• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Alprazolam vs Valium vs Clonazepam

The Lorazepam has a shorter half life and a quicker onset of action.
That's why I would take it before the procedure.
And yes I feel it would do a better job than clonazepam. (But that is just my opinion).
You can take the clonazepam afterwards if needed.

I took the 1.5 lozapepam about 40 minutes before I was sposed to be there. Then I found this Benzodiazepine Comparison Table. It states 0.5mg Alprazolam is = 0.25mg Clonazepam. I felt that wasnt enough so I took an additional 1mg Clonazepam about 20-30 minutes later. Essentially it was the same as 1.75mg clonazepam if I did that right. The math portion of my brain is smooth. Anyway I was noticeably less fidgety before the procedure and the meds helped significantly. I couldnt tell if I had a buzz with the nitrous blasting in my nose and a Bushmaster 223 in my mouth. Afterwards, I went directly to the pharmacy and filled the RX for 10mg percs and took one. I was fealling pretty good, stopped on the way and got some Kettle's and Red Bull for later. The pain came back 7 hours after the perc. I did another one expecting to be ready to go but I started feeling crappy and laid down and fell asleep. Up now but dont want to do anything but eat and go back to bed.

Hi Bluelight Crew,

Im on 10mg of nitrazepam a day obviusly ment to be taken at night and used to be prescribed valium as well but now i only get nitrazepam i have found when i take say 20mg of valium that it is a bit stronger than taking 20mg of nitrazepam.

I have got to point where im taking 5 mg of nitrazepam 2x a day usually in the morning and at night scince coming of valium is this a bad thing to be doing. It feels like im starting to withdraw about 18 hours after my last dose (their kinking in now actually ! ) if i dont take them 2x a day. Is this real withdrwals kicking in or am i just thinking that i am starting to withdraw from benzo's. its weird when i wasnt prescribed nitrazepam i found them stronger than valium but now im not prescribed valium and only nitrazepam i find that the valium probably does more for me now. Odd one eh ? :?

I also find xanax does fuck all for me i once took 30 250mcg tablets in one go and got fuck all off them they wasnt fakes either i assume thats ment to be quite a high dose 7.5mg for xanax.

Interesting question as these are the 3 main benzos ive been using lately. Oxazepam was common for awhile but for someone with a tolerance like me oxazepam is basically useless, was good for awhile though.

If you had unlimited amount of either drug id say Valium first, then clonaz, then alprazoam. That would have been so different only weeks ago but ive come to like clonazepam a lot lately and my xanax tolerance doesnt seen to be so affected by clonaz. Alpraz is great for getting fucked up on if your tolerance is low or you have enough but the other two are great for chilling out. I had bad back pain and I had some clonazepam whic helped immensely. Xanax doesnt have muscle relaxing qualities, vals and cloncaz does so it heped a lot with the pain/

Lorazepam 2mg any day of the week. I've taken it 3-4 times a day for 10 years for acute panic attacks.

laCster
xanax is fun, and is good in its own way. it packs a punch, kicks in super kick, but has no legs; so i get cracked out when i come down leading me to take more xanax. alprazolam works well delivering anxiolysis, but is not very sedating, and sucks in the muscle relaxent/anti-epileptic department. finally, xanax is a short-acting benzo so it causes me to crash.

Completely agree. I find Xanax very morish and lacking in any recreational value, misses that "bliss, not a care in the world" type feeling I get from Valium or even other benzos. I don't fall asleep easy either but it does tend to zonk me unexpectedly just as the dose gets to being almost passable as recreational feeling. Despite it being my least favourite out of the ones I've tried it is the only benzo I've ever wound up abusing for long enough to wind up withdrawls funnily enough.

King Hop Head

So how does Etizolam rate with these guys? Pretty close to Zanax but a bit longer lasting.

For me Etizolam is better than Xanax. Packs a fairly equal level of punch the only difference is with Etizolam there is a bit more of a recreational aspect and bliss that you'd get from Valium in there aswell, slightly longer lasting than Xanax but not as long as Valium and just as morish as Xanax from the limited experience I have with it didn't last long.

DumbPenguin

I tend to be redundant in saying this, but it's important: Benzos are best left as MEDICINE. People who abuse benzos make it much harder for people with horrible anxiety to get these prescriptions. /Rant

My Medical Appreciations:

Alprazolam - Short acting. Perfect for stopping panic attacks in their tracks. Calm me down in time to consider my panic and think it through. Wonderful breakthrough panic medication.

Clonazepam - Never been prescribed. From colleagues' experiences, I'd say it is a good anti-anxiety medication, nearly as efficacious as alprazolam but much long lasting. Unless you have the wafers, Clonazepam is probably better suited for anxiety as opposed to panic attacks.

Dizepam - I appreciate Diazepam mostly for its muscle relaxant properties. Best muscle relaxer I've tried (never tried Soma). Anti-anxiety profile is okay, but doesn't touch xanax in my mind. For me, it was far more sedating than ^.

Although I do agree with the first bit there is a fine line. I have anxiety but I also find them recreational, and there is an element of abuse potential.

For me it would be Valium first, then after I'm not really sure, probably Xanax, I've only had Clonazepam once but I didn't rate it at all at dose of 4mg even, wound up scoffing into my vals/etiz instead.

Xanax isn't really recreational either I don't find, between that and the short half-life it lends itself to repeat dosing with me trying to achieve the muscle relaxation and chilled feeling I'd get off Valium. It is quite good for getting a sleep after stimulants and even almost recreational at doses of 4-5mg and a couple of drinks.

The problem with Alprazolam/Xanax is the cracked out feeling after. I get a much better "chill, everythings gonna be alright" kind of effect from 20-30mg of Valium than I would from 3mg of Xanax, which should be the same as 60mg of Valium... I know which one I'd rather have anyway.

Last edited:
they all have their uses.
librium (Chlordiazepoxide) for a light day time chill, or to come off booze.
xanax (alprazolam), much of a muchness, but waay more addictive and gives weird dreams.
Clonazepam, onset takes ages, but lasts for 12 hours or so, great for sleepy time in the clouds.
Valium, depends, such a generic term, but generally a good all rounder.
Horses for courses, as much as I hate that idiom. each and everyone is different especially with ben'zo

Hi folks, a good friend of mine has given me a couple of Clonazepam tablets to use sparingly when I'm close to running out of Oxy (I bite my Oxy's in half to take them) but I'm only ever used to taking Diazepam and have never taken Clonazepam so I'm wondering how much stronger is 0.5 of Clonazepam as opposed to 10mg of diazepam??

Edit: I just checked the tablets and they are 0.5.

I have a pretty high tolerance to Diaz as I use a lot for when I fly due to phobia and I use about 20mg just to take the edge off my WDLS when I run out of Oxy.

Thanks in advance for your replys.

Last edited:
^ 0.5mg clonazepam = 10mg diazepam

Difference in the feeling but that is the equiv. dosing.

Well medically;

Alprazolam = rapid action (15-20mins), only for phobia,panic etc.
Diazepam = rapid action, all-round benzo (seizures, muscle etc)
Clonazepam - moderate action (60min onset, 8-18hr duration). To me clonazepam works the most "medicinally" and I am most intruged by its action. It is basically diazepam x 10 for me, its an all-rounder too just as midazolam and nitrazepam are oh and lorazepam.

I can't really explain a "feeling" to you.. at least not right now, too tired lol.
Just look them both up on wiki or something and read about them.
Maybe someone else can explain it better. They do pretty much the same thing.. they don't feel drastically different so don't worry about that.
A benzo is a benzo but most people have a list in which ones they like more.
Here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diazepam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonazepam

I like clonazepam better than diazepam but i think most would say diazepam has more of a euphoric feeling (if you're even able to get euphoria from a benzo, I can't they just chill me out and let me go throughout my day normally)

I love how these threads pop up, already replied but I have my final anser. 3.Valium- Nice long half life, mellow, the kind to take 60-80mg(only with high tolerance!) and just dick around on the computer, tv, listen to music, plus muscle relaxtion..don't like it daily cuz it makes me lazy/sleepy/kinda deppressed at high doses often. 2.

2. Klonpin- Longer half life, doesn't make me sleepy unless I take alot, same stenth mg for mg as Xanax, GREAT for anxiety, by far the best for anxiey IMO.

3. Xanax- My Favorite! Hit's fast, actually gives me a little euphoria other benzo's don't..only con is short half life so the redosing. Also, gives me energy unlike the other two, but not like anxious energy. Only way I get tired is if alot is taken.

Funny to see this thread on the front page of the forum. Just a few days ago I searched " clonazepam vs alprozolam" and found this thread and read just about every single post. Now I can put my two cents in since I didn't want to resurrect an old thread at the time.

3: diazepam. I don't have much experience with this one, which might be why I'm rating it last. Took it a few times a couple of years ago though. I wasn't majorly impressed, although it was nice enough. The next two I have lots of experience with

2: alprozolam. It's a close tie with clonazepam though. I love the very quick onset. I don't have to worry about the timing of my dose, just have to take it 15 minutes before I'm ready for its effects. I'm naturally shy, and I date a girl who loves to go out and drink with friends. So these are great to have for that purpose. Hard to gauge the dose sometimes though. Too much with a few too many beers and it's a blackout. I hate blacking out, but even when I do my girl friend says that I have a great time and socialize my ass off. And haven't embarrassed myself yet she says. Although I'm sure there were a few times a few years ago I did on this substance

1: clonazepam. Only thing I dislike is the slow onset. Have to time this one very carefully, because it often times takes 2 hours to fully kick in. Love it once it does kick in though. The anxyiotic effects are superior to any of the three benzos to me. And unlike alprozolam, I'm not very prone to blackouts on this one. My thoughts seem much clearer too, probably because of the more subtle nature of clonazepam and the longer half life. I love the long half life by the way. I feel like clonazepam is much more versatile than alprozolam as well. I can use it to go out partying with my girlfriend too, or I can take it at home on a day off and just chill around all day.

So that's my vote. Thank you everyone else who shared your opinions, I learned a lot from them and enjoyed reading them as well.

P.S.....I've tried temezepam a couple of times and really wish I had access to it. I envy any of you who do. I think it would rank ahead of alprozolam and only behind clonazepam for me.

Older thread, yes. But I want to share my .02 on the 3.

My favorites in order,

1. Diazepam
2. Clonazepam
3. Alprazolam

Diazepam is the most complete benzo IMO.
With the longest half life, best muscle relaxing properties, mood lift, and euphoria, Diazepam has it all.
It also doesn't make you Zombie like like Alprazolam and Clonazepam do in higher doses.
Since 0.5mg Clonazepam = 0.5mg Alprazolam = 10mg Diazepam,
There's no comparison there. I don't see ANYONE picking 2mg of Clonazepam or Alprazolam over 40mg Diazepam for recreational purposes.
I also don't see anyone picking 0.5mg of Clonazepam or Alprazolam over 10mg Diazepam for theraputic purposes.
I know they're all Rx'd for different things, but they're also all Rx'd for the same thing also, Anxiety.

The value of Diazepam out weighs both Alprazolam and Clonazepam.
Esp when Alprazolam and Clonazepam are supposedly 4x more potent than Diazepam.
But that's stupid because there is NO WAY I'm going to choose 2mg of Clonazepam or Alprazolam over 40mg Diazepam.

^Everyone has their own preference.

I just want to correct the rampant misconception that clonazepam has a shorter(some claim much shorter) half life than Diazepam; it's simply not so. Both vary wildly; Clono: anywhere 12-80 hours, but averages 18-60 in healthy subjects, with a mean of 30-40h

Diazepam: 20-50 hours in healthy subjects, (though some sources say 20-80) but can last a maximum of 100 hours in the elderly, or those with hepatic? dysfunction.
The mean has been listed in the range of 34-48h.

In any case, with benzos especially, half-life and duration are two totally, completely unrelated things. Diazepam is a fast acting benzo, with a short duration of action; Clonazepam is slow acting, with a long duration of action. You could consider Alprazolam an intermediate(it is classed as such) but it doesn't really last much longer than diazepam, though a couple of bars would probably f' up a newbie longer than the equal Diazepam dose.

Finally, everyone is different(EID) but, with a SINGLE DOSE Alprazolam and clono are considered equipotent(though obviously have they're own properties.) but with chronic dosing clono builds up, and even with sub chronic dosing, compulsive redosing of clono pin will often yield a potency 1.5-2x that of alp.

As far as nordazepam, it's listed anywhere from 2-200 hours, again, 200 hours is the max, and applies to those with decreased metabolism. The mean is less than 100 hours, and in any case, it's a partial agonist, with a duration of 4-12hr at standard therapeutic doses. Supposedly, 15mg=5-10mg diazepam, = 0.5 alprazolam = 0.25-0.5 clono.

(Though the range is 10 -20mg, all charts differ, YMMV, no purchase required, blah blah)

I'll try and post sources at a time able

Hmmm. Yes, but certainly not in that order. Add nos 4, 5 & 6 as being lorazepam, bromazepam and triazolam.
I would certainly prefer to take alprazolam before ANY other benzo; its potency, the purer and far more pleasant, less heavily sedating effects are far more to my liking.
The cost of my Xanax script made me change to lorazepam 2.5mg qds; onset of action is roughly the same but lorazepam just doesn't have the pleasant feeling alprazolam gives.
Diazepam is far too sedating at far too low dosages to be of much interest to me, so that woukd certainly be the last in a 'preference' list. Valium brand has not been available here since about 1997 and the generics dispensed (Actavis and Teva for the greater part) are of much poorer quality than those from other EU countries - Terapia, Apaurin and the Abbott Roche-Licenced Valium brand from India feel far nicer and help my anxiety/panic symptoms better by far than any of the garbage dispensed in the UK.
Triazolam is superb at doses of over 0.75mg, but too addictive and 'moreish'; tolerance develops faster than almost every other on the list so I'd class it as an occasional treat.
Lexilium by Alkaloid of Macedonia is commonly found online, is licenced by Roche, should therefore be identical with LEXOTAN, but for some reason (as with Pfizer South Africa 2mg Xanax) is much more subjectively potent and pleasant than the same thing made elsewhere. A mystery.
I am prescribed, and have been now for over 10 years, clonazepam 2mg tds - but since Roche withdrew Rivotril in the UK (a consequence of directives issued to pharmacies to dispense the cheaoest available generics - thank the Lord that LONGTEC Oxycodone m/r are precisely the same tablets as branded Oxycontin; made on the same production line at the same factory, same imprint, everything except the different blister pack! - because Actavis RELTEBON and Lannacher OXYLAN, the only other generics available, are both complete duffers feeling around half the strength of OC/LONGTEC, and my docs seriously underestimate my pain levels forcing me to use Private Prescriptions online to top up my analgesia; I need rescue meds since OC lasts only 6 hours average, not the 12 as stated on the box. But I digress.
BRomazepam is not currently licenced in the UK, but I am able to get a 180 day supply whenever I take a bus to Continental Europe, bringing back a good mixture of 12 qnd 6mg tabs along with my Palfium (dextromoramide) which has been withdrawn in Ireland now so I must go to Netherlands for my supplies. Bromazepam, my average dose being c.24-30mg, gives Very similar anxiolysis to diazepam (ie larger doses required, but being much less sedating, more like medazepam than diazepam, that ancient and relatively rough drug). I think the reason diazepam is so popular in Scotland is that doctors here use it as the first benzodiazepine they think of, maybe because of the long half life, disregarding the dreadfully high sedation levels - something your average Scottish pillhead prefers to a better and more pleasant BZD effect, of which alprazolam, in my opinion, has no equal. We can only get branded Xanax here, no generics at all, but only up to 0.5mg strength, forcing me to use my Belgian pharmacy, where 2mg bars are cheaper than 0.5 'UPJOHN 55' pills are here!
I missed out the information re my prescribed clonazepam. The generic has serious bioavailability problems compared with Roche branded Rivotril, so I make sure that I always have a supply from Roche dispensed in the Low Countries to hand. If left with only the Auden McKenzie generic, I would be needing 8 - 10mg daily instead of 6mg. It is by far the best BZD or, in fact, any tyoe of drug, on the market which has a preventative effect for panic attack as well as epilepsy. Xanax is the perfect drug for acute anxiety attacks, but the recommended treatment given in the BNF to doctors is lorazepam 4 or 5mg IV.
So I'll finish up by saying that clinically, alprazolam is without doubt the best, followed by clonazepam and bromazepam; recreationally, alprazolam comes second to triazolam in high dosage, and I will stick out my neck by saying that the Terapia (formerly the Romanian State Pharmacy company, now owned by Ranbaxy but still as superb in quality as ever) brand of diazepam comes third.
Inasmuch as the word 'euphoria' can be applied to BZDs, alprazolam wins by a distance, and flutoprazepam or triazolam come next. Flutoprazepam can now be had only from Japan, branded RESTAS (1 & 2mg available). Come to think of it, prazepam itself (Lysanxia, Centrax) isn't too bad either!
If we want to talk 'zombies', I have seen enough to convince me that the average Scottish diazepam user, whose average dosage is in excess of 100-150mg, is the personification of such!

Older thread, yes. But I want to share my .02 on the 3.

My favorites in order,

1. Diazepam
2. Clonazepam
3. Alprazolam

Diazepam is the most complete benzo IMO.
With the longest half life, best muscle relaxing properties, mood lift, and euphoria, Diazepam has it all.
It also doesn't make you Zombie like like Alprazolam and Clonazepam do in higher doses.
Since 0.5mg Clonazepam = 0.5mg Alprazolam = 10mg Diazepam,
There's no comparison there. I don't see ANYONE picking 2mg of Clonazepam or Alprazolam over 40mg Diazepam for recreational purposes.
I also don't see anyone picking 0.5mg of Clonazepam or Alprazolam over 10mg Diazepam for theraputic purposes.
I know they're all Rx'd for different things, but they're also all Rx'd for the same thing also, Anxiety.

The value of Diazepam out weighs both Alprazolam and Clonazepam.
Esp when Alprazolam and Clonazepam are supposedly 4x more potent than Diazepam.
But that's stupid because there is NO WAY I'm going to choose 2mg of Clonazepam or Alprazolam over 40mg Diazepam.

Last edited:
Honestly, I love them all. I don't want to decide. Here is what I think.

Xanax for recreation, I prefer it for abuse and getting loaded.

The other two I keep on hand for self-medication, and don't really abuse them.

Valium is great for a long and sustained relief from stress without being too sedating. I can feel a single 20 mg dose for close to three days.

Klonopin is wonderful for any kind of body aches or tight muscles, sometimes when I'm sore from work 1 mg and a hot tub turns me into a cooked spaghetti.

Midazolam, intravenous, well...

Last edited:
IMO Valium is the best of all benzos and after 35 yrs of research I can Tell you the best roa is orally on an empty stomach with a hot coffee or whatever.