• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Alchohol Issue Help...

Reanimator13

Bluelighter
My friend got hit with a DUI over the weekend. He blew a .18. Here where we live thats 30 days in jail. He has been daily hard drinking for as long as I have known him. He is in his 70's.

I am going to try and push rehab prior to jail... But doubt very much he will go. How do jails handle a situation like this? Will he get help in jail or just get the cold turkey treatment?

Don't want a dead friend...

Drugs im real familiar with... Alcohol not so much.

Any advise would be appreciated.

R13

Your plan sounds just about right, get him into treatment before he has to go to court or w/e. This also makes it look better for his case. They usually give you some detox meds at the county jail here, but in some jails they don't. They will wait until you seize out then they will take you to medical. Hopefully some lenience is given to your elderly friend.

^^ Exactly. They waited until I was seizing (from a large, long opiate dependency)then carried me in a sheet to medical where I stayed for 5 or 6 days.

Medical is NOT where one wants to end up. Great suggestion about detox first. If I had known I was getting locked up. Wise advice. I hope your things turn out well for your friend. <3

Yeah get him into detox pronto! In my jail i had a friend die becaused they refused to give her detox meds for a 20 a day xanax habit... Very sad

The courts will also look very favorably on your friend if they get into a treatment program (detox/inpatient) prior to the court date/jail. It will help a bit with sentencing (although this isn't legal advice, I do know most places are really strict about punishments for convicted DUIs, so treatment will only help so much), especially if there is a documented problem.

Better detox before jail, that's for sure though. The one consistent environment I hear detox horror stories is behind bars.

No one's posted here for a while, but I just did 24 hours in jail for a DUI I received at the beginning of last month. I plead out in exchange for 48 hours minus time served minus time spent in court. My goose was pretty much cooked anyway since I had benzos in my system, an open container of vodka in the front seat and my BAC was almost certainly over .2. Had I not plead out, I would have almost certainly gone to jail for much longer and possibly been charged with felony DUI instead of a misdemeanor. I asked if going to treatment would help my case, but the attorney said not for a first DUI. I am glad I detoxed well ahead of time to going to jail, though. Jails will do nothing, and I mean nothing, for detox. Addicts and alcoholics routinely die in American jails. I can honestly say I don't want to drink again (at least right now), but if I did, given that I can order home delivery of alcohol, there is no excuse for me to be driving drunk. The penalties for a second DUI is a mandatory minimum of 45 days in jail, 28 of which can be served in a treatment center, a lot worse than just two days. Even if someone took the treatment option that still leaves over two weeks in jail and 24 hours was bad enough. No thank you.

Last edited:
Hey aihfl, really glad you took care of the DUI because they will come back and lock you up, I've had it happen to me before in the past.

So now what are your plans, all that said and done? I'd try to look into some type of driving/dui classes maybe so you wont have a dui on your record/driving record.
Just be glad that you didn't hurt anyone out there, maybe not drinking for a while is a good thing,because if you are anyway like me once I start drinking I cannot stop,unless by an outside force,because when I drank I wanted to go do shit, even if i was at home just watching tv. I had to, even on the streets, i had to go to different homeless camps to party it up,and the outcomes were never good.
Just use this experience as a stepping stone in moving forward with your life. =)

Hey D's. Hope you are staying dry. The news footage of the flooding in the Ohio Valley looks nasty. Anyway, I am in a gray area because I got my DUI in Tennessee (my home state) but I am a Florida resident. Tennessee is done with me now that I've paid my fine and done the mandatory minimum. And Tennessee also happens to be one of five states that doesn't belong to an interstate compact that report out of state traffic violations to each other. The attorney said it's a 50/50 chance Florida finds out. If they do, I will have to go to outpatient group therapy and DUI school. I actually don't remember being arrested but the police report was pretty scary. I was on the interstate and when I saw the lights behind me apparently I ran off the road into the median, overcorrected and almost clipped the back of a semi trailer before I pulled off onto the shoulder. I have no pretensions about being an alcoholic. Like you, I can't stop once I start. Even if I ever wanted to drink again, I know I shouldn't. What happens from here? Well, as of today, I have a new sponsor (the old one abandoned me) and I am going to see a psychologist Tuesday that my psychiatrist referred me to after I told him about an untreated concussion from a fall down a staircase while drunk. They're going to do neuro-psych testing on Tuesday and I'll know what comes next after that initial evaluation. I've been able do over a year. I can do it again.

in jail they will give him librium, after that he'll probably get a dui program