• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Advise on detoxing from large amounts

Kgiles

Greenlighter
I joined BL last year when I first knew there was a problem or admitted there was a problem and here I am a year later just in deeper water. On my one and only past post somebody replied and suggested that I post in this forum in order to get the best response.
I started like probably many others taking Norco's for leg and back pain legally prescribed with no intention of taking them to get high! I was taking them as prescribed for the first 2 to 3 years four pills a day 10/325.
My overmedicating began when my daughter passed away last July and I started taking a couple more here and a couple more there just to help deaden the mental pain I am now built up to approximately 30-40 Norcos a day ( depending on availability) and I have ventured into getting Roxicodone's 15 or 30's when I cannot obtain any Norcos after my prescription is ran out. I take 250 mg of the roxis a day
I know that this run is fixing to come to an end abruptly so I need advice on how maybe I can do it myself before things blowup and I have to do it cold turkey. Since this last Friday I've taken180 10/325
I am just not sure where to begin. My family knows I take them but nowhere near to the extreme that I take them I spend about $2-300.00 a day and have for the last year. I have tried tapering but the pain gets too extreme and I always give in, I can't take Xanax or Valium.
I'm scared to death of withdraws I'm not physically in very good shape I have COPD plus high blood pressure I've only been through minor withdraws and I honestly thought they were going to kill me .
I could go on and on regarding the deceitful actions I've taken to hide my addiction from my husband. He has worked out town Monday through Friday but he is soon to come home and I won't be able to hide it much longer.
I've been down the road of addiction before I am 15 years clean from a 20 year iv meth addiction but there was no physical withdrawal.
I'm not necessarily looking for a shortcut I'm just looking for a way to do this in which I can still function each day. I have a high stress job with a lot of responsibility I can't just go to bed till it passes .
I need all of your experience and suggestions please!!!!

Have you looked into suboxone treatment? There are various ways to use suboxone--some people use it to ease detox from full-agonist opioids such as you're using. Other people use them on a longer term basis, using the subs to replace their drug(s) of choice while they plan and prepare for long term recovery. This allows them to reduce many of the risks associated with opioid misuse while again laying the foundation for deep recovery.

Would suboxone be something you would be open to? Based on what you've described of your situation that sounds like a logical path forward. But sometimes there are extenuating circumstances that call for another approach.

This is just my first reaction to your story. I'm happy to discuss options in more detail. But meanwhile, does this seem feasible?

I am open to just about anything right now but I have always heard the suboxone was not good if you were taking to high of doses that they were for moderate users. Something about a glass ceiling? We have a local clinic here and I think my pain management doctor prescribes them but unless I knew for sure it could work i would not want to mention it to him in fear of losing what he gives me now. I have also heard horror stories on the withdrawal from them that it is worse than the Norco/Roxy withdrawal? Definitely worth looking into or hearing more about it.

Would it be possible for you to take a few days and check into a medical detox hospital where you live? Usually you will get assigned a case worker/social worker and will help you get into recovery places around town.

In my case a 30 day rehab wasnt enough, I needed more structure because the life I was living there was zero structure.
You will read horror stories about everything in life, and you might have some horror stories of your own to share one day.
The important thing is i am sure you knew this before is that you recognize that you have a problem, next figure out a plan to do about it. There are several ways you can go about in getting the help.
Having high blood pressure is something serious, and needs to be managed with medication, eating healthy and exercise. Something that you may want to take a look at, and most in-patient hospitals will help you with that, be honest with those people like you are doing with us here and things will work out.
:)

I am open to just about anything right now but I have always heard the suboxone was not good if you were taking to high of doses that they were for moderate users. Something about a glass ceiling? We have a local clinic here and I think my pain management doctor prescribes them but unless I knew for sure it could work i would not want to mention it to him in fear of losing what he gives me now. I have also heard horror stories on the withdrawal from them that it is worse than the Norco/Roxy withdrawal? Definitely worth looking into or hearing more about it.

You'd definitely benefit from longer term, outpatient based support if you have struggled with re-entry as most have. Long term inpatient is certainly an option too, but that can be problematic depending what your personal goals are.

With buprenorphine, using it to help stabilize during longer term outpatient treatment can be very helpful. Same goes for methadone, which involves far more structure. Coming off either of these medications, when managed properly with a slow taper and comfort medication, is actually easier than a normal short acting full agonist kick in my experience. Of course, when not managed properly the kick can drag out for some time.

The big upside to buprenorphine is a) it is a partial antagonist so it is rather difficult to get high from other opioids (possibly with the exception of fent and carfent) and b) it is something you can get from basically any pharmacy. Methadone's advantage is a) added structure of the clinic environment and regulations and b) superior relief in terms of cravings, it being a full agonist.

I'd definitely see about finding yourself a good doctor. If you live in a rural area this can be difficult. Are there any big universities wit medical schools or hospitals around where you live? They are a great resource when it comes to finding qualified healthcare providers in terms of ORT programs and IOP.

Basically, it doesn't matter what your situation is. There are concrete things you can personally do to help get yourself in a better place. And you can also (and really should) seek out exploring in terms of community/medical oriented support.

What resources are you aware of, generally speaking, when it comes to recovery support and substance use disorder treatment? "Abstience only" based inpatient treatment, which is just one of many, many options out there, is far from your only option.

A doctor is going to be instrumental in helping you make it through, the very least, the acute withdrawal phase. Getting yourself a supply of buprenorphine, gabapentin, clonidine and diazepam is something beyond worth the effort. And beyond the actual kick, it is important to have a plan in place in terms of mid-long term support so you don't just slide back into things.

Check out the directory in SL to learn more about how opioid use disorder treatments and for stories of how others have, and perhaps have struggled to, managed their detox and eary recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
K- Im very sorry for your loss. I can understand-as anyone w any intelligence could-why your use increased. Many of us numb ourselves for alot less. Any Dr, that is worth his or her salt will have compassion and give you assistance.

I want to mention Herbivore, whom is one of our moderators. Im not sure if you know of her yet-but she has been through losing a child. She is not only kind and compassionate, she's also very wise. I'm just putting that out there in case you didn't know and want to reach out to her. I know she'd gladly speak w you.

I myself am struggling w chipping - with IV heroin- I want to stop before I end up using everyday. Again. I have no illusions. I know that's where things will inevitably end up.

Toothepastedog mentioned going on subs to me a few months ago. I had/have a long history w opiate dependency and abuse. Im going to find a sub Dr. Im really having a difficult time.

Though I use about 3days straight twice a month-on average I cant seem to stop. Its financially screwing my life up. Which of course causes many problems.

TPD made me believe, by example, that subs don't have to become a life or years long thing. They can be a means to an end. I need some time to catch my breath and establish a strong recovery support structure.

Welcome to BL and Sober Living K <3