Addressing risk of self-inflicted PTSD from psychedelic experiences?

psychoblast

Bluelighter
As an educated man with frankly too much psychedelic experience, including most of the decent RC's that have hit the scene in the last decade, I am a strong supporter of MAPS. That said, perhaps the biggest threat I see from a more widespread usage of psychedelics is the risk of self-inflicted PTSD. This raises an issue that has philosophical, psychological and medical ramifications.

I have danced with LSD many times without having that ultimate "bad trip" that others have told me about, the one that caused them to swear off of psychedelics forever. Then one day, down a K-hole, I found my own vision of hell that I would not wish on my worst enemy. It snuck upon me in the worst way -- as insight. Insight into the objective meaninglessness of relationships which I hold priceless. It was very much akin to being in the lowest dregs of dreamstate visualized in that movie "inception," alone and hopeless in an infinite, dark and lonely place that is, in fact, your own life with all meaning leeched out of it. And there you are, in your body, in your life, forced to carrry on living with this sense of ultimate pointlessness, hopelessness, etc.

Well, it's hard to evoke exactly what that place was, but it was very intense, very bad, about as "horrific" has anything could be. Fortunately, ketamine does not last that long, and I soon emerged from that place, though it felt like I was there for far too long. The experience was not bad enough to have me write off drugs, or even ketamine. And I wound up returning to that place, that despair, more than once. I fnally kicked ketamine with the help of mxe (good because my kidneys were starting to hurt), but the mxe has taken me to that same place, through a back door, on one very dark occasion.

If I go on this way, this will surely be moved to the Dark Side. (Maybe it will anyway.) But let me get to the point, and wrap up. In my professional life, I have come into contact with people diagnosed with PTSD, post-traumatic stress disorder. And i have become learned on the criteria for this disorder. An event, or series of events, outside normal human experience, that creates a sense of threat to your body or your sense of self. Something like that. A woman suffering a sexual assault can have PTSD. A soldier after a battle can have PTSD. Being sexually vioated, and being in a life-or-death fight are deemed "outside normal human experience."

I could muster a chuckle here. The psychedelics I've tried, those mostly beneficent, are essentially chosen for their ability to take me outside normal human experience. Now all you have to do is add a serious threat, which is pretty much inevitable if you do psychedelics enough, and you've got the exact recipe for PTSD. So, eventually, it seems like most psychonauts will have bad trips that lead to some form of PTSD.

Then you feel like you're some vet come back from 'Nam, but you actually have no such excuse, because unlike the assault victim or the soldier, you basically did this to yourself without any help. Does that shorten the recovery curve, that it did not "really" happen? Or does that make it even worse?

Anyway, as long as we have MAPS people researching the pros of psychedelics, I think some thought should be given to the adverse, psychological ramifications. Also, I think some sociologists ought to pay attention to the fact that there is a huge underbelly of society that has recklessly used psychedelics as a 'coming of age' rite, which generally ends when you have that bad trip that meets all the criteria for a PTSD-inducing event, and then you just suck it up, maybe write off drugs, and go on with your life. I'm starting to wonder if everyone isn't suffering from some level of PTSD by a certain age.

I think going through difficult experiences, even on psychedelics, can help us deal with every day ups and downs a lot better.

I believe that most cases of PTSD aren't necessarily related to exogenous psychedelic usage... so I am not thinking it will be as serious as some may think it will be.

PSYCHEDELIC INDUCED PTSD experience

I come to this forum because of an Iraq vetern that spoke in my Peace & War course today. He has suffered from PTSD due to his duty in Ramadi, Iraq. As I listened to him speak about his experience with in Iraq, with PTSD, and his recovery process of sharing with other PTSD sufferers, I had an insight; Perhaps I too had suffered from PTSD induced by a trip on DMT two years ago.
In the beginning of 2010, my sophomore year at college, my boyfriend at the time and I had already been experimenting with psychedelics for months, and frequently. Eventually, we discovered DMT. I hadn't been so sure about it, knowing of its power. I decided to do it anyway. I set up a nice place to lay in his apartment, and turned on the first song I recognized on his roommates Ipod, which he had playing while he did the dishes ("Electric Feel" by MGMT). We packed the bottom of a small bubbler pipe with marijuana and sprinkled a little of the white DMT on top, not taking the care to measure the dosage. Then, I blasted off.
I cannot recall the beginning of the trip, I only know that I closed my eyes and laid down immediately. I came back into consciousness, what I expect was about halfway through the song because I could suddenly hear the middle portion of the lyrics blasting loudly and clearly. In my vision was an abyss of darkness, where misc. and rapidly random moving colors began to collect into shapes. The shapes were human and all working like slaves on a train track, hammering away. The lyrics rang out... "you can feel it in your mind, you can do it all the time... this is what the world is for, making electricity..." Terrified, I was able to tear my eyes open, only to be shot back into the world of physical reality all too quickly. The music was suffocating me, and after regaining my ability to speak, I asked in a monotone voice to have the music turned off. The room was foreign, scary, and full of trippy visuals. I began reassuring myself in that robotic monotone voice that, "Yes, it's okay."
Eventually all the effects of the drug wore off but my uneasiness remained. I was able to dust it off like it was "wasn't real" (like you said) but not for very long. About a month afterward my (ex)boyfriend and I watched a youtube video on the 2012 conspiracy which featured some very psychedelic visuals. After watching it my legs became incredibly cramped (to this day I can't smoke marijuana without having very cramped legs) which then became painful. I tried to sleep but the fear kept me awake. For months I didn't sleep well.
Most notably, my relationship with my then boyfriend deteriorated for me and then ended. I also could no longer go to his apartment because of the memories and feelings it triggered. I felt incredibly depressed for those months, imagined I was going crazy, and could not picture myself ever feeling better or moving on into the future. I also felt as though I were detached from my surroundings, even my own body. Finally, I found sanctuary in the books written by Thich Nhat Hanh, a vietnamese buddhist monk and poet who teaches mindfulness meditation. Since then I have developed my life around this spiritual practice and it has aided a great deal. I do, however, have the emotions and memories of that time crop back up. I assume something triggers it, but since I've never made the connection to PTSD before I haven't kept track of what they are. Dark seems to be one.
I decided to share this story in this forum, even though I'm not sure it'll get a response, because I'm convinced I might be able to diminish the anxiety I feel when triggered by sharing with people who have had similar experiences.

It would be great to hear other stories!
Thank you for reading.

Interesting to say the least... My experience with PTSD is limited to dealing with Vietnam veterans and a few rape victims...

I really couldn't say if it caused PTSD, but I definitely have had a traumatic trip... in 07 on salvia, while coming down off a night of tweakin. Thought I'd come down fully, but apparently not. I'd had some disturbing trips, but never one that I came out of screaming. The specifics... Smoked some 10x, and within seconds I was thrown into the void of space. What I remember seeing was this planet, then the solar system, and then the galaxy spiral away leaving my immobile consciousness in the same spot watching helplessly. I can't begin to describe the fear I felt...

Fortunately, ketamine does not last that long, and I soon emerged from that place, though it felt like I was there for far too long. The experience was not bad enough to have me write off drugs, or even ketamine. And I wound up returning to that place, that despair, more than once. I fnally kicked ketamine with the help of mxe (good because my kidneys were starting to hurt), but the mxe has taken me to that same place, through a back door, on one very dark occasion.

MXE is very sinister like that

If I go on this way, this will surely be moved to the Dark Side. (Maybe it will anyway.)

Sounds like you know what's up. Then stop. Enjoy the good times you have, before it's too late.

Does that shorten the recovery curve, that it did not "really" happen? Or does that make it even worse?

Of course it happened. We're talking about mind states here. Ultimately it's as good or as bad as you let it be.

Anyway, as long as we have MAPS people researching the pros of psychedelics, I think some thought should be given to the adverse, psychological ramifications.
Also, I think some sociologists ought to pay attention to the fact that there is a huge underbelly of society that has recklessly used psychedelics as a 'coming of age' rite, which generally ends when you have that bad trip that meets all the criteria for a PTSD-inducing event, and then you just suck it up, maybe write off drugs, and go on with your life. I'm starting to wonder if everyone isn't suffering from some level of PTSD by a certain age.

Most people do not take psychedelics for a reason. I agree though, that they should stop being demonized so much, because they are not inherently bad or evil, they are just catalysts, and the most powerful ones at that period.. Catalysts of perception and existance. Making it a rite of passage is up to you. Making it part of society would be forcing everyone to use psychedelics or have to use them to succeed the most, or something to that degree. Humans have used psychedelics since the dawn of time. Yes, by and large in industrialized and techonologically proficient societies, we seem to cover up their existance, but then think about places such as Japan, where mushrooms and assorted RCs, were 100% legally sold at headshops for many years. Many RCs probably still are. I'd say, well, then the abversion to psychedelic use is a westernized society-type of deal; but then look at Amsterdamn, and various parts of most countries globally in general... I could go off on many tangents on this.

Plain and simple: the risk it there. The more you dwell on it, but more likely it is to happen. Once it happens, the more you dwell on it, the worse it gets. Can it be reversed? Ask the US Department of Defense and top researchers world-wide. Start talking to combat vets first. I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say, no, so far it can't; but then there's currrent studies being done by the US federal government, using MDMA to treat PTSD in combat vets, and not for years or anything like that, but in as few sessions as possible. It's certainly a promising start.

I suffered PTSD from my use of MDPV. I had experiences outside the range of normal human experience that threatened my sense of self.

When I discovered (4 months later) that what I was experiencing was flashbacks and I had PTSD I felt so relieved! I finally could follow some tried and true methods for working through my issues.

I looked through the internets also ISO people who had drug-induced PTSD.