Hopeless Addicted to GHB / Phenibut for >5 years

chrisx0

Greenlighter
Hi all,

I try to keep it short. I've been suffering from depression + anxiety / social / generalized anxiety for >10 years now. I had my first appointment with my psychiatrist 6 or 7 years ago. Started with Sertraline, then Escitalopram, then Bupropion, now Mirtazapine. None of these have been helping me really with my anxiety - just for the depression, and always with side effects. I've even been to different docs and none would try something new.

So around 5 years ago I started experimenting myself with various medications. Xanax / Valium help a lot - but also kill all of my emotions. I see them, primarly Xanax, only as a emergency medication for an acute panic attack. So I didn't end up abusing them.

Other things I tried: Phenibut and GHB (came to it by searching for social anxiety meds / what helps with it.) Well, they work too well. I've had problems staying off of those subtances for a good 5 years now, always reaching for one or the other after staying a while away from them. Mostly for social situations, constant fear, uncontrollable thoughts or just situations that are seemingly impossible without meds.

I've ended up in the psych ward 3 times already because of addiction and withdrawal. Lost jobs, girlfriends, friends. Not just that, I can't enjoy life at all anymore. After some time of abuse (I'm talking about daily ~50ml GHB or ~10g Phenibut daily dosages) the drugs stop working - they turn on me - and I can't even fight the withdrawals with taking more. My cycle is pretty much: GHB until it doesn't work anymore - Phenibut for the withdrawals, then continue daily usage, when this doesn't work anymore - Diazepam / Pregabalin for the withdrawals. I mostly manage to somehow come out of the withdrawals / addiction with my cycle, but then again I have to face the sober life, which I can't. The PAWS / Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome is too strong. Constant, super high anxiety / panic, anhedonia, no energy to do anything. Social situations, even with friends or family - are hell. And then the cycle begins again, because I don't want to live a life like that. I would rather trade 10 years of lifetime than feeling like this. I think the continued usage of those drugs, in those dosages, screwed up my brain balance / GABA which needs a lot of time to heal.

What I also tried: Pregabalin. As you can imagine - it works wonderful for me by improving my life so much it's hard to describe. I feel like a 100-pound load off my shoulders. I can finally enjoy life without worrying 24/7 about everything. It is so stressful. It is a world where I don't have a thousand thoughts about what might happen or not. These thoughts literally paralyse me so I end up doing nothing for months.

As I said, I've been to many docs and I recently started to suggest Pregabalin as a prescribed medication - just so I have the supply, a plan how much and when I should take it (for example 3x 150mg daily, no more, no less) and to actually function in the daily life. The problem I had was, that I always experimented myself with the dosages and didn't have a plan how much to take, so I screwed up in the long term. The problem is, no psychiatrist or doctor is willing to prescribe me Pregabalin. They always end up giving me an antidepressant, which helps a tiny bit, but I think they just hit the wrong receptors... I don't need something that stabalizes my Serotonin / Dopamine / Noradrenaline, but rather my GABA (B) and Voltage Calcium Channels I guess.
The only advice they have: Face your fears, it will get better over time. But that's impossible for me. Not in the current state.

Does someone have any suggestions on what I can do in my situation? Are there any other medications for treating post acute withdrawal syndroms from GABA drugs / especially GHB / Phenibut? Or GABA - B?

Last edited:
hey, you should REALLY look into MAOIs. They are the most effective antidepressants, and are often able to treat anhedonia and anxiety very well also. In particular, Nardil (phenelzine) might be a fucking game changer for you. A metabolite of phenelzine It inhibits gaba aminotransferase, so gaba cannot be broken down and it is touted to be the absolute holy grail for social anxiety treatment. However, being an MAOI, it increases dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin, so it should not be dulling to emotions like benzos.

I understand everything you're saying. Phenibut for me is absolutely amazing for depression and anhedonia, but the rebounds can be truly hellish. I have never tried GHB because I know I would like it way, way too much. I personally am considering Parnate (tranylcypromine), equally as powerful as Nardil but usually better for depressive symptoms, whereas nardil is best for anxiety. Do some research on reddit about MAOIs and there are some pretty remarkable stories.

Best of luck. hit me up w/ any questions

Hey Chris,

Seeing your post late but wanted to check in as I have been, almost exactly, where you are with heavy RTC G dosing and tried everything to rotate out of it. The paralyzing, heart thumping, depersonalized anxiety is nightmarishly excruciating and all I can say is you have to be honest with someone. I almost died trying to do it alone with every imaginable med, had seizures, broke my face, etc, etc,. Finally went to treatment and and it took 5 full months before I felt like I wasn’t in an anxiety attack every day. Every. Single. Body system was effected. Will never take a gaba drug again. Benzos, Phen.,Z drugs, booze, none of it. Been 2 years and I’m debateably normal now but I G’d out on SO many occasions (including while driving) and lost SO much time. Shocking that I’m alive and no one was hurt amidst my absolute idiocy. Only way out it through or you’ll be stuck in the rotation for infinity.

PM anytime. Wishing you strength and Godspeed❤️💫