Alice in Chains - anyone obsessed like myself?

Yeah Layne Staley's voice is definitely one of a kind, I still blast Junkhead by them whenever I'm on my way home from copping dope or when I'm about to do a line. That song gets me pumped up to do drugs as bad as that sounds but that's how Layne truly lived back then so of course I relate to him in that way. R.I.P. Layne & Mike Starr

Yeah Layne Staley's voice is definitely one of a kind, I still blast Junkhead by them whenever I'm on my way home from copping dope or when I'm about to do a line. That song gets me pumped up to do drugs as bad as that sounds but that's how Layne truly lived back then so of course I relate to him in that way. R.I.P. Layne & Mike Starr

lol such a great song to get high to.

I still blast Junkhead by them whenever I'm on my way home from copping dope or when I'm about to do a line. That song gets me pumped up to do drugs as bad as that sounds but that's how Layne truly lived back then so of course I relate to him in that way. R.I.P. Layne & Mike Starr

You realize he denounced that song when he was dying from his heroin addiction right? I like that song too, but surely there's a better reason to listen to AIC than to get pumped up to do drugs that destroy your life.

Last edited:
You realize he denounced that song when he was dying from his heroin addiction right? I like that song too, but surely there's a better reason to listen to AIC than to get pumped up to do drugs that destroy your life.

you realize he denounced it but originally sang/wrote it and was one of top performances I THINK at least. I would say a good amount of AIC fans are dope fiends themselves; they found someone/something they can feel themselves; the same struggles layne was going through many users are going through and so many of the tracks hit close to home for a true dope fiend. so yes, we all love Layne for his pure talent and everything he was about, but there are also those certain songs that make you think of that certain drug, or get high to that drug, just like layne did when singing certain songs/times.

Yes I do realize this, and I'll denounce this song from my life when my using days are over. I listen to AIC for several other reasons btw

you realize he denounced it but originally sang/wrote it and was one of top performances I THINK at least. I would say a good amount of AIC fans are dope fiends themselves; they found someone/something they can feel themselves; the same struggles layne was going through many users are going through and so many of the tracks hit close to home for a true dope fiend. so yes, we all love Layne for his pure talent and everything he was about, but there are also those certain songs that make you think of that certain drug, or get high to that drug, just like layne did when singing certain songs/times.

I think the point was he was glamorizing heroin/drugs in that song when his addiction hadn't taken total control of his life, but in the end when it got bad he realized he was wrong. He wasn't talking about struggling with it he was downright advocating it, but I suppose I don't have any real dog in this fight. I just think it's stupid when people use certain songs to justify or feel good about using hard drugs. I think I can safely say it's not what Layne would want and there's really nothing glamorous of dying from drug abuse.

BUT, with that said that's just one song. Like I said I still do like that song for the vocals and instrumentation, there's just a bunch of songs I can relate to better personally. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
just wanted to bring it back to the tops.. because.. lets face it.. NO ONE IS BETTER THAN LAYNE and AIC!

nowadays w/ DuVall, its OK.. I give the dude credit. there was a recent interview where he basically says he cannot be compared to Layne; they are two different people and he's well aware. he is with the band because they are his friends and they put together good music, but people have to stop comparing.

when you think about it, DuVall has been w/ AIC longer than Layne was w/ AIC. yes, the original put out far better music because their lead was the ABSOLUTE MAN and Jerry was very young and putting his heart into it all - not to say he doesnt do that nowadays - but things are certainly different.

I am pretty sure not a day goes by where I do not listen to AIC - was just listening to WOULD live performance at the Singles party; this is another GREAT performance, man.

Layne is the ONLY dude I know where his LIVE PERFORMANCE ARE JUST AS GOOD AS RECORDED SOUND: sometimes LIVE is even better than recorded. isnt that crazy, man!? his voice can carry like no other; dont care what anyone else says but this dude is truly at the top when it comes to by vocalist out there. esp. for his type of music.

Lyrics from Junkhead live at Singles party

A good night, the best in a long time
A new friend turned me on to an old favorite
Nothing better than a dealer who's high
Be high, convince them to buy

What's my drug of choice?
Well, what have you got?
I don't go broke
And I do it a lot

Seems so sick to the hypocrite norm
Running their boring drills, yeahhhhhhh
But we are an elite race of our own
The stoners, junkies, and freaks

Are you happy? I am, man.
Content and fully aware
Money, status, nothing to me
'Cause your life is empty and bare, yeahhhhhhhhhhh

What's my drug of choice?
Well, what have you got?
I don't go broke
And I do it a lot
I do it a lot, I do it a lot, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

yeahhhhhhhhh, ohhhhhhh, yeahhhhhhh, doooo it a lottttttttttttttttttt yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You can't understand a user's mind
But try, with your books and degrees
If you let yourself go and opened your mind
I'll bet you'd be USING like me
And it ain't so badddddddddddd, yeahhhhhhhhhhh

What's my drug of choice!?
Well, what have you got
I don't go broke
And I do it a lot... I do it a lotttttttttttttttt! yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!
I do it a lottttttttttttttt
I do it a lottttttttttttttt
said I do it a lottttttttttt!

Thanks, a lot!

I love AIC!! RIP Layne and Mike. Would still like to go to a concert Jerry is keeping the band alive. Been listening to Would? It's getting me through some tough days with relapsing.

Yup Alice in Chains kicked ass. Nirvana was more popular but much unlike Nirvana basically all of their songs where fucking awesome. Layne and Jerry had some of the best vocal harmonies of any band in the 90's that's for sure.
when you listen to UnPlugged and you listen to Brother it just blows you away; hearing those 2 together when the music stops.. its a beautiful thing.

Their unplugged session of Would is better than the album version IMO. Layne gave it all he had and for that I salute him because he looked rather uncomfortable. Trying to shake my own demons and AIC is my therapy.

dude, the whole UnPlugged session is ONE OF A KIND! NOTHING IS BETTER, man. NOTHING IS BETTER!

dude, the whole UnPlugged session is ONE OF A KIND! NOTHING IS BETTER, man. NOTHING IS BETTER!

Agreed! They could play and sing live better than most bands out today. Layne and Jerry have the best harmonies. Those two together were definitely one of a kind!

I forget if we already said it but I am sure it was said somewhere.. but if you listen to Brother in UnPlugged.. damn, those 2 could make you cry when the tunes get cut and you just hear them go at it.

I can't really decide which album is their best, because Facelift and Dirt are equally awesome!! The two best tunes are "We Die Young" and "It Ain't Like That" from Facelift and "Junkhead" and "Rain When I Die" from Dirt take the cake when it comes to druggie songs...IMHO, of course. Without a doubt, it's heavy duty stuff, man... 8(

there is no "best" album; we are talking about fucking ROCKSTARS, man! EVERYTHING THEY DID WAS GREAT!

have you ever heard a band sound just as good, if not better, LIVE!? seriously, man.. Layne would belt it out live just as good as it sounded on the album. I have watched so many shows in slow motion on YouTube just to see if it is "real" because I sometimes cannot believe what is happening. he puts his heart and soul int each one of those; some of those hits so close to home the tears build, esp come UnPlugged. these guys are a beautiful band to watch. even throughout UnPlugged Jerry kept taking a look over at Layne w/ just a "WOW" on his face having Layne belt out and hit those certain marks.

"Frogs" has been on my playlist a lot recently. Had a falling out with someone I believed to be a good friend and that drew me to this song.

Absolutely LOVE these guys, been listening to them for almost 25 years. They will always be my favorite. Unplugged was amazing, but my favorite album is probably Dirt. I love how some of those songs are so in your face, totally unapologetic! Was supposed to see them at Woodstock '94, but they cancelled, unfortunately. No matter what, these guys will always be the soundtrack to my life. No one could sing it like Layne.