• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Adderall- is it worth it???

Vv8

Greenlighter
Hi guys. Definitely new here so I apologize if this isn’t even in the right forum.
To cut to the chase- I am sick and tired of pretending I completely agree with every psychiatrist I’ve ever seen. I feel like the physiatrists I’ve had truly do not care about making me better- they just want to throw drugs at me and send me off. (To clarify- I understand they are not therapists. They are there to write scripts.) I just feel like they never take the time to actually analyze my symptoms and put me on the best drug for it. So I’m here, bevause I want real experiences from real people who are not in it for the money.
so, for as long as I can remember, I’ve had issues with my focus and anxiety-when I was 18 I got put on Paxil which really helped my anxiety, still does. I am 22 now and still take the Paxil. In March of this year, though, I saw a different psychiatrist due to my focus issues. It was more like I am always so anxious about what is coming next that I can never complete the task at hand, or even just live in the moment. He had me take a questionair and then deemed me severe ADHD, which is possible as I do have many of the symptoms of adhd. Doc told me 20 mg of Adderall twice a day would help with the anxious/scattered thoughts that my Paxil still doesn’t address. Since about mid March, I have been taking 20-40 mgs of adderall IR almost every day. It really does help me in ways I thought could never happen. Since taking it, all of my once crippling (even with the Paxil) anxious thoughts about what was coming next have disappeared. I am able to focus and feel like a normal person. But of course, adderall will make anyone feel like they are walking on the moon.
here is my issue. my family has had a long history of addiction- lost most of my dads side of the family to it- so it scares me.I guess I am here for Advice and support. I do not feel addicted to adderall, as most of the days I don’t even take my full dose. but I’ve been noticing more frequently that once I start coming down from the drug, I become aggressive and sad. I am torn between just giving up adderall because of my worry for addiction as well as the fact that almost any story you hear about adderall is negative, and just accepting the help that it gives me. I don’t want to depend on it my entire life, and expressing concerns like this in the past to my docs seem to get me no where. I have also read a few articles about the interaction between Paxil and Adderall, and it seems like almost no one knows about the interaction- but there is one, as many people have posted stories of their experiences taking both medications. At this moment, I don’t know exactly what to do. I would love to live my life sober- but am I just refusing to admit that I need help, more than just therapy? Adderall, if taken correctly for people who actually need it, I believe could work wonders, as it just like any other mental condition that depends on your brain chem. But do I need it? Would I be better without it? I guess I’m just wanting input from people who have taken adderall with success, or maybe anybody who has been taking Paxil and Adderall together. Sorry for the long, all over the place post. Just genuinely wanted to get all of this off my chest to people who care.

It's tempting to look for a substance to solve your problems, I've been doing it for 10 years more than you. But I would say generally no, not at your age, and not for the reasons you want to take it -

Wait, scratch that, I didn't read your post properly because I'm on a self prescribed dose of amphetamine right now. You're already prescribed it and have been taking it for 5 months without issues? If so and it's helping, keep taking it as prescribed. You are aware of the dangers, so be very very careful not to take more than the minimum effective dose, don't get talked into raising your dose if you don't have to, and don't neglect non-chemical techniques to manage your psychiatric deficit.

In my experience as a layperson and dubiously self diagnosed ADD sufferer, in actual fact the techniques for managing symptoms are the same for those who would benefit from stimulants, whether for AD(H)D or another condition, as for those who are undiagnosed, with intermittent but not clinically relevant symptoms who just muddle by with varying degrees of success. But they are aguably just even MORE important for sufferers of the aforementioned conditions.

That being the case - if you're prescribed it by a psychiatric professional that you trust and you are not experiencing any significant negative symptoms, take your dose as prescribed. But don't just coast and think you're cured because it's possible for any substance to lose it's effectiveness over time. Use your reprieve from your ailments to read about your condition, learn about other non-chemical techniques to manage it, and apply them as much as you can in your every day life so that if the meds ever DO stop working, you're not just lost at sea without a lifeboat but have enough understanding of how your brain works to cope.

Personally I really enjoyed reading Gabor Mate's Scatterred Minds, it's kind of light on actual techniques (there are plenty of other books for that) but personally I think it really gave me some perspective and a new way of looking at how my mind worked when previously I just had a lot of confusion and self-loathing.

Finally - gotta be said - exercise, good diet, meditation. Just like the other stuff - it's even MORE important to you than to most people that you keep up good habits in your life. Stay organised and do your best. Good luck!

Hi OP, I don't have experience being prescribed either of the drugs you're on, but I do really feel for you and am frustrated on your behalf that the psychiatrists in your jurisdiction (I'm assuming the U.S.) aren't interested in truly learning about your symptoms and understanding your concerns. Here in Australia, we are lucky enough to have some psychiatrists that also offer psychotherapy – a "one stop shop" for both therapy and medication, if you will. For me (and I have been on literally dozens of different meds over the past 20 years), finding a good psychiatrist who was willing to do therapy with me was a breakthrough. I've developed a relationship with this doctor over the past seven years and have been able to come on and off medications as required, because the doctor knows my history and also my psychology.

Anyway, the main point of this post is simply to say: I feel for you. But also, I strongly recommend researching the psychiatrists in your local area and finding out if any of them offer psychotherapy, too. I know that some psychiatrists in the U.S. do this (although, granted, it is rare). Otherwise, @Vastness made good points about lifestyle etc.

Hope you can find the answers you are looking for.