem I do actually have insomnia lol

Eszopliclone is pretty much the same thing, yeah (I forgot you don't have zopiclone in the US). I have insomnia, too. I find (es)zopiclone actually better for sleep than zolpidem. It doesn't knock you out as strongly as zolpidem but it lasts longer. With Zolpidem I sleep for like 4-5 hours so end up re-dosing at like 4am, but with (es)zopiclone I sleep 7-8 hours.

Do you think the following dosage is realistic? 7.5mg zoplicone = 10mg zolpidem. When I tried 15 mg of zoplicone it didn’t have quite the effects of 15 mg of ambien. Just curious if it just possibly doesn’t agree with me
Eszopliclone is pretty much the same thing, yeah (I forgot you don't have zopiclone in the US). I have insomnia, too. I find (es)zopiclone actually better for sleep than zolpidem. It doesn't knock you out as strongly as zolpidem but it lasts longer. With Zolpidem I sleep for like 4-5 hours so end up re-dosing at like 4am, but with (es)zopiclone I sleep 7-8 hours.
same! I wake up every morning at 3am. Which at that point I can’t take another dose because I have to be at work at 7:30, plus I have a very limited supply. Well next weekend when I don’t have to be up early I’ll try the eszoplicone again. Do you thing 7.5mg of zoplicone = 10mg zolpidem? That’s what google said but I’m not so sure I agree

Do you think the following dosage is realistic? 7.5mg zoplicone = 10mg zolpidem. When I tried 15 mg of zoplicone it didn’t have quite the effects of 15 mg of ambien. Just curious if it just possibly doesn’t agree with me

same! I wake up every morning at 3am. Which at that point I can’t take another dose because I have to be at work at 7:30, plus I have a very limited supply. Well next weekend when I don’t have to be up early I’ll try the eszoplicone again. Do you thing 7.5mg of zoplicone = 10mg zolpidem? That’s what google said but I’m not so sure I agree
Sorry I didn’t think I posted dosage before lol nevermind!

I'd probably say 7.5mg of Zopiclone was equal to more like 5mg Zolpidem in my experience.

I'd probably say 7.5mg of Zopiclone was equal to more like 5mg Zolpidem in my experience.
Have you tried remeron? It helps me to fall back into REM but it’s for very short spurts. Like 10 min intervals. But I’m taking 15mg and I’ve read for sleep, less can be more

Have you tried remeron? It helps me to fall back into REM but it’s for very short spurts. Like 10 min intervals. But I’m taking 15mg and I’ve read for sleep, less can be more

I have tried it, but it makes me feel drowsy well into the next day. If it's available and I really need something, I'll take it but I don't like to because of the weight gain it can cause. I've tried both 15mg and 45mg tablets and you're right, the 15mg actually worked better.
I take 150mg Trazodone at night and it's been working really well for me. The only downside is if I take it I tend to sleep for 12-16 hours so no good if I have anything to do the next day.