• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Meth After a short binge, I am suddenly completely unable to get high. I just want to understand WHY!

danb1993

Greenlighter
I used to be a heavy meth user. Daily use for nearly a year. Several relapses, some pf which lasted months. I'd been clean for nearly 2 years, up until a few weeks ago. I started off using every few days but unsurprisingly ended up using daily again. A week ago I had my first mental break. Derealization that lasted several hours. Ever since then, I have not been able to get high. Seriously. I have tried different methods, three different suppliers, gotten plenty of sleep and food. I have never in my time as an active user developed this intense and sudden of a “tolerance”. I should feel SOME effect. I’m on an SSRI, a benzo, and insomnia meds. But based on my research, I should still feel at least something. Does anyone know why this is happening? I am going to take a break for a few days. But I’m just confused…

To clarify: when you say 'high' do you mean euphoria? Or do you mean you don't feel any stimulant effect at all?

Also, are the SSRI, benzo and insomnia meds new additions, or were you taking them before when you were able to get high? They're all capable of modifying the effects you experience from meth.

Does the insomnia med happen to be an antipsychotic like mirtazapine or quetiapine?

Either way, if you recently experienced a mental break/psychosis/derealization you should stop doing meth for the time being.

To clarify: when you say 'high' do you mean euphoria? Or do you mean you don't feel any stimulant effect at all?

Also, are the SSRI, benzo and insomnia meds new additions, or were you taking them before when you were able to get high? They're all capable of modifying the effects you experience from meth.
A couple years ago I was only on the mirtazapine. Never had any issues getting high when I’d use daily for weeks. No euphoria. I can sleep and eat (something that has always been tough for me). The only thing I feel is the anxiety lol. But like I said I’ve been using for the past few weeks and it became a daily thing eventually still, no issues. I just woke up the day after my episode unable to get high yet I was tweakin the entire weekend…

Does the insomnia med happen to be an antipsychotic like mirtazapine or quetiapine?

Either way, if you recently experienced a mental break/psychosis/derealization you should stop doing meth for the time being.
Hm, I am on mirtazapine but I’ve never had issues getting high on it. I had to look it up but apparently it’s not an antipsychotic anyway. Just a medication that is known to pair well with antipsychotics…

I am going to take a break for sure. I know the drugs and the lack of sleep triggered it but I suffer from panic attacks and I believe that was my bodies way of protecting me? Based on my research. I had just lost my job before I went on the binge and I hurt the guy I’ve been seeing so I was stressed about all of it.

Yeah, when I'm experiencing extreme stress/anxiety I have weird bouts of dissociation and derealization. This also occurs when I've been doing too many drugs... because my natural response to stress is to get high. They go hand in hand.

We must be careful when this starts happening, because if we continue to push it and don't listen to our bodies it leads to psychosis.

In the past when I've had episodes of psychosis the derealization became more and more frequent until I finally snapped.

After learning my lesson the hard way, when it happens now I know to chill out on the drugs and relieve the stress/anxiety in healthier ways.

Yeah, when I'm experiencing extreme stress/anxiety I have weird bouts of dissociation and derealization. This also occurs when I've been doing too many drugs... because my natural response to stress is to get high. They go hand in hand.

We must be careful when this starts happening, because if we continue to push it and don't listen to our bodies it leads to psychosis.

In the past when I've had episodes of psychosis the derealization became more and more frequent until I finally snapped.

After learning my lesson the hard way, when it happens now I know to chill out on the drugs and relieve the stress/anxiety in healthier ways.
As someone who also suffers from anxiety I feel for you.

I learned a very nasty lesson that weed gummies and anxiety don't mix well (for me) a few months ago. I've had extreme anxiety episodes now and then, as well as depression that felt like it could power the space station, but the experience with the gummies was the absolute worst psychological experience I've ever had (it included derealization and dissociation). Wish I had googled the relationship between the two because I found plenty of people who had had the same thing.

(I think I had a similar reaction when I was given Haldol a few years ago, but the gummy episode was 100 times worse.)

Just my experience with drugs in general here although I do have extensive use with amphetamine. If you take something very seldom, one dose a day, no more than a couple days in a row, you can maintain a clean high and low tolerance. But as soon as you break that and try to double dose, go weeks straight using, excessive shit, etc. it will permanently fuck with your ability to get the same high even with tolerance breaks.

Kindling is a term that's used to describe shorter use periods causing massive tolerance growth. The brain gets used to these things and it remembers for a long time afterward. Eventually you might be able to get high again, but it'll require a tolerance break and when you do get back to the high it may only last one or two times before you need another break.

Tolerance breaks are best practice when you run into this kind of thing. You are not going to break through to that elusive high by doing massive quantities of meth, it'll just fuck with your tolerance and probably your sanity.