• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Already 9 days clean but starting 4mg Suboxone today

x2theC

Bluelighter
As the title suggests, it took so long between me last using 5 bags IV daily since January this year, I’m 9 days clean (it was no picnic)

Now today I’m meant to be starting on 4mg of espronol wafer strips of Suboxone to be titrated up to 12mg over 3 days.

I have had Suboxone years ago when I had maybe only ever done the odd CWE of Co-Codamol or Tramadol. And .5mg would really have me messed up.

so, I’m just a bit concerned that my tolerance will now be low enough that 4mg is going to be major overkill as my first dose. I have raised this with clinician but they said it’s a standard starting dose, after suggesting 2mg might be more prudent.

Any help would grand

You're over the hurdle. If you can get away with it, stop entirely. If you're worried about post acute withdrawal issued, this is a legitimate concern and, in fact, as every user of opiates knows, it's worse than the acute kind. So it might make some sense to get on maintenance after all. Your doctor is nuts to want to take you up to 12mg, though, especially for a habit that small. Just don't do it. I mean, under no circumstances whatsoever. Bupe is harder to get off than dope. You want to be on the smallest dose that satisfies. You can probably get away with the 2mg if not less and that's what you should do if you can.

Funnily enough this is the second post in 24 hours I've answered about people's doctors prescribing them more buprenorphine than they want to take. Fortunately, this admits an easy solution: fuck 'em, and take less. Money in your pocket or a stash for a rainy day. You can always take more if you need to.

Last edited:
When I first got on bupe my doc did the same thing. I wanted 4mg, he wanted 8mg, we compromised on 6mg. I think the reason they do this is to have your receptors completely saturated, a low dose of bupe, even though it might stop withdrawal might not entirely block the effects of other opioids.

You've only been using since january? or has it been more of an on and off thing with opioids? You could probably skate past this without any maintenance drugs, but if you have a long history of drug abuse, it might not be that bad of an idea. Another thing to consider is, how confident are you that you will be able to stay off heroin? If you don't know/aren't sure/afraid you might go back, suboxone would help protect you against the occasional loss of willpower.

The back side of course is, you will be dependent on this drug and if you ever decide to get off, you will without a doubt have a harder time than you are having right now.

You're over the hurdle. If you can get away with it, stop entirely. If you're worried about post acute withdrawal issued, this is a legitimate concern and, in fact, as every user of opiates knows, it's worse than the acute kind. So it might make some sense to get on maintenance after all. Your doctor is nuts to want to take you up to 12mg, though, especially for a habit that small. Just don't do it. I mean, under no circumstances whatsoever. Bupe is harder to get off than dope. You want to be on the smallest dose that satisfies. You can probably get away with the 2mg if not less and that's what you should do if you can.

Funnily enough this is the second post in 24 hours I've answered about people's doctors prescribing them more buprenorphine than they want to take. Fortunately, this admits an easy solution: fuck 'em, and take less. Money in your pocket or a stash for a rainy day. You can always take more if you need to.
Thanks for the swift response.

My use has of opiates has been on and off for a few years.

I’m just sick and tired of not leading a regular life, and I wanted to go on buprenorphine to help keep me away from injecting heroin again and all the risks that go with it. Oh and PAWs!

A major one is alienation from a family I really care for, as they for I. But IV Heroin is something they simply will not entertain after a decade of fiascos resulting from my poly drug use and alcoholism.

Luckily I’m in the UK so my script is free, but during the initial couple of weeks you have to be observed at the pharmacy before being given a weekly amount.

I will raise it with them today again and see if anything can be done!

When I first got on bupe my doc did the same thing. I wanted 4mg, he wanted 8mg, we compromised on 6mg. I think the reason they do this is to have your receptors completely saturated, a low dose of bupe, even though it might stop withdrawal might not entirely block the effects of other opioids.

You've only been using since january? or has it been more of an on and off thing with opioids? You could probably skate past this without any maintenance drugs, but if you have a long history of drug abuse, it might not be that bad of an idea. Another thing to consider is, how confident are you that you will be able to stay off heroin? If you don't know/aren't sure/afraid you might go back, suboxone would help protect you against the occasional loss of willpower.

The back side of course is, you will be dependent on this drug and if you ever decide to get off, you will without a doubt have a harder time than you are having right now.
Long history, well 2 years with heroin.

I do want it there as a form of protection against relapse. I’m not relying on it as I 12 step too.

I think I’m willing to have a worse time later so as not to spend all my money on heroin and be at the will of when my dealer can turn up (he is very poor at being on time) anymore, so I can get a job, start and regain meaningful relationships. And if this is something that can help that, I’m game!

Thanks for your reply!

I also don't se the reason to go on bupre if you already clean. The only time i would do this, is because im scared of a relapse or still in wd's but like you said you 9 days clean so most wd's should be gone and now it should be more of a mind game. Plus also agree that those dosages are a bit heavy. When i got myself of H and moved over to bupe i never went above 4mg and now im on .5mg and thats only for the last month. Im already starting to try and skip days or space out the time of using it longer apart to wean myself of the bupre too. I honestly would try not use the bupre if not needed.

Cheers, I'm happy you got away from the dope. I would think that 4mg of buprenorphine wouldn't be too overwhelming, a lot of people take 8mg. I was taking 16mg but have dropped to 8 mg and am planning on coming off it in the long run.

Congrats, great job dude!

I'd say take it easy with the suboxone - it's _so_ much worse than heroin to DT from.
(Granted, I've never been up at five bags/day. Guessing a bag = 1g?)

And I think 2mg would be sufficient, tbh.

They always rack that fucking med through the roof.

Maybe it's too late but I wouldn't bother taking suboxone unless you really think it'll help. I say this because I've been sober a year three months and I used suboxon a million times it never worked long term. I think it's a trigger to do real drugs. You can't convince me other wise this time I've managed to stay sober and with out sub. My doctor offered it though but I kinda freaked out saying no way I'll never take that stuff again. I dunno. Whatever works but if you were on the fence it's never too late to go cold turkey and stay that way. If I put any thinking power behind subs they just scream bag idea to me. I don't see how people take them forever. But what do I know. Good luck. Hope you stay sober. If you've never been sober along time I'll tell you it takes a year to really start to feel better. I used to think it took three months but I've only started really feeling better recently. Way past a year into my sobriety.

Fuck me, that's heavy.
Again, congrats, that is amazing dude.

That's cool. I hope it works out good for you dude!
Is that:

A) Fuck me, that's heavy (heroin use),
or,
B) fuck me that's a high dose of bupe to go on for that size habit?

Starting to feel it. I won't keep bumping this thread. But will report back later on tonight.

Peace

Is that:

A) Fuck me, that's heavy (heroin use),
or,
B) fuck me that's a high dose of bupe to go on for that size habit?

Starting to feel it. I won't keep bumping this thread. But will report back later on tonight.

Peace
As in A).
As in fuck me, I'd fucking die trying that

Do so man. ✌️

It was actually not bad at all. However, i dont think the pharmacist really explained i should hold my saliva for a minimum of 2 minutes and no food or drinks for 5 minutes after that.

So just had my second titrated dose of 8mg, and did it as per the guidelines.

Let's see if it makes a difference. Well, obviously it's double the dose, but like if it really really is much different than just doubling the dose. Assuming the dosage response curve is linear vs non-linear.

That is not nearly long enough, I try to hold it for 30 minutes to get the maximum effect, but 15 is probably enough.

That is not nearly long enough, I try to hold it for 30 minutes to get the maximum effect, but 15 is probably enough.
Just to clarify I am being given buprenorphine in the form of “Espranor Oral Lyophilisate Wafers”.

I was going by the guidance in the package leaflet information for the user. Which states “Place the wafer on the tongue and close your mouth. Allow it to remain there for a few seconds until it has dissolved. Try to avoid swallowing during the first 2 minutes. Do not eat or drink for at least 5 minutes.”

I held my saliva for 5 minutes and didn’t eat or drink for over an hour.

Should I be treating the time I hold my saliva as long as the sublingual equivalent? It’s stated that Espranor’s absorption is up to 30% more than the equivalent dose of a generic Subutex sublingually.

Got to go back to the pharmacy now as at 9am when I got my 8mg they didn’t have the 4 days supply for me in stock for over the Easter Bank Holiday Weekend while they are closed.

I’ll ask them what their thoughts are.

Thanks again!