• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

adderall withdrawal.... Help!

zucchinistar18

Greenlighter
Hello. This isn't exactly a recreational drug question, but I thought that people here might be able to help. I take adderall, 25mg XR, daily for ADHD. After taking it every day for 5 years, I find that I feel outright miserable without it! Now, I am traveling out of state, and since my doc went unexpectedly on vacation and I was not able to get my script before I left. I am down to 2.5 pills for the next two weeks!!!! I am trying to avoid taking any, and I feel just awful, like my brain is on its own vacation. I am so bored... I want to engage in something but I just can't! Even writing this post takes a ton of mental effort.

The Drs office said they could have a different doc write a script and mail it to me, but that the pharmacy here is unlikely to fill an out of state rx. My dr is in Arizona but I am in Pennsylvania. Does anyone know the laws here in PA or where I can find them??? In a little over a week I will be visiting family in Virginia too.

Also, how long will I feel like a worthless pile of shit for? Is there anything else OTC that might help me to have some sense of focus? I've been drinking lots of coffee but it does nothing for me. I know about using a basifying agent like tums or baking soda with adderall to potentiate its effects, but I already do that regularly so that I can focus better, and with only 2.5 pills left it's not going to be much help anyway. Any info/advice to help me get through the next two weeks will be so greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

You can easily get an out of state prescription filled at a pharmacy or state in another region of the United States. Talk to your doctor about this, and tell him or her what happened, and how long you will be away for on vacation.

Adderall/Dexedrine even in high doses does not have any sort of withdrawal like alcohol, benzos, or opiates do.

Is not taking your medication really that bad? I was prescribed 5-10mg of Adderall/dexedrine IR for about 3 years for ADD, which I would take during school, not take during the weekend, and I would completely stop taking it during long breaks from school like summer vacation, holidays, etc.

I am moving this to other drugs.

Last edited:
It is pretty bad. I don't know if my "symptoms" are withdrawal related or just untreated attention deficit....

Priest, i'm surprised you'd say that to him. Adderall is similar chemically to Meth.

He is probably going through a hell'ish withdrawal. I'm just surprised you'd go on vacation like that without taking precautions.

I'm sure there's a whole list somewhere online regarding Adderall withdrawal. My family doc won't even let me have it, because of it's addicting nature.

Hang in there bud, the coffee is probably a good idea. dunno what else to say though.

I take A. for depression/ADHD and can empathize . Withdrawal from it can be hellish. I start to feel as if I mite never be able to think again and my depression goes to 10 and productivity does to zero. I stretch my Rx out by snorting 2.5mg at a time. I'm in the same boat but don't have the fucking money to get my script filled. You can increase the intake by taking a base such as baking soda prior to oral dosing but I have never tried it. Rectal bio availability is said to be very high but it must be prepared properly.

I can't believe a doctor would make such an incredible blunder... Actually, I can, they do it all the time and leave patients to pick up the pieces.

So, by the sound of it, you're not a recreational drug user, so the concepts of withdrawal and drug abstinence might be pretty foreign to you. I'm going on this assumption, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

The fact is that stimulant withdrawal is not typically dangerous. You will probably experience some anxiety, depression, hypersomnolence and your appetite will most likely be stimulated. But, you're not a heavy user, so take all of these symptoms and you may experience them in a significantly more mild form than say, a methamphetamine addict on a crash. I don't mean to make peanuts of your situation, but 25mg of mixed salts per day is not much. I'm sure there's an army of 3rd graders hopped up on that dose of speed in this country of ours.

Dosage is kind of irrelevant in this situation though, as regardless of dose, this experience seems to have a very clear impact on you and your quality of life. I'm no legal or pharmaceutical expert, but I know that it's going to be near impossible to fill an amphetamine script in another state while on vacation. I had a tough time getting my pregabalin (Lyrica) filled in the neighboring state of New Hampshire and pregabalin is only a C5 substance, with amphetamine salts being either C2 or C3 at most.

The unfortunate thing is that everything that I would recommend to one to achieve focus is probably out of the question as you already have a slight taste for the amphetamines in your system. But, they are ephedrine and/or pseudoephedrine, that is if you can find them and attain them. Any pharmacy should carry them, but in the rural areas of PA, you may have a harder time. These, in my opinion, are the closest thing to legal speed that you can get. Bear in mind, you will be exceeding the recommended dosage by a considerable amount to attain desired effects.

Many who take amphetamines therapeutically complain of decreased work ethic/output following cessation of medication. Look at Paul Erdos, a brilliant mind, but, totally dependent upon amphetamines. It's not surprising in the least.

What I should have said, is that filling an amphetamine prescription in another state is definitely possible, but there's a lot of shit to wade through.

Priest, i'm surprised you'd say that to him. Adderall is similar chemically to Meth.

He is probably going through a hell'ish withdrawal. I'm just surprised you'd go on vacation like that without taking precautions.

I'm sure there's a whole list somewhere online regarding Adderall withdrawal. My family doc won't even let me have it, because of it's addicting nature.

Hang in there bud, the coffee is probably a good idea. dunno what else to say though.

I would not classify amphetamine withdrawal as "hellish" by any means, especially if one has experienced withdrawal from opiates/benzos/alcohol. Pretty sure that's what Priest is getting at. Not to say discontinuation of ADD medication won't be uncomfortable for a few days while your body adjusts, but at therapeutic doses (25mg XR daily = 12.5mg 2x per day), it's not something I would be stressing.

Make sure to eat healthy and try and get some sleep to help replenish the "feel good" chemicals in your brain. Also if worst comes to worst, you should be able to fill a controlled substance script out of state. Just look up the laws of the state your in to be sure.

Keif, you summed me up 100%
No, the withdrawal is not even close to hellish. In fact, I experienced truly hellish withdrawal from, of all things, an antidepressant. Rather than hellish, it is more like extraordinarily uncomfortable to the mind. I cannot focus my attention on even the smallest things, like having a conversation with my family, or watching stupid fuzzy animal videos on the internet. literally nothing catches my attention, even though I am desperately bored. Its as though my mind desperately wants to engage in something, but it simply cannot. This might just be severe, untreated ADD and not withdrawal. I have another week and a half to go, so any relief would be really helpful. Adderall is a C2 med. I will have my paper script in Virginia on Wednesday. How do I even look up the laws for that state? Google searches have not been helpful. Can I have a doctor call the pharmacy or something? Also, I can get psuedoephedrine no problem, but how much do you need to take? Ive never taken ephedrine before. i would be willing to give it a try, for my family's sake so that they can have me actually "present" on my trip to visit them, but i'd want to be absolutely sure I'm not going to overdo it.

Wow I can't imagine taking any drug for five years straight....even when I had an Adderall Rx I would take about 1/4 of the prescribed dose and cultivate the rest, if you will.
I don't even take opiates every day, just every day until I run out, then it's back to the drawing board...I guess I assumed everybody was like this with narcotics...

Coffee won't set you strait, caffine either. You need something with some REAL dopamine releasing power, amphetamines are pretty much the only SAFE(ish) options that comes to mind.....

Can't you find a local doctor and explain your situation? I mean it's just Adderall afterall, not like your going office to office trying to score painkillers...

Maybe get a family member back home to get your RX from your doctor, have it filled, and overnight it to where your staying???

Whatever you do, don't turn to the street, you can't trust the sheisters out there!!

Good luck

Try and make those addys last as long as you can. Even if you have to take one a day or half of one a day. That fatigue can be unbearable and it is not pleasant. That fatigue will lift in a couple days as long as you A: get some good sleep, B: eat some decent nutrition, and C: get a little bit of rest. Last but not least drink plenty of water.

Yea I have been but I'm down to only 12 mg left, which is about 4 hours worth of a mildly therapeutic dose for me. I wouldn't say that fatigue is the big issue, rather it's the "brain fog" of sorts and total inability to engage my mind.

Also, with regards to taking a medication for 5 years straight, diabetics take insulin for life. I also take thyroid medication that I will likely need for life. I'm using a medication here, as prescribed by my doctor. Not recreational use.

You might find this information on coping with AMP withdrawal useful: http://www.brainprotips.com/adderall-withdrawal-symptoms/

If you're crashing try using natural anxiolytics like magnesium/melatonin/l-theanine/tea. This is a stretch, but you can also use caffeine or modafinil (if you can get it) as a weak AMP-like substitute.

The problem I've noticed with melatonin and ADD is that while melatonin relaxes the body, it can be really uncomfortable because it does little to nothing to quiet the mind. So you end up feeling physically tired but still mentally stimulated/unable to be quiet and focus, which can be even worse than being stimulated all around.

OP, try some meditation if you can manage it... it will be frustrating at first, but do your best to just catch yourself when your focus drifts and bring your mind back to quiet and mindful. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot to do if you can't get your script filled (and honestly, with Adderall and other ADHD medications, while they're classified as narcotics they're generally not treated as seriously as opiate narcotics so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a script out of state). Head to TDS or recovery support if you need to vent, try not to keep stuff in, and do your best to quiet your mind. IF you can get some benzos or something at low doses to help you through this, that might be of use as well. Hang in there and good luck.

I know exactly what you're talking about..melatonin does nothing to calm a hyperactive mind. I wonder what actually does, short of benzodiazepines/ethanol/anticonvulsants?

The problem I've noticed with melatonin and ADD is that while melatonin relaxes the body, it can be really uncomfortable because it does little to nothing to quiet the mind. So you end up feeling physically tired but still mentally stimulated/unable to be quiet and focus, which can be even worse than being stimulated all around.

OP, try some meditation if you can manage it... it will be frustrating at first, but do your best to just catch yourself when your focus drifts and bring your mind back to quiet and mindful. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot to do if you can't get your script filled (and honestly, with Adderall and other ADHD medications, while they're classified as narcotics they're generally not treated as seriously as opiate narcotics so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a script out of state). Head to TDS or recovery support if you need to vent, try not to keep stuff in, and do your best to quiet your mind. IF you can get some benzos or something at low doses to help you through this, that might be of use as well. Hang in there and good luck.

Honestly I would agree that a comparable opiate habit, maybe or maybe not a benzo habit though (as benzo withdrawal has always made me feel less depressed in a sense) is worse than a stimulant withdrawal. I was on the maximum dose of amphetamine allowed for a year, and withdrawal from that didn't come close to being on an opioid for a year. But it was still hellish. I mean to say that you lose your personality and wonderment. The worst is losing your productivity, though, which could make it overall worse than an opiate withdrawal, but it depends on how one makes their daily bread. A job which demands high vigilance/level of cognition and stimulant withdrawal is one of the worst combinations I can imagine. If one gets their kicks from thinking more than partying and such, it is similarly worse.

I'm also surprised by those saying that Adderall has no withdrawal. There may be no physical withdrawal but the depression and fatigue after abruptly stopping taking Aderall or Dexamfetamine can be immense. I don't think it's right to underplay it and make it sound like it's nothing.

To the OP,

Go to the grocery store or CVS, and buy over the counter Benzedrex (propylhexedrine). Do some research on how to take it, and viola, problem solved. Benzedrex is actually superior to Adderall.

To the OP,

Go to the grocery store or CVS, and buy over the counter Benzedrex (propylhexedrine). Do some research on how to take it, and viola, problem solved. Benzedrex is actually superior to Adderall.

I've yet to try propylhexedrine at this point, but I'm skeptical to that comment. I won't knock it or say your crazy till I've tried it myself though. The idea of having to swallow a bunch of benzedrex inhalers and deal with nasty tasting burps for the duration of the experience sounds highly unpleasent and has been the turn-off for me.