• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol safe for meth comedown?

Green Power Ranger

Greenlighter
Thinking about getting a little bottle of vodka or a beer I dunno but this is dragging out nd I don't want to do anymore, just wanna sleep, I feel super weeaak but unable to sleep. Anyone have exp with drinking alcohol like vodka or a beer?

My advice: absolutely no. You are already likely dehydrated and very depleted of all kinds of things - the alcohol will only compound that. If you are the kind of person whose meth comedown involves anxiety or depression then your alcohol hangover will just feed that and make you 10 times worse. One beer won’t do anything to help sleep and you’d still need a lot of vodka to knock you out.

If it was nighttime there I’d take a hot shower, get into bed, listen to some chill music and do some deep breathing to at least relax you. Then when the day breaks get out of bed and stay awake doing chill stuff until the next evening when you should be able to re-enter your normal sleep cycle. If it’s daytime I’d go to the pharmacy and get some OTC antihistamine sleeping aid.

It's controversial. I agree that it's not a good drug to come down off meth for A LOT or reasons.

However I personally have a few on meth comedowns. It should be noted that I also take benzos...

Nothing but alcohol on meth comedowns is asking for a bad time, especially if you haven't eaten or stayed hydrated.

It's much more likely you will drink too much, still feel twacked out and not be able to sleep. Now you're meth comedown has turned into a meth comedown hangover... and don't forget alcohol prevents good sleep cycles.

Last edited:
I regularly do this and am doing it right now, but I dont disagree with the above. Not exactly anyway. It actually is nice in a way, just watch out for winding up in a volatile state. Keep the amount of alcohol to a happy medium and eat and drink water too.

Benzos are better for this than alcohol.

In the name of HR make sure your hydrated 1st and stay drinking water too if you plan on having a few shots. I've done it plenty of times and it helps me get to sleep. Don't over do it with 10+ shots. 4-5 shots over a 2-3 hour time deff took the edge off. Eat while your at it too before you sleep

Personally it just makes me feel worse and increases my HR.

If you're doing this make sure to get enough electrolytes too!! Hydration is not only about water, you need at least some salt and ideally magnesium and a source of potassium too. (Never take potassium supplements unless you really know what you're doing, it can give you an arrhythmia if you take too much)
Heavy drinkers and stim users should take a vitamin B supplement as well.

If you haven't had enough food and been doing meth for a while then drinking alcohol and pure water will deplete your electrolytes even more, needless to say this is not good.

TLDR: get some salt into your system bro, don't just drink a bunch of water.

I can't think of many substances I'd avoid during a stim crash more than alcohol.
IME, all alcohol does is kill off any remaining traces of the meth high and replaces it with, not only new cravings for meth, but this nasty sensation that i can feel in every organ in my body, like poison or something.
The feeling of disphoria is bad.
Like a new understanding of what "boredom" actually means.

Guaranteed bad time made worse.

Last edited:
I can honestly say that even if I had nothing but alcohol for a stim conmedown I still wouldn’t take it.

I’d go for relaxation/mindfulness/breathing techniques, warm baths, long walks, chill music, watching TV until the next night. Basically anything to avoid alcohol triggering some kind of mood disorder like depression, anxiety, anger, rage etc etc.

But not everyone has the mental challenges I have or reacts to a conedown in the same way.

I can honestly say that even if I had nothing but alcohol for a stim conmedown I still wouldn’t take it.

I’d go for relaxation/mindfulness/breathing techniques, warm baths, long walks, chill music, watching TV until the next night. Basically anything to avoid alcohol triggering some kind of mood disorder like depression, anxiety, anger, rage etc etc.

But not everyone has the mental challenges I have or reacts to a conedown in the same way.
Very true. The rule of thumb back in the day was simply to expect ol' Newton's law each and every time. The pleasure achieved during the high would be mirrored upon crashing.

What has me curious though is the stark difference in felt effects between benzos and alcohol considering they're both targeting the same receptors/region.

What has me curious though is the stark difference in felt effects between benzos and alcohol considering they're both targeting the same receptors/region.
Good question. I’ve wondered that myself. And why alcohol highs and benzo highs are different. Maybe because alcohol also has effects on other organs that then have an impact on the brain?

Good question. I’ve wondered that myself. And why alcohol highs and benzo highs are different. Maybe because alcohol also has effects on other organs that then have an impact on the brain?
I think someone on here mentioned it having to do with alcohol's relative weakness as a drug in general. If you think about it, what other psychoactive substances require ingesting anything close to the volume in liquid ounces needed to feel their effects?

This from Mayo Clinic

Various factors may contribute to a hangover. For example:

• Alcohol causes your body to produce more urine. In turn, urinating more than usual can lead to dehydration — often indicated by thirst, dizziness and lightheadedness.
  • Alcohol triggers an inflammatory response from your immune system.Your immune system may trigger certain agents that commonly produce physical symptoms, such as an inability to concentrate, memory problems, decreased appetite and loss of interest in usual activities.
  • Alcohol irritates the lining of your stomach. Alcohol increases the production of stomach acid and delays stomach emptying. Any of these factors can cause abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting.
  • Alcohol can cause your blood sugar to fall. If your blood sugar dips too low, you may experience fatigue, weakness, shakiness, mood disturbances and even seizures.
  • Alcohol causes your blood vessels to expand, which can lead to headaches.
  • Alcohol can make you sleepy, but it prevents deeper stages of sleep and often causes awakening in the middle of the night. This may leave you groggy and tired.

Congeners​

Alcoholic beverages contain ingredients called congeners, which give many types of alcoholic beverages their flavor and can contribute to hangovers. Congeners are found in larger amounts in dark liquors, such as brandy and bourbon, than in clear liquors, such as vodka and gin.

Congeners are more likely to produce a hangover or increase the severity of a hangover. But drinking too much alcohol of any color can still make you feel bad the next morning.

I think i'm going to permanently remove Alcohol as one of my Stimulant come down assistants.

I'm currently coming down right now and I haven't drank any alcohol during this come down.
To be honest, I don't miss the Alcohol and the drop in stimulation is happening more gradually, almost a semi-enjoyable experience itself.

It's interesting because I've never consciously abstained from using Alcohol to assist the come down while actively paying attention as the stimulation diminishes.

I'm going to pop a Xanax soon and kill the experience completely, but I figured I would mention that this comedown is not as steep as others I've felt and i'm probably going to end up attributing that aspect to not using Alcohol to assist it.

I've had some enjoyable experiences as a teenager getting drunk when the meth high was running out but there was still enough stimulation to add the to the feeling of the alcohol. But in my adult life I wouldn't have considered such a thing since I always have a cabinet full of meds to choose from for the comedown, but maybe I'd consider it in an emergency. Probably isn't very healthy....

I think i'm going to permanently remove Alcohol as one of my Stimulant come down assistants.

I'm currently coming down right now and I haven't drank any alcohol during this come down.
To be honest, I don't miss the Alcohol and the drop in stimulation is happening more gradually, almost a semi-enjoyable experience itself.

It's interesting because I've never consciously abstained from using Alcohol to assist the come down while actively paying attention as the stimulation diminishes.

I'm going to pop a Xanax soon and kill the experience completely, but I figured I would mention that this comedown is not as steep as others I've felt and i'm probably going to end up attributing that aspect to not using Alcohol to assist it.
Does xanax work well for you? I find the stimulant + disinhibition effects a VERY VERY dangerous combination.. I could tell some funny stories... anyway I find seroquel works better for this purpose.

Does xanax work well for you? I find the stimulant + disinhibition effects a VERY VERY dangerous combination.. I could tell some funny stories... anyway I find seroquel works better for this purpose.
To be completely honest,

I've never used an anti psychotic that I'm aware of. I'm familiar with it being used for coming down off powerful stimulants like Meth, but I've never been offered or known someone with access.

Xanax, combined with 20mg of Melatonin is currently the only come down assistance I fully trust to effectively kill the high enough to sleep after a long fun night or at the end of a binge.

I'll admit that I've not experienced how well other benzos and anti psychotics assist in inducing a crash to facilitate sleep, I only started using Xanax last fall in 2020 .
Before that I would would always just ride the comedown with Alcohol and Cannabis assisted by Melatonin, did that for years and it worked at the time well enough for me.

I already typed up the story which led to me switching to Xanax for inducing my crash and limiting cannabis use during my use of a Stimulant. Lemme go find it real quick and i'll post it here.

Found it . I just copied it from a PM I had with the story in it.

"Yea bluelight is actually the reason I discovered that cannabis and meth don't mix for me.
One time I had been up for over 60 hours and I was overamped, and I knew it.
I knew that I was going to be awake for another 12 hours if I didn't do something to kill the trip, and I did not want to know where that would lead me.
I didn't have any benzos, this was before I discovered that melatonin can work while stimulated and I hadn't learned how to meditate yet. I rolled a big fat joint and smoked all of it while chugging a few beers, and then I was fucked.
I began sweating and freaking the fuck out in my head. Nothing in particular, but just one fucked up full body panic attack from hell and I could not calm the fuck down. This was the only time in my life I had done drugs and said to myself " I fucked up, I really really fucked up". I didn't know what I had done to myself. I called my ex-girlfriend and all I could say was " I've been up for almost 3 days straight on meth and i'm freaking the fuck out".
She immediately came over and gave me 2 Xanax and rubbed my back and comforted me and I passed the fuck out. She was gone when I woke up but I remembered everything and spent the whole day, sober, researching what the fuck happened to me on the internet.

Apparently, according to multiple threads on bluelight: when you're overamped, sleep deprived, and have a brain flooded with dopamine... Cannabis will fuck.your.shit.up. I had never experienced that ever, and thanks to bluelight and the knowledge here, I never did again.
I also created a rule that I forgot to mention on my thread, I never indulge in stimulant use without Xanax. I only use Xanax to kill a trip, that's it."

Yep that was a bad fucking night. I know a lot of people have multiple worse nights than this and I do know that I got off easy after reading up on BL after the fact.

Last edited:
Found it . I just copied it from a PM I had with the story in it.

"Yea bluelight is actually the reason I discovered that cannabis and meth don't mix for me.
One time I had been up for over 60 hours and I was overamped, and I knew it.
I knew that I was going to be awake for another 12 hours if I didn't do something to kill the trip, and I did not want to know where that would lead me.
I didn't have any benzos, this was before I discovered that melatonin can work while stimulated and I hadn't learned how to meditate yet. I rolled a big fat joint and smoked all of it while chugging a few beers, and then I was fucked.
I began sweating and freaking the fuck out in my head. Nothing in particular, but just one fucked up full body panic attack from hell and I could not calm the fuck down. This was the only time in my life I had done drugs and said to myself " I fucked up, I really really fucked up". I didn't know what I had done to myself. I called my ex-girlfriend and all I could say was " I've been up for almost 3 days straight on meth and i'm freaking the fuck out".
She immediately came over and gave me 2 Xanax and rubbed my back and comforted me and I passed the fuck out. She was gone when I woke up but I remembered everything and spent the whole day, sober, researching what the fuck happened to me on the internet.

Apparently, according to multiple threads on bluelight: when you're overamped, sleep deprived, and have a brain flooded with dopamine... Cannabis will fuck.your.shit.up. I had never experienced that ever, and thanks to bluelight and the knowledge here, I never did again.
I also created a rule that I forgot to mention on my thread, I never indulge in stimulant use without Xanax. I only use Xanax to kill a trip, that's it."
There were multiple mistakes I made on that Meth trip, but the cannabis fucked my shit up in the end and never again have I pushed past 50 hours awake and even then, that's a rarity.
I also refrain from Cannabis use after a redose. Call me paranoid but I remember just the flood of panic setting into my whole body as I was smoking my joint and not thinking anything of it, until it didn't stop. A flash of panic consumed my body as some sort of fucked up Salvia high until it filled my head too. Nope. Fuck that. Never again.

I prefer the occasional 30- 40 hours and then accept that my fun is coming to an end.
Like right now lol I induced my crash 20 mins ago with .5 g of Xanax with 10 mg Melatonin and in about 10 minutes I'll pop another .5 Xanax and another 10 mg of Melatonin, chug a bottle of water and be out like a light very soon.

Current run is 36 hours by the time sleep hits.

3 doses of Meth, 25 mg each. Snorted. Spread across this time frame.

Last dose was about 14 hours ago. But I also didn't drink a lot of Alcohol on this trip as I mentioned, so I feel like it took a little longer for the last re-dose to finally start fading which is my signal to pop the Xanax.

Calculated as it may sound, I promise everyone on BL that I am not trying to figure out how to treat ADHD with Meth. I like my recreational trips and treat them as such lol, I'm not gonna lie.

Last edited:
Very true. The rule of thumb back in the day was simply to expect ol' Newton's law each and every time. The pleasure achieved during the high would be mirrored upon crashing.

I think alcohol effects a lot more than gaba, just about every neurotransmitter from what ive heard