• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Ambien or something to help me sleep?

Yeah, ambien is not the greatest thing to help you get to bed when your body is racing like a champ. I think I will try to get my hands on a xanax or I will take some melatonin or something.

*Xplicit* said:
What about Lunesta? Has anyone tried it after E?

Lunesta (Eszopiclone) is just the new Zimovane (Zopiclone) and would be fine after MDMA.
I hear someone mention 15-20mg of Ambien (Zolpidem) .. overkill I reckon.

Half a Zopiclone (3.75mg) -OR- half an Ambien 5mg (Zolpidem) works fine for me.

^ Yes, the dosing you suggest is more appropriate.

People should realize the feeling from the "lunesta" type drugs are a little different from the benzodiazepines.

It's more of a mental relaxation, earlier sleep onset. Benzo's are more muscle relaxant, general calming.

Originally posted by Peter_Popper
Why not just go to the doctor and get some non-addictive prescription sleeping tablets that work?

Like what? Most prescription sleeping tablets are addictive, hence why they're prescription and not over the counter.

^ The jury is still out over the Z Hypnotics mentioned above. They may be habit forming (actually I'm certain they are for some people) but so far I've not read anything to indicate they are addictive per se.

That said Benzo's were once hailed as non addictive.

^ They work with the same system, the GABA system. So both medications will have similar effects if taken too much. Downregulation of the GABA receptors.

Kinda like benzo-addiction "light" since most of the GABA-B receptors should still be there functioning.

(but some of the GABA receptors contain both A and B subunits, so you still get regular benzo effects/tolerance at higher doses).

^ Yes, but I think the point was specifically about the addiction potential.

Benzo's = Yes
Non benzo hypnotics = Unknown

Benzo's physical withdrawl potential for seizures et al

^ There have been cases of pure addiciton with the zopiclone family of drugs. Mostly from patients with chronic insomnia, not really from abuse as a recreational substance.

Ah there lies the quantry ... was it simply habituation or addiction in classic terms i.e. physical withdrawl, seizures et al

^ Simply pharmacology. It acts on the GABA system, will have GABA withdrawal effects. Just not anywhere near "normal" recreational use:

Epileptic seizures as a sign of abstinence from chronic consumption of zolpidem
[Epileptic seizures as a sign of abstinence from chronic consumption of zolpidem]

[Article in Spanish]

Barrero-Hernandez FJ, Ruiz-Veguilla M, Lopez-Lopez MI, Casado-Torres A.

Servicio de Neurologia, Hospital Clinico Universitario San Cecilio, Granada, 18012, Espana. [email protected]

INTRODUCTION: Zolpidem is derived from imidazopiridine. In recent years it has been used as a non benzodiazepine hypnotic. It is a short acting inducer of sleep of similar efficacy to the benzodiazepines or zopiclone, but well tolerated and does not lead to drug abuse, rebound effects or abstinence syndromes. In this clinical note we wish to show that in spite of the descriptions in the medical literature, complications may follow long term use of zolpidem. CLINICAL CASE: We report the case of a 50 year old woman with no clinical history of interest apart from chronic insomnia and anxiety. She had been treated with zolpidem for the previous five years, at the usual dosage. However, since this seemed to be insufficient, the dose was progressively increased until in the months before she was seen by us she was taking a total of 450 mg per day in divided doses. She had drug tolerance, abuse and dependence. After a period of 12 hours without taking zolpidem she developed an abstinence syndrome, with generalized tonic clonic seizures and a prolonged post convulsion period which improved on symptomatic anticonvulsant treatment. CONCLUSIONS. In view of our case, and others described, we should be sceptical of the claim that zolpidem has no side effects, since it may give rise to tolerance, abuse and an abstinence syndrome. We consider that its indiscriminate use should be modified. Patients should be carefully followed up and medical prescription necessary to obtain zolpidem, as opposed to its current unrestricted availability.

I mean: 450mg a DAY ?!?!!?!?!!?!?

I think 20mg would be a bit overkill. I've had a "too much" experience with Ambien (which coincidentally was 20mg) and let's just say I've never repeated it despite having to get myself un-addicted after I was done with it.

sushii said:
Like what? Most prescription sleeping tablets are addictive, hence why they're prescription and not over the counter.

Ive been prescribed mirtazapine before, my doc informs me its non addictive, its an anti depressant, but when taken in small doses, 7.5mg, it works as a sleeping tablet. Much better than lying there awake all night!

lifeisforliving said:
I mean: 450mg a DAY

And there we have it 45 times a standard dose.
So yes withdrawal would be a problem in this extreme case.

Ambien is pretty good....I took one the other night and slept like a baby ...very deep sleep too, the kind thats not too long but definitely restful. (You know what I mean when sometimes you sleep for HOURS, like 12 hours, but dont feel rested? grrrrr i hate that....) I also find Unisom ( 25 mgs of Dyxylamine succinate) (sominex there, unisom here) makes me sleepy right away equivalent to maybe 15 -20 mgs of valium (although I hate valium /xanax for sleep, go figure......).

I think it all just depends on the person.

I find ambien to be very addictive. I always want to take one or two the following night, and when I don't, it makes for a terrible sleep. My body also quickly builds up an immunity to ambien, so I just end up dropping more and more pills each night.

Sleeping gels, NyQuil, and other shit like that just doesn't settle with my system. Valium or Xanax are great to slow me down and to get my ass in bed.

Having been on ambien daily for about a year longer than I should have been, I can say that once you get used to it you tend to fight off the sleeping effect. As a hypnotic, it tends to make things easily distracting and interesting. The reason it seems to help sleep is it keeps your thoughts from racing (at least in my case) and makes things like staring at a dark ceiling not as boring. If you take it and fight off the initial onset in the first 30 mins, usually you won't get sleepy for the next 4-6 hours or so it lasts (other than by naturally getting tired). So it can be used for an extremely nice combo with say, MDA. However it can make you a bit dopey (think alcohol type effects) and the memory loss at higher doses can be... inconvenient. I reccomend having a friend to keep you out of trouble if you're using it in public, and DO NOT DRIVE while on ambien. Seriously, hide your keys from yourself. I almost got into serious accidents twice because even though I KNEW what it did, it suddenly "seemed like a good idea" once I was on it.

I still have better results with benadryl than any over the counter sleeping pill (and believe me I've tried them all).