• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Addiction to thoughts?

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
Well, this probably sounds a little strange to you all, but I think I have a serious problem.

No, I'm barely addicted to anything physical. I don't smoke, drink coffee, and the only mind-altering substances I do are psychedelics... occasionally.

But I find myself trapped in a vicious cycle, a cycle I find similar to a substance addiction in that thoughts, like a hit of something like cocaine, numbs emotional pain, and so is pleasurable in the moment, but ultimately leaves me feeling sick and detached. Thoughts are a crutch. I can get happy from thoughts. But usually they end up being very destructive.

Lately I've been reeeeally in my head and I feel like I can't get out. It is breaking apart my relationships and my ability to care for people, focus on work, and socialize.

I've even started looking at Ibogaine...

I can really understand where you are coming from. My thoughts seem to travel at the speed of light and often leave me anxious and overwhelmed. Or if I happen to get into a positive thought stream it can be euphoric and energizing.

Meditation has a lot to offer when it comes to becoming less attached to our thoughts and allowing them to come and go without necessarily getting sucked in to them. "The Power Of Now" by Eckhart Tolle also specifically talks about how we are pretty much being controlled by our thoughts.

What thoughts are we talking about?

EDIT: Just wanted to give you a bit more info; I don't know why you would even consider ibogaine unless your thoughts involve torture/murder or molesting children or something along those lines. If your thoughts to involve such things, I would suggest seeing a professional instead of trying to self medicate them away.

If your thoughts are a little less damaging to society and more damaging to your personally I can somewhat see why you would want to try Ibogaine. Keep in mind this is serious stuff... If you don't have $5000 to blow to go to an Ibogaine house, you can find Iboga root online a small percentage of that cost. The Iboga root has a full spectrum of alkaloids rather then just the Ibogaine HCl, so the experiance is a bit more "dirty" then pure Ibogaine but it has the same lasting benefits and is much more affordable and you can do it in the comfort of your own home. African shamans have been using it for hundreds if not thousands of years so the safety profile is up there as well.

Again I would like to stress that even though ibogaine is used to "cure" addictions it is generally used for more "traditional" addictions. I can see how it may benefit changing some thought patterns but you should probably first look into a more traditional route (ie. talking to a professional)

I hope you are able to find some peace.

Last edited:
Yeah, I would like to hear more about these thoughts that have you stuck in a vicious cycle!

Oh, and why exactly would you take Ibogaine? And what location is 'urf'? Do you mean Earth? Is Ibogaine available there? I live on Mars and we don't have Ibogaine, sadly.

I hope today is a better day for you!