• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol and Throat Cancer

Michael_25

Bluelighter
Hi all,

I'm curious. I've heard (and read) conflicting reports on alcohol and its consumption causing throat cancer. So these are my three questions:

1) Does it cause throat cancer?

2) If the above question is answered with "yes", is it limited only to heavy, daily drinking

3) Is it more dangerous than smoking in regarding to inducing throat cancer?

My GP stated that alcohol can cause throat cancer, but I'm not sure whether it's a veiled attempt by him to curb me from drinking, as he knows I'm worried about throat cancer as I used to be a smoker.

Thanks BLers!

Nasopharyngeal Cancer

How common is Nasopharyrngeal Cancer? I'm 33 years old and had been smoking for 15 years. However, I haven't smoked in 14 week now. I am fond of drink, though. Anyway, I've been trying to find out population rates with Nasopharyngeal Cancer. Does it afflict 1/800, 1/2000, 1/3000 people? I can't find solid statistics. I only read that cancer of the larynx was more common than that of the pharynx. Can anyone provide some insight into this?

Thanks all.

P.S. I posted this in this forum as I'm not sure where it was best suited. Thanks mods.

Thanks, Tubbs. What is worse though in regard to getting throat cancer: smoking two packs a day or polishing off a bottle of Jack Daniels each day? That's the only thing cancer.org doesn't state.

I would imagine the cigarettes, although I'm no doctor or scientist so I couldn't give you a definitive answer, I just know with smoking I felt alot of soreness and discomfort in my throat that I've never gotten from alcohol.

It also depends on the person.
One of my family members who didn't smoke or drink got cancer and another who smoked two packs a day and drank like a fish lived to over 90....

Yep, like anything else... I smoked meth daily for 2 years and have 32 pearly whites in good shape, whereas alot of my old friends look like they got dental work from a brick...

Hi Michael, I merged your threads together. I had an uncle who had throat cancer and he was a hardcore every waking minute beer drinker and smoker. I had seen on tv someplace years ago there was some correlation with smoking and beer drinking and cancer. Something to do with an ingredient that beer has. I know that's not too helpful to your concern but you're still pretty young. That's great you quit smoking! You can talk with your doctor about a screening if you're worried about your cancer risk.

Hi Michael, I merged your threads together. I had an uncle who had throat cancer and he was a hardcore every waking minute beer drinker and smoker. I had seen on tv someplace years ago there was some correlation with smoking and beer drinking and cancer. Something to do with an ingredient that beer has. I know that's not too helpful to your concern but you're still pretty young. That's great you quit smoking! You can talk with your doctor about a screening if you're worried about your cancer risk.
Thanks, Caledrone! Yes, when I drink, 90% of the time it's beer. I read the link provided to me kindly by the mod, Tubbs, and I read about Nasopharyngeal Cancer. I read the symptoms and about 2 were similar to what I'm feeling in my throat right now. I saw my GP and he said that I'm rather too young for throat cancer. Then again, these symptoms could be something rather benign.

Over the past few 3 months or so, for some reason I've become very vigilant about the following serious health problems:

Glaucoma
Retina Detatchment
Cirrhosis
Renal damage
Lung cancer
Skin cancer
Throat (larynx) cancer

... I've had tests for all and they turned out negative. My GP and psychologist think I'm a hypochondriac, but I just think it's good to stay vigilant when it comes to your health (maybe I'm being too vigilant, though?)

I saw my GP and he said that I'm rather too young for throat cancer. Then again, these symptoms could be something rather benign.

Over the past few 3 months or so, for some reason I've become very vigilant about the following serious health problems:

Glaucoma
Retina Detatchment
Cirrhosis
Renal damage
Lung cancer
Skin cancer
Throat (larynx) cancer

... I've had tests for all and they turned out negative. My GP and psychologist think I'm a hypochondriac, but I just think it's good to stay vigilant when it comes to your health (maybe I'm being too vigilant, though?)

You asked and got tested for all that. It was not like you had symptoms and your dr wanted to be on the safe side had you tested to rule out any of those nasty deceases?

Yeah that could be a sign of hypochondria or something alike. Do you feel it is normal to have yourself checked for that at 33. I don't now were you live but would you be over where I am out of the question getting tests done without indication. You must have made them a lot of cash.

You asked and got tested for all that. It was not like you had symptoms and your dr wanted to be on the safe side had you tested to rule out any of those nasty deceases?

Yeah that could be a sign of hypochondria or something alike. Do you feel it is normal to have yourself checked for that at 33. I don't now were you live but would you be over where I am out of the question getting tests done without indication. You must have made them a lot of cash.

Yes, my GP stated that he believed I had NONE of these conditions. Therefore he made no referral and I was forced to pay for all of these screens out of my own pocket. Basically, he thought I'm throwing my money down the drain. But I wanted to be completely sure that I don't have those ailments. I don't know. My psychologist also mentioned that these "feelings" I have may be psychosomatic.

EDIT: By the way, I didn't get asked to get tested for all those conditions at THE SAME TIME ... they were all spread out over a 3 month period.