• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall has little to no medical or recreational effect on me

ataraxy

Greenlighter
Before I begin, here's a list of the medications I am on:
Adderall (amphetamine/dextroamphetamine - instant release)
Wellbutrin XL (bupropion)
Prilosec (omeprazole)
Doxycycline monohydrate
Trileptal (oxcarbazepine)
Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate)

Also, I am 5'3 and 110 pounds, because I know that can affect things.

Last night, I decided that I would try to get high on instant release Adderall for the second time in my life. Half a year ago when I first attempted to do this, I took 80mg orally and felt no different than usual. At the time, I was prescribed 20mg of Adderall once daily and was not on Wellbutrin.

I have ADHD, but neither Vyvanse nor Adderall have been able to help with that in the slightest. I have been taking Adderall for over a year now, but I’ve noticed that it only elevates my mood, keeps me awake, and suppresses my appetite a little bit. I now take 20mg twice daily. Since it's summertime and I don’t need to bother with keeping myself on a sleep schedule, I’ve been skipping out on taking my Trileptal and Seroquel at night like I do during the school year, because they knock me out.

Yesterday, I took my morning medication when I woke up, as I do every day. That night around 10:15 pm while on Skype with a friend, I decided to take some Adderall orally.

T+0:00 – I took 100mg orally and gave it a little over an hour to kick in.

T+1:15 – The fact that I had taken the Adderall would’ve completely escaped my mind if my friend hadn’t asked how I was feeling. It was around 11:30 pm and I felt no effects; not even an increase in heart rate. We agreed that I should snort 20mg more. I’m far from experienced with drugs, and it was my first time insufflating anything, so it took me a good 30 minutes to do it.

T+2:00 – By midnight, I had taken a total of 120mg of Adderall. Shortly after snorting the 20mg, my heart rate increased for about 5 minutes, then slowed down. Since I didn’t feel anything before or after my heart rate sped up, I’m guessing the cause of it was either a classic case of the placebo effect or the exhilaration of my first time snorting pills, something I’ve always been nervous about doing but ended up enjoying.

T+3:00 – I started to feel a tad nauseous and bloated. It felt like I might throw up, but I never did. It wasn’t intense, so it’s probably not very noteworthy.

T+7:45 – I watched horror movies with my friend until 6:00 am, when we both went to bed. I decided to take 25mg of Seroquel in order to fall asleep.

T+11:15 – I slept very lightly and woke up at around 9:30 am feeling slightly lightheaded, but otherwise perfectly normal.

I’m unsure as to why I’m not being affected by Adderall very much. My friend and I were both sure that I would feel at least a little bit from taking 120mg, but I didn’t. I’ve asked my doctors and done plenty of research to find out if one of my other medications might affect its ability to work properly in my body, but I’ve come up with nothing so far. I’ve also thought that it might be my tolerance after taking it for such a long period of time, but I’ve never really felt like it was doing its job; even when I first started taking it. I’m drawing a whole bunch of blanks here, so even wild guesses are appreciated.

Last edited:
Then don't take it recreationally? Try something else?

I'm not sure what you were expecting. It's not a great idea to build a recreational-use level tolerance to something you take as a regular medication.

I don't plan on using it recreationally again. I'm simply wondering if anyone has a possible elucidation, scientific or otherwise, as to why Adderall doesn't affect me the way it does most people.

It's not the answer you need to hear, but this kind of situation is known to happen in some individuals. Not all people respond to amphetamine with stereotyped stimulating effects. Especially if you use amphetamine with any sort of regularity.

If you've used amphetamine for a while now and semm to only get mild stimulating effects, I'd say you're unlikely to get euphoria of any sort. The nausea at t+3hours is probably correlated to peak blood concentrations of amphetamine, so if you were going to feel good, that was the time you would have.

If you're going to try again, dont take amphetamine for ~2 weeks, make sure to get enough food and rest, and then try ~100mg. Alternatively, try plugging it...

Then don't take it recreationally? Try something else?

I'm not sure what you were expecting. It's not a great idea to build a recreational-use level tolerance to something you take as a regular medication.
This. You took a huge dose of amphetamines and did not get high from them, but you said you had ADHD so that's why you did not react to it the way people who do not have ADD or ADHD do when they take it.

I agree with the idea that if you have ADD/ADHD it's not going to get you where you are trying to go.
Another thing to add, I don't have these conditions yet any amount of Adderall will create a buzz, increasingly with the higher
the dose. However, if I take it the next day the affect is diminished greatly without taking a higher dose. But by the third or fourth day, I will not get any type or buzz other than not feeling like total crap. My appetite also reappears and I will be able to eat like normal around the 3rd or 4th day. Guess what, that is the way the medication is supposed to work basically.
So to sum it up- if you take it already daily it probably won't be what you are looking for, sorry.

Hope this was helpful.

This. You took a huge dose of amphetamines and did not get high from them, but you said you had ADHD so that's why you did not react to it the way people who do not have ADD or ADHD do when they take it.
I see your point, thank you. That's one of my questions answered.

However, getting high isn't my biggest concern. I'm mainly wondering why Adderall and the other ADHD medications I've been prescribed don't work on me for medicinal purposes. I probably should've made that more clear in my original post, sorry.

Anecdotal evidence from around the Internet suggests that Adderall simply doesn't work for some people. No clue what the science behind that is. Maybe it's an interaction with one of your other medications?

I have a bit of trouble having fun with it recreationally, though. I have to constantly work on goal-oriented tasks when I'm on it, otherwise my mood goes to shit.