• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Advice on coming off of benzos and NA meetings

simone3

Greenlighter
First NA meeting, need advice

Hi everyone,
I've been wanting/ needing to go to a meeting for quite some time now, but I'm scared and extremely anxious. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on that? How was your experience with them?
Thank you so much

Do you have a particular meeting picked out? Regardless, I'll mention that you should prepare yourself to try a couple different meetings in your town...different groups can have very different vibes.

Other than that...

Near the start of the meeting, the chairperson will ask if there are any people at their first NA meeting. I strongly recommend that you do this. Just stand up and say "Hi, my name is simone3" or "Hi, my name is simone3 and I'm an addict"... whichever you prefer. Also useful here is to say, I'd love to talk with folks after the meeting (assuming you'd actually like that).

Also near the start of the meeting, the chairperson will ask if anyone wants a meeting list with phone numbers. I recommend getting one of these. And bring your list to your first few meetings...get as many numbers as you can, and try to use them between meetings, even if it seems awkward.

The meeting will start with people taking turns reading a few standard bits of preamble. If there are lots of people there, there's no need to grab one of the cards and read from it. But if the meeting is small and you're feeling good, I'd grab one of the shorter cards...maybe the yellow or blue one...probably not either of the white ones, as these are pretty long, and if you're like me, you won't feel like reading out loud for a long time when you're new to a group.

There's never any compulsion to share. Sometimes newcomers will share at their first meeting. Other folks choose just to listen. Either way is totally cool. Don't pressure yourself if you're nervous.

Lastly, I do recommend sticking around a few minutes afterwards to see if you can chat with any of the attendees. Often these 'meetings after the meeting' include some pretty nice conversation, and it's largely how I've gotten to know which people I like, and which people to stay away from.

In terms of staying away from certain people, keep in mind that at any NA meeting, there are going to be people who are serious about their recovery. But there will probably be people who aren't--they may be court-ordered, or they may just be shady. So you'll want to use common sense as you're getting to know folks. There's no need to give your number to anyone if you don't feel like it, etc.

You're going to this meeting for YOU. So the main advice I can give is just to go and get as much from it as you can. There's really no risk of embarrassment or doing the wrong thing...it's all been done a million times before!

Let us know how it goes... and good luck!
<3
Sim

Thank you so much, I'm going to check out one that I've been looking at for a while tonight.

Hi everyone,
For a few year's now ive been bouncing from drug to drug and none of them ever became a huge problem, with benzos as an exception.
I want to stop taking them but i know the damage it can do if you stop it cold turkey,i just need some advice.

ALSO, if anyone could give me advice on NA meetings and maybe share your experience with them
I've yet to attend one, but i really really want to go im just very anxious and i dont think that im ready to admit that i am an addict, i dont know if i am? Maybe its just denial, im not sure.
Any advice would be so so helpful, thank you.

For a few year's now ive been bouncing from drug to drug and none of them ever became a huge problem, with benzos as an exception.
I want to stop taking them but i know the damage it can do if you stop it cold turkey,i just need some advice.
Benzo (and alcohol) WD don't just suck, they can be deadly. See a doctor. Tapering sssllloooowwwlllyy is the name of the game (under a doctor's supervision).

simone3 said:
ALSO, if anyone could give me advice on NA meetings and maybe share your experience with them
I've yet to attend one, but i really really want to go im just very anxious and i dont think that im ready to admit that i am an addict, i dont know if i am? Maybe its just denial, im not sure.
Any advice would be so so helpful, thank you.
I posted a link on your other thread to another thread here in SL, "Do's and Don'ts of 12 Step Meetings"

Last edited:
I want to see a doctor for it, but i dont know if its necessary. Im not using as much as i used to so i dont know if coming off of them now would be as bad

I want to see a doctor for it, but i dont know if its necessary. Im not using as much as i used to so i dont know if coming off of them now would be as bad

Yes you should see a doctor, and better yet check into a rehab/detox center run by medical professionals as people have died from attempting to come off of benzos themselves.

Im debating on it, but i just started using again so i dont think i need help with the withdrawal. I just want to stop before it gets bad ahain

Check out Kava Kava. Not hard to acquire at all AND it's legal. It gives a nice anti-anxiety sort of stoned feeling. SWIM tried it while on some subutex and actually wished he wasn't on the sub so he could've just enjoyed the kava lol. Another thing, it's debatably not addictive at all and is generally pretty safe. Just don't do it too frequently because I think it's rough on your stomach. It's pretty much like how Kratom works so well for people getting off of opiates and opioids... Kava is like that for benzo's and really GABAergic drugs imo.

SWIM tried it while on some subutex and actually wished he wasn't on the sub so he could've just enjoyed the kava lol.
Don't SWIM here. Reference the following thread:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/813576-We-do-not-use-SWIM-and-other-third-person-terms-here?p=13919839

simone3 said:
i just started using again so i dont think i need help with the withdrawal
The prudent thing to do is to consult a doctor. Sorry to be blunt, but if you don't think you need it, why are you soliciting advice? I think anyonehere who's been through the hell of benzo withdrawal (including myself) is going to tell you that you should consult a doctor. At least I hope they would.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the DO's and DONT's of Twelve Step Meetings (as I now see aihfl already posted in the thread on the same topic of your I just merged with this one): http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/807203-DOs-amp-DON-Ts-of-Twelve-Step-Meetings

Working with a doctor on this is key. If you are looking to taper on an outpatient basis, which is generally the ideal way to do things (for most, but not all people by any means), get your doctor to switch you to a longer acting benzodiazepine. The best is diazepam, but in a pinch clonazepam will work a lot better than alprazolam.

Only thing that hasn't been said yet is to familiarize yourself with the Ashton Manual:

Check out the Ashton Manual and go over it with your prescribing doctor. It presents the best strategies for tapering off benzos I've ever heard of: http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha01.htm#3

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone. I went to my first NA meeting last night and it was amazing. For once I didnt feel ashamed about my addiction. I met people who were over a year clean and that gives me so much hope. Thank you everyone on here and i will definitely continue to attend regularly meetings.

I'm glad you had positive first impressions. Just try and remember to keep an open mind when it comes to expectations in early recovery.

Other than that, enjoy! May the force be with you ;)

Thank you everyone. I went to my first NA meeting last night and it was amazing. For once I didnt feel ashamed about my addiction. I met people who were over a year clean and that gives me so much hope. Thank you everyone on here and i will definitely continue to attend regularly meetings.

So glad to hear it went well! As TPD pointed out (implicitly), it's likely that not all meetings will be that good, so it's good to be prepared for that eventuality. But it's awesome to know that you've found something promising. If you ever want to talk about NA-related stuff, please feel free to PM me.

Check out Kava Kava. Not hard to acquire at all AND it's legal. It gives a nice anti-anxiety sort of stoned feeling. SWIM tried it while on some subutex and actually wished he wasn't on the sub so he could've just enjoyed the kava lol. Another thing, it's debatably not addictive at all and is generally pretty safe. Just don't do it too frequently because I think it's rough on your stomach. It's pretty much like how Kratom works so well for people getting off of opiates and opioids... Kava is like that for benzo's and really GABAergic drugs imo.

Kava is not something that will help someone dependent on benzos come off safely.

To safely detox from a benzo habit there generally needs to be a very conservative taper using, ideally, a longer acting benzodiazepine type medication, ideally diazepam. Again, let me repeat, kava alone is not something that will help someone dependent on benzos come off their benzo habit. Kava will likely do very little to even help alleviate any of the serious symptoms of gabaergic withdrawal. It may or may not be helpful later on once one has successfully detoxed (I'm thinking it may be more helpful than not), but in terms of actually getting off benzos it is of limited to no practical use.

Comparing the utility of kava and kratom for people coming off respective benzo and opioid dependency is rather disingenuous. Kratom is generally much more active than kava is for the vast majority.