• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Am I weird for treating psychedelics as purely recreational?

Not everybody is profound, or has the capacity to experience reality in a profound way. In a few lifetimes psychedelics may do something with the quality of your consciousness that is profound. It won't happen on it's own though. You have to put in some real discipline. Start meditating now. There is nothing going on in your brain on psychedelics that cannot be accessed with a spiritual discipline. Sure you can psychedelics and watch bevies and butthead, and people here do. Perhaps you should read some of the people that have used them for insight and it will serve as a guide for you of what is possible. Start with Stan Grof's Beyond the Brain. Then try Ralph Metzner's Allies for Awakening. They are a couple of profound people who have used Psychedelics to accomplish profound things for themselves and many other people. The important question isn't whether you use Psychedelics recreationally, the important question is, "Are you using this rare lifetime recreationally." A human life is a rare opportunity. Don't blow it.[/QUOTE
After re reading your post(sober) I fully agree. I believe drugs are a short cut to our pleasures and senses that can be activated and stimulated in other ways just most of us are either to lazy or to busy to try and work at it.That's where the instant gratification of drugs come in especially in the society of I want this that and this but I don't want to do the work to get it.
Or maybe I'm just as much a dipshit sober as I am after a few mixed drinks,either way I guess I'll carry on!

I'm quite enjoying this conversation now! In my personal opinion, I think psychedelics can very well be used to learn, or rather discover, valuable insights for your life, how you live it, and your view on the universe, but as some of you have said it's information that already comes from within, it's just having that altered perception that really makes you see it in a different light and say "well god DAMN I know everything now!"

But I think psychs also have the potential to show you things that are usually always there, you just can't perceive them with your normal conscience. But that also ties in with the info-from-within-- I happen to enjoy philosophical wanderings of the mind, so this kinda stuff would naturally come about when given something of a mind-altering nature, thinking outside of the box and whatnot. If, like namnoc, you're a more grounded individual and don't subscribe to crazy shit like that, you probably won't experience much of that kinda stuff, or at least won't take it as seriously.

There's also a safety factor involved, ie not losing your grip on reality. One of my buds, he went wayyy too hard way too often before he was, as I would phrase it, "psychedelically mature," and now he's fried as fuck, any time you get him started he'll rant about this "loop" thing he discovered once and he believes this is how the universe works now. He has a lot of really weird shit to say which is slightly interesting but... I dunno where I'm going with that. He's not full on crazy, but I've heard of some people going into a dementia-esque psychosis due to far too heavy psychedelic/dissociative use.

And then you have shit like DXM where tons of people make contact with extra-dimensional beings and truly believe there's a conspiracy involving the human race's transcendence, aliens from another dimension, and cough syrup. I'm not gonna lie, I had an experience where a higher being I could not see showed me the fourth dimension (causing a rip in our dimension) and swiped it all away with a wave of its hand in about 10 seconds flat, but I know I was hallucinating, I don't think I was contacted by aliens that night.

tl;dr shit's crazy yo :D

In my mind it's like you may as well ask, "Is it weird that I'm human?"......

Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right

This about sums it up. :)

I always thought the terms "spiritual" and "recreational" were interchangeable. I think the lines get blurred. I also always felt the term "God" and "Mother Nature" could be substituted for each other too. Except people throughout history have added their own clauses to the word "God".

Fun is spiritual to me.

I don't really find anything spiritual about tripping, other than simply being overwhelmed at the intricacy of life and the universe / and generally philosophising about metaphysical sort of stuff... nothing serious/new-age/religious though. I find them about 50% recreational, 50% extremely powerful tools for probing your psyche.. psychedelics have deepened my interest and knowledge in the human mind and society an unbelievable amount. this is why I find it hard to find them purely recreational, it can often be very scary to me to look that deep into what makes us human. but that's what makes them such potentially powerful tools for therapy

That's normal from most of what I see

I tend to be in the minority when I say my usage is largely religiously focused. Recreational is there (by the gods is it there...) but it's not my main goal, it's not why

No

Everybody has a different relationship to psychedelics, drugs, sex, and many other things. It is personal and being different is fine. There are many like you who only use them recreationally so you are not weird.

I can't say if it is a blessing or a curse that some may apparently not experience deeply spiritual (nothing to do with religion here) or transformational effect. I have been helped a lot but have also been through a lot of hardship. So yeah it is kind of both that you are "missing out on", or ... not missing at all even!

No. Psychedelics are just drugs. Drugs that are different from other types of drugs, but still drugs. I don't care what people do with psychedelics, but I find it immensely corny when people try to lecture others on how they should approach them. I like psychedelics bc they're colorful and fun...and that's pretty much it.

I think the lines get blurred.

Exactly. Recreational vs. therapeutic is a false dichotomy. Therapeutic effects ARE enjoyable.

For the same reason, I feel that the most successful people in the world are the ones who are driven to do their work because they love it. Van Gogh didn't grit his teeth and force himself to paint because he had bills to pay, he did it because he was genuinely inspired to move people with his artwork, and I'm sure he enjoyed painting immensely.

No. Psychedelics are just drugs. Drugs that are different from other types of drugs, but still drugs. I don't care what people do with psychedelics, but I find it immensely corny when people try to lecture others on how they should approach them. I like psychedelics bc they're colorful and fun...and that's pretty much it.

this tbh

You must've missed MetanoiaMan recently lol

So I know that psychedelics are powerful tools that can be used for deep learning and spiritual growth, butttt I take them for fun.

That's not to say I haven't had some enlightenment along the way, and also not to say I don't respect the power behind these substances, but I just treat them as some of the best fun this world has to offer. Perhaps it's because I'm still quite young? Kind of like being a lush when you start drinking, you only drink to get drunk, but with time you gain an appreciation for the drink itself.

I think it also has to do with the substances I have under my belt, as most of them are more on the more recreational end of the spectrum, ie a lot of experience with psilocybin and very little DMT, know what I mean?

It would also be different if it were something I actually went into seeking information, rather than a good time.
I think its fine that you take them just for fun but im sure you must get other benefits from it maybe not realizing it.

My biggest things about psychodelics other than fun is they help me understand the deeper meanings of life.

Very interesting perspectives here, I like it.

I don't know if you guys can tell, but just about every opinion I hold is a grey area, and most contradict themselves; this is no exception.

Very well put Sweet Lady, I like psychedelics because they're colorful and fun too, that's all it is! I find that tend to judge how enjoyable a trip is by the intensity/character of the visuals I get above all other effects. But then I have had some spiritual trips too, which were immensely fun, on top of being meaningful to me. For example, once I was on a combination of 25I-NBOH and psilocybin, and I was walking around my yard in the middle of the night hugging all the trees in my lawn, and when I put my forehead to them I would get this connection, and have pseudo-communication with them, each tree had a different character, and a different color to their essence, it felt as though every tree had a soul all its own. I proceeded to piss on one, and I shit you not it smiled at me, and produced a blue aura (which I could only perceive while holding my head against it with my eyes closed).

I then talked my friend into riding to my house to let me bum some cigarettes of him (obviously too fucked up to get to the store myself), and I sat down on my front porch and closed my eyes. As I did this, I could feel all the land for miles around, all the trees and the wind and roads and hills and everything. I felt my friend approaching, opened my eyes, lo and behold here he is pulling into my driveway.

Did it have a profound impact on my view of the universe? Nah. I suppose it may have influenced my appreciation for nature. Was it immensely pleasurable, and spiritual in that I had a major connection with nature? You betcha.

Another thing I thought to add; even having a bad trip is recreational for me. A lot of the time, I'd choose a bad trip over extended sobriety, depending on how severe of a bad trip we're talking. I find that I can turn almost any bad trip into a good time, although it's still bad. I think I'll start a different thread on that topic, I find it slightly strange

I love taking psyches for fun but it's like using a hammer to smash bottles and never build anything if you don't use them spiritually too.

Being new to all of this, it's very amusing to see that there are people taking sides. Arguing whether it's purely spiritual or simply recreational is a senseless discussion, isn't it? LSD, at the core, is a very personal experience and make you introspective. What comes forth from that, is very personal.

Could we not fight over how you take LSD and simply enjoy the dank side of life?

Personally, it started as a purely recreational thing, among friends and that, in itself, has a latent, spiritual undertone. Camaraderie, at it's best. Some trips later, I've started to become open-minded to the possible spiritual effect. What I've learned with LSD, is that it can take you to places you wouldn't expect, so I'll just enjoy the ride.

Being new to all of this, it's very amusing to see that there are people taking sides. Arguing whether it's purely spiritual or simply recreational is a senseless discussion, isn't it? LSD, at the core, is a very personal experience and make you introspective. What comes forth from that, is very personal.

Could we not fight over how you take LSD and simply enjoy the dank side of life?

Personally, it started as a purely recreational thing, among friends and that, in itself, has a latent, spiritual undertone. Camaraderie, at it's best. Some trips later, I've started to become open-minded to the possible spiritual effect. What I've learned with LSD, is that it can take you to places you wouldn't expect, so I'll just enjoy the ride.

Hm, I don't think anyone's really fighting.. just a civil discussion about how individuals view their drug use ;)

No fighting allowed in this thread, or any thread that I start!! Peace, yo

300 mg of DXM is the lowest I'll go, but I usually stick pretty close to that dosage when I do it, if not that exact dose. The most I've ever done was 600 mg, which was damn near too much, although the trip was amazing