• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Alcohol, not drugs, poses biggest date rape risk

Cocaine isn't physically addictive and is a totally different drug than alcohol, alcohol is alcohol, opiates are opiates its pointless to compare apples and oranges. I have never seen anyone had bad trips on alcohol, but I haven't seen anyone wreck their car and die on shrooms. I would also like to add that this article is nice to see, but is all information we already know.

Addictive is a pretty loaded word. In any and every contemporary definition Cocaine is physically addictive. All substances cause a degree of withdrawal, but most people can go through the physical symptoms but the mental dependence is what gets them. Except for drugs that can kill you when you're not on them and alcohol is the sole proprietor of that. And the exception to that is the ill-health caused by the drug itself and the habits of use that directly your health later in life. Heart-attack, cancer, lung problems, brain damage, strokes, and all those fun things. The mental aspect is what gets people. I have what I call the Big Three (maybe everyone calls it that I don't know). Coke, Meth, and Heroin. I never touch them or go near them. I find that ego-drugs have much more ego torturing withdrawal. In general with high highs comes low lows. Systems must find a balance otherwise they destroy themselves. Drugs change the balance and pretty much only time seems to correct this.

Peace,
PL

Manifespo said:
Controversial? Seems common sense to me. Most violent crimes are linked with alcohol, including rape, murder, and assault- not to mention DUI wrecks.

I get really frustrated with the Panglossian view of Alcohol in Americans minds. To today's collegiate youth the only way to socialize at night is through alcohol- one of the most dangerous, painful, and disorienting drugs- yet people don't even recognize alcohol as a drug. Even after they are puking in their roomates bed or pissing on their computer. Yet mention natural drugs like psilocybin mushrooms, cannabis, or coca leaves- and Americans will be gossiping about your drug problem. It seems drugs are only drugs if they are illicit.

At a date rape drug informational session which I attended for free pizza at ohio state three years ago, a woman spent an entire hour denigrating Rophynol, GHB.. all the media's spotlighted date rape drugs. Her movies showed all these teenagers at bars getting wasted. Yet the only warning from this lady was protect your drink from spiking by date rape drugs.

Like you could even protect your drink from a determined spiker. It just takes a tiny squirt of colorless liquid in a blink of an eye. I'm just saying if you want to be completely protected, the first step would be not to visit the bars.

Nevertheless, I think the important fact from this study is the real danger is not from spiked drinks, but the actual drinks themselves (containing up to 70% alcohol- the same amount as hand sanitizer). Alcohol is the NUMBER ONE date rape drug.

To compare, it seems airline risk is quite less than automobile risk, but more people are afraid of flying than driving. Similarly, theres much less risk of spiked drinks, but ladies are much more afraid of "drugs" than the actual toxin they are ingesting with each drink.

Fucking snap. Right on brother. Peace.
:)

I get really tired of this too. I just started going to school this year and a few people I knew from back in the day ended up going to the same school I'm at. They're always talking about getting "fucking drunk/wasted" and stuff like that, but if I dare to mention some my special diet they run for their lives, warning me that my brain is probably useless by now and that I'm gonna go crazy. So frusturating. They won't listen and don't give a shit because of shit they hear in the news and from their fuckin stupid parents. Oh well. More drugs for us...

How do people not realize that alcohol is tied to all kinds of shitty events? It doesn't take much to see it in everday life. How many people do you see flippin out on mushrooms compared to stupid drunk ass kids tear assing around puking all over? If you don't wanna get raped don't get shitty drunk 3 times a week with a bunch of essential strangers. Try some better drugs. Alcohol sucks.

Off course more people are gonna be raped while being drunk, as more people drink than take drugs.

Its common sence.

does it really matter whether it is alcohol or a pill, the blame lies entirely upon those doing the raping. If we all become aware of the current "methods" employed, so do they, and they will seek new ones. Does this mean that one day we will be blaming guns for rape, seeing 80% of rape victims will in the future be raped at gun point?

sick of hearing stupidity... lets address what it is that creates sexual predators, and stop finding reasons and excuses for their behaviour. Hell, whats to say that at the moment 99.9% of rapists aren't themselves drunk or drug fucked, and it is irrelevant whether their victims are either, except that they don't want to get caught.

Psychedelics_r_best said:
I know exactly what you are talking about and its so ridiculous. This kid that sat next to me in chemistry last year was a drinker, but I prefferred shrooms, and he would tell em how bad it is. When I tried to tell him shrooms arent toxic or bad for you at all he burst into these laughing fits like I was stupid. Then he wouldnt even acknowledge alcohol is a drug. Its ridiculous, many people jsut dont understand, they think just because its legal, it is safe. Its just plain ridiculous. Fuck the war on drugs.

Word.

I thought I was gonna say something like "TV is a damn good drug, cos no one seems to realize its effects," but instead, I'll just say another thing.

Concensus is really all that matters. When it comes down to it, all you've really got a priori is that you sense things, everything else is just a belief. Most people today are so significantly marginalized in their ability to think freely because of our tendency to absolutize the culture, that people like this guy you were mentioning can't really even be said to be responsible for the way they view the world. They're just sheeple.

Fuck, I couldn't even have the perspectives I have on any topic if someone hadn't explained it to me and then we came to an agreement on it. It's like, people complain on this board alot about the evils of alcohol. Yes, statistically, it causes more shit, but that could be just because so many more people drink than take other drugs.

Look, here's the thing, I just feel like all these types of discussions are meaningless. They all point to general problems with society, and how we are misled . . . boo fucking hoo. We will never get any better at this until we realize that the lack of agreement on a common purpose for the species is the root of all problems. So, even deeper than that, we see that the problem is that we have no defined purpose. Maybe what you're here for is to realize that sometimes you should think outside the immediate situation to get a fuller grasp of "reality."

It's like, that question "why are we here?" Fuck, what if the reason why we're here is to realize that that question doesn't fucking matter!? Haha, I'm starting to sound more and more like an anarchist every day, and I used to think those guys were lazy, just like the athiests:p

Hey guys, I'm enlightened, it's my magic bandaid for every problem! I don't even need to be involved in the real world, because I'm so fucking smart that I know everything.

Look, I'm not serious about some of this stuff, the last paragraph included. It's just a perspective on some shit that someone might benefit from. I've never found it bad to hear more different sides of stuff, but I can't guide you through the process. I just know that when you're ready, the teachers will present themselves (that is not me, muhfucka!)

I have seen people have 'bad trips' on alcohol. It definitelx does happen. Hence all the violence it causes.

One thing nobody has written so far is that some people (who may not feel like having sex with their friend or a stranger while sober) might be of a completely different opinion after a few drinks and then just go with the flow (though the flow may be created by the other person who wants to have sex with them). Feeling bad about it afterwards, embarrassed perhaps, or ashamed, unable or unwilling to remember all the details that led to the act (to which they may have consented) - depending on their relationship with this other person - they just might claim they were forced into it.

Would-be flamers: I am not suggesting this is what usually happens, and that most rape victims are faking it. Not at all. But what I have described does happen and should also be considered. So yeah, alcohol plays a major role.

Finally, of course, if it indeed was rape, no drug is truly the reason. It's the sick mind of the rapist who found it easy to take advantage of someone who was vulnerable at that time.

^That's what I'm saying. What constitutes date-rape in these statistics? If a girl willfully gets drunk and gets horny, and is responsive to sexual advances or make her own, then I don't consider that rape. If she's hammered to the point she just doesn't resist or doesn't know what's going on, that's another story.

Yeah no shit. Paul Dillon of the Australian Drug Advisory Council reckons they looked into hundreds of incidents of 'drink-spiking' and found that the only drug that could produce the effects described by most victims was alcohol. I put it down to mass hysteria from media over exposion.

Manifespo said:
Controversial? Seems common sense to me. Most violent crimes are linked with alcohol, including rape, murder, and assault- not to mention DUI wrecks.

I get really frustrated with the Panglossian view of Alcohol in Americans minds. To today's collegiate youth the only way to socialize at night is through alcohol- one of the most dangerous, painful, and disorienting drugs- yet people don't even recognize alcohol as a drug. Even after they are puking in their roomates bed or pissing on their computer. Yet mention natural drugs like psilocybin mushrooms, cannabis, or coca leaves- and Americans will be gossiping about your drug problem. It seems drugs are only drugs if they are illicit.

At a date rape drug informational session which I attended for free pizza at ohio state three years ago, a woman spent an entire hour denigrating Rophynol, GHB.. all the media's spotlighted date rape drugs. Her movies showed all these teenagers at bars getting wasted. Yet the only warning from this lady was protect your drink from spiking by date rape drugs.

Like you could even protect your drink from a determined spiker. It just takes a tiny squirt of colorless liquid in a blink of an eye. I'm just saying if you want to be completely protected, the first step would be not to visit the bars.

Nevertheless, I think the important fact from this study is the real danger is not from spiked drinks, but the actual drinks themselves (containing up to 70% alcohol- the same amount as hand sanitizer). Alcohol is the NUMBER ONE date rape drug.

To compare, it seems airline risk is quite less than automobile risk, but more people are afraid of flying than driving. Similarly, theres much less risk of spiked drinks, but ladies are much more afraid of "drugs" than the actual toxin they are ingesting with each drink.

i agree totally. america encourages drinking. ya its all cool. i wouldnt care if they banned alcohol tommorrow.

also, if you were wasted on alcohol and i put a 5mg valium in a chicks drink, she would most likely pass out. any benzo at that. roofies got a bad rap.