• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol and sweating

bluesteyes

Bluelighter
I am normally not much of a drinker, but over the past several months I have been drinking a lot of beer at night. It started with a couple of IPA's, and it's progressed to a six pack a night (usually from 5pm-9pm). This past Saturday, I started early and went thru 9 bottles.

I have also been trying to taper down off of opioids the past several months. I think my rise in drinking (it's only beer, I hate hard stuff) has been due to a number of factors. I've had some minor opioid withdrawals to deal with, plus some emotional problems.

One thing I have noticed over the past month or so is that I have been sweating like a pig. I wake up in the middle of the night with my sheets completely wet, but I don't have any other opioid withdrawal like side effects. At work I will sometimes just start sweating for some odd reason, even if it's not hot.

I have also seen a rise in my blood pressure and pulse of late. I normally never suffer from hypertension.

Can a sudden increase in one's booze intake cause excessive perspiration and blood pressure issues??

Not sure about the effect of the booze, but I'd always get the cold sweats before anything else with opioid WD, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it is. That said, gabaergic WD seems to cause that too, especially for me, so cut back on the booze at least. I drank a lot at points during opioid WD and PAWS and I can tell you from my experience that excessive drinking did nothing but make things worse. A few drinks would maybe sometimes help, but regular drinking made the crushing WD depression so much worse, among other things.

A rise in heart rate/blood pressure is pretty typical as a rebound or WD symptom from any CNS depressant, especially when it's from an anxiolytic.

yeah as m-d said, the first symptom i get when i'm going into opiate wd's is the cold sweats, but it could also be down to things like stress and/or depression linked to some degree of alcoholism. more than likely its some sort of unsavory mix of them all.

^exactly. Withdrawing from multiple downers is shit, I'm sort of there right now but at least opiates aren't involved (this time around), just various benzos and phenibut and such.

For me, it's far worse with opiates (I always pretty much CT'd though) but I'm getting the same thing from tapering from benzos, just to a lesser extent. Plus, abusing alcohol always makes me crazy depressed as well and the rebound anxiety can be really bad.

Hang in there OP.

Alcohol acts as a vasodilator, this can lead to nightsweats.
Or it could be the first sign of withdrawal

Thanks for your input. I am going to stop drinking beer tonight and see if the sweating goes away. I need to lose weight anyway! Beer can pack on the pounds. I am also going to take my last OxyContin dose later in the evening as well. I am a OxyContin user who has to take it 3x per day. It fades fast after 8 hours. What's crazy is how fast I go into withdrawals. I thought you weren't supposed to go into withdrawals until 24 hrs after your last dose, but that's not the case with me. I should mention that my bed sweating isn't accompanied by shivering and hot flashes, yawning, and other typical withdrawal symptoms that I tend to get early on. I just perspire like mad.

I'm not a drinker, at least not like in my early twenties but when on Morphine a single IPA or two light beers and I'd start sweating like mad. Even an hour after a heavy dose. I thought I was a special case but I had a friend who switched to MS and had the same deal only he wouldn't accept it for like a week. At least not till he had a stack of dirty laundry 3 ft high. Not such a problem with Oxy though. Just the annoying back of the neck pillow sweating during the wee hours of the morning, but with a half life of 152 minutes (immediate release) it's not such a mystery.

I just wanted to point out that your drinking progressed pretty quickly. I would start a casual taper back down to a beer or two at night, and ditch the IPA's. They may be tasty, but a lot of people don't realize they are drinking high-gravity beer for the subconscious reason of getting drunk.