• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall Before Bed

Asparagus_Prince

Bluelighter
Suppose an Adderall user wants to be asleep by midnight. Which scenario do you think is more likely to disrupt sleep?

Scenario 1: Takes 20mg at 8am, 20mg at 11am, and 20mg at 2pm for a total of 60mg. Stops there and hopes to be asleep 10 hours later at midnight.

Scenario 2: Takes 20mg at 7pm. That's it. Hopes to be asleep 5 hours later at midnight.

I know everyone is different but which scenario is more likely to disrupt sleep for the average person/user?

I think scenario 1 more likely to disturb sleep

If we consider the half life of adderall to be 10 hours (9-10 for d and 11-14 for l according to wikipedia) scenario 1 would lead to having 33.375mg of amphetamine in the plasma at 7 pm while the second scenario would give the starting dose of 20mg in plasma at 7 pm

Scenario 1: a hair over 25mg in plasma at midnight

Scenario 2: 15mg in plasma at midnight

Why do I feel like I just answered a pharm test question

I think scenario 1 more likely to disturb sleep

If we consider the half life of adderall to be 10 hours (9-10 for d and 11-14 for l according to wikipedia) scenario 1 would lead to having 33.375mg of amphetamine in the plasma at 7 pm while the second scenario would give the starting dose of 20mg in plasma at 7 pm

Scenario 1: a hair over 25mg in plasma at midnight

Scenario 2: 15mg in plasma at midnight

Why do I feel like I just answered a pharm test question
If I remember correctly, that would be the half life present in the blood. Which is distinct from the brain

If I remember correctly, that would be the half life present in the blood. Which is distinct from the brain
Lol - it does kinda read like one.

I’d go with @negrogesic on this one. Probably 2 but it really just depends imo on the persons personal physiological and mental make up.

I mean I’m sure on paper it’s number 2, but doesn’t always work out to be what’s on paper.

Half life is measured in the blood. While there is distribution and different compounds hang out in different tissues for different lengths of time, it all ends up getting filtered out of blood at the end of the day.

Drug is eaten, absorbed through GI, into liver, into circulation, into other tissues, then as it leaves blood, slowly leaves other tissues to go back into blood to maintain the partition concentrations

The second option you've mentioned, I feel is more likely to seriously impact your sleep. If you're a non-recreational user with experience handling 60mg Mixed Amphetamine (Adderall), then I believe it shouldn't be an issue going to sleep 10 hours later. If you're a recreational user without tolerance, I could see ou still being too wired to go to sleep 10 hours later.Either way, as long as you are not taking any more Amphetamine after that final 2pm dose, you will likely be able to sleep 12:00am give or take an hour.

Amphetamine actually has a pretty varied range in terms of potency and duration. For instance, urinary PH plays a huge role. A more alkaline urinary PH could mean the difference between ~50% of the drug being excreted in the urine or ~25% with a longer duration of action as well. Drugs that inhibit CYP2D6 can do the same thing. We were talking about Methadone and Fluvoxamine (Luvox) in another thread, as it's a similar situation. With all of this in mind, it's hard to pinpoint for an individual person how long their drugs will last. You are likely the best judge of this, not us.

I've experimented with this mostly back in college. I've had Amphetamine last for 4 hours, then a crash. When I've taken powerful antacids, the durations was at least 2.5 hours longer. I now will take antacids whenever I take my daily Lisdexamphetamine (Vyvanse) and I can easily get 12 solid hours out of it. Anyway, consider some of these factors and tryt to use your past experiences to make the best decision.