• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Alprazolam Taper, Does This Sound Right?

Also, how likely are seizures from 10mg and below? In terms of discontinuing cold turkey... I'm not abke to find a source.

Are the withdrawls from 10mg and 2mg really much different?

Yeah, 10mg is an insanely high dose and 2mg is a fairly normal high-ish dose. 10mg cold turkey is very likely to cause seizures. 2mg is possible too.

As I implied earlier, the ashton martin manual is garbage imo. With that schedule I wouldn't be done with the taper until the end of the year. Starting with 120mg diazepam daily. Nope.

It's not garbage. It sucks but the only safe way to get off benzos is a long, slow taper. It can take a year, it's just how it is. Benzo withdrawal causes brain damage and can kill you, it's nothing to mess around with.

I am not saying it doesnt work, because it would. That's why I edited to say it just wasn't for me... I've managed just fine thus far. Currently on 10mg diazepam daily. 5 in the morning and 5 at night.

Are you thinking I'm talking about Alprazolam???

Oh shit yeah I did, sorry. Okay, 2mg of diazepam is obviously quite low. Alright well you should be able to get off much quicker than I thought if you're talking about diazepam. And once you get down to 2mg I would think you might be able to jump once you feel stable on it, and just have to deal with a fairly long period of anxiety and not feeling right.

Oh shit yeah I did, sorry. Okay, 2mg of diazepam is obviously quite low. Alright well you should be able to get off much quicker than I thought if you're talking about diazepam. And once you get down to 2mg I would think you might be able to jump once you feel stable on it, and just have to deal with a fairly long period of anxiety and not feeling right.

Okay, I thought so. Lol

I'd say today is my first stable day of 10mg. Going from 15 to 10mg (33% drop) was a bit much. Other than minor anxiety and intrusive thoughts, still no withdrawl... That could just be me going through too much at once though... Working with the clinical pharmacist to control my blood glucose better, therapy, coming off benzos, breakup, moving out of state... Stressszzzz

Last edited:
Today I planned on dropping to 7.5mg daily, but I screwed it up already, lol. So I'll start tomorrow.

7 days of 7.5mg
7 days of 5mg.
Done? Maybe, but I might take like two 2.5mg doses every other day.

I'm over it.

Lowering your dosage isn't nowhere as hard as quitting completely. When you try to go to zero, you'll be in a difficult situation. Keep something around to replace your benzos at all time. I'm back to using alcohol untill my 3-meo-pce arrives.

Rather than jump straight into 0 mg, you can start by alternating days off, and then every 3rd day offfor a bit and so on. Effective for something like diazepam, which has that long half life.

Watch out for vibrations, if they show more appearent you are most likely close to having an epileptic seizure. The whole universe consists out of vibrations but at such moments you are able to see this much more clearer. Keep some sodium valproate & valproic acid around.

My understanding is that the risk of seizures is near zero when dropping straight off from 10mg or below. (Doctors words, not my own theories)...

I'm well aware that it's going to uncomfortable to drop off at the end, but I think I'm prepared.

Trazodone and or benadryl for sleep

Promethazine and or scopalamine for the nerves and nausea

Gabapentin for the nerves and sleep

And liquor, yeah I'll ride out the next two weeks drunk. Lmao, kidding

I make use of trazodone and seroquel, alcohol to lower my tolerance gradually. Using about 2 x 12mg bromazepam daily now. It's a very long difficult experience to quit.

Eek, I kinda really hate seroquel. Blackouts are easier with that stuff than any benzo ime...

Btw, I wasn't calling out your use of alcohol as an aid. I will probably be doing the same in the next couple weeks. Still haven't asked the doctor about that, lmao. In fact, I got my last script last Wednesday. 21 5's, those on top of the numerous 10's I still have will get me through it which I was completely honest about. I mean, he knows my taper is going faster than it should, and that I have plenty of the 10's left, so there is no point in lying, plus I fucking hate lying, it sucks.

Sounds like you're well on your way to getting off the benzos. If I remember correctly you started off on a huge amount of that bromazepam ?

Last edited:
Everyone is different. You can do a lot of damage and never have a seizure. It doesn’t mean you’re OK - something I learned.

Care to share? I am interested...
OH god.... CONFESSIONAL BOOTH time, this is THERAPEUTIC CONTACT, Captain, nothing to be afraid of...

well, yeah I'm ashamed to say this. I kept telling my ex and best friend of five years that he was probably not doing terrible neurological damage due to his drinking because he hadn't had a seizure. He never had a seizure his entire life. He is dead now from organ failure from drinking. He was only 40 years old. Liver, kidney failure. Ethyl-alcohol will kill you if you abuse it, morning to night, for at least 1-2 decades in a row, or longer. It will. It's only a matter of time. Below that, you have a chance of living.

He is now ashes. That's all. Even if you aren't seizing it doesn't mean your body is totally alright.

The good news is that benzos don't trash the internal organs like alcohol from what I've heard so you have that to go with. Alcohol may or may not be a drug of abuse in benzo users though so I guess typing this out wasn't a gigantic waste of time.

I guess a benzo non-death parallel would be like you can still be psychologically hooked without a seizure. I guess that's all I meant. I don't even remember posting that. Grief fucks with your short-term memory and I've experienced that *twice* this year so FUN FUN FUN. Life is very long.

Fuck, Captain. That is heavy. I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm sure you've been told the same thing before, but the burden of your friends choices aren't yours to carry. I've had similar feelings. Like, I could have stopped it. Like, "if I'd been around, he never would have put the gun in his mouth." And I know words from friends, family, and therapists do nothing, let alone words from a stranger. And to be perfectly honest, my best friend has been dead for almost ten years and I still feel that way, and I truly think I only started grieving in the last year...

Benzos are a weird thing... Not like opiates at all. As far as the withdrawl and cravings go, anyway (FOR ME). I've no cravings for benzos, I don't want them ever again.

With opiates on the other hand... I haven't shot dope in over 6 years, but there will always be something in the back of my mind that tells me being a street junkie is a much easier life than working a job and maintaining a home, family, etc.

That is most of the reason why I'm so ashamed by all this. I know drugs, and yet I still let myself fall face first into Xanax. My close friends and family know, but I can't bring myself to tell the person/people that I want to be closer to...

Thought maybe I'd mention that I'm also on Bupropion, an NDRI. Literally, the only antidepressant that's had even a remotely positive impact on me.

Now, before this turns into a cry fest... Here's to my third day on 7.5mg. like I've mentioned before, I seem to be hit much harder by the emotional impact than by the physical

Last edited:
that you can’t have seizures 10mg and below sounds like some nonsense your doctor made up. i wouldn’t rush the end. not because you might have a seizure, but because it will leave you feeling bad which will make not going back more difficult. going slow might help you maintain that “don’t ever want to do them again” stance. also benzo withdrawal is unhealthy.

glad to hear you’re doing so well.

Wasn't planning on it, but I only had 5mg yesterday. So I guess that's settled, dropped from 7.5mg to 5mg daily.

I'm curious to hear how the dissociatives
are working out for you, Aeon.