• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Adamantane and its derivatives

Were bromantaine shines is under intense physical stress. If you had taken it and not engaged in some limit pushing physical activity, it's main effect (being oxygen conservation and recycling pyruvate in the cellular respiration chain, copied from wikipedia > The first step of carbohydrate catabolism is glycolysis, which produces pyruvate, NADH, and ATP. Under anaerobic conditions, the pyruvate can be converted into lactate to keep glycolysis working. Under aerobic conditions, pyruvate enters the Krebs cycle, also called the citric acid cycle or tricarboxylic acid cycle), would have gone largely untested. Or at least, this is what I've found. The cognitive enhancing aspect is very mild I must agree.

Also, time spend in a sauna really caused the effects to become more apparent, as say a 12 min session was my regular "tap out" time, after a week on 50 mg per day, 15 mins was not a big deal. It's got it's place for sure and I'd have to say augmentation of oxygen consumption is probably where it's at with this one. Cardio also became incredibly augmented, I would struggle to get my heart rate up to 150, where 150 before wasn't too difficult to hit doing the same activity. In this case, stationary bike using HR monitor. This finding would reflect the decreased demand of oxygen by cells in the body, and reinforce the concept of pyruvate recycling.

It's been used extensively in the Olympics and military applications by Russia as well.

Here's a decent article on the pharmacology of this group of drugs;

And the excerpt I'm referring to pertains to bemitil, but an extrapolation by virtue of subjective effect and practical application points to some level of similar action by it's cousin, bromantane;

Bemitil, as well as the other well-studied actoprotectors, has no serious side effects. Bemitil and the other imidazole derivatives can cause dyspeptic disturbances (nausea, particularly on an empty stomach, though seldomly; vomiting; a general sense of discomfort in the region of the stomach and/or liver), psychoactivation effects (affective irritability, shortening of sleep quality and length), headache, and hyperemia of the face. Allergic reactions connected with the presence of bromide cannot be excluded. Bemitil is contraindicated under hypoglycemia and barbiturate administration conditions.

Thus, bemitil is a pharmacological agent of metabolic, non-exhaustive action, which comprises cell genome activation and expression of RNA and proteins, including enzymes and other proteins associated with the immune system. Also occurring

is expression of gluconeogenesis enzymes synthesis, which facilitates lactate utilization and carbohydrate resynthesis, which leads in turn to increased physical working capacity. The enhancement of the synthesis of the mitochondrial enzymes and structural proteins of the mitochondria makes possible an increase in energy production and the maintenance of a high degree contingency between oxidation and phosphorylation. Maintenance of high-level ATP synthesis under oxygen deficiency promotes apparent antihypoxic and antiischemic activity. As an indirect-action antioxidant, bemitil enhances biosynthesis of antioxidant enzymes. The antimutagenic properties of bemitil might be important to genomic protection against mutagenic factors of chemical, physical or biological origin. Finally, bemitil increases an organism's stability against the influence of extreme conditions (heavy physical loads, stresses, hypoxia, hyper- and hypothermia, etc.).

Also under bromantane;

In terms of its pharmacological action, bromantane shows an antiasthenic effect, increases resistance to overheating, and, thereby, contributes to the restoration of working capacity after physical loads. This compound, which possesses combined stimulative and anxiolytic effects, increases physical and intellectual working capacity; inhibits the development of fatigue processes; accelerates restoration under common conditions and conditions complicated by hypoxia and hyperthermia; promotes improvement of mnemic processes (learning); improves the coordination of movements; increases body temperature; has a neuropsychoactivation effect (therefore it is sometimes referred to as a psychomotor stimulator); reveals antagonism to the sedative action of tranquilizers; displays a positive inotropic action without affecting the heart chronotropic function or systemic arterial pressure, and produces immunomodulation activity (Sedov et al., 1999; Morozov et al., 1999).

Whereas bromantane lacks hypno-sedative and neuromuscular relaxant properties, it does not possess any addictive potential. At its application, it does not, unlike typical psychostimulants, develop the phenomena of hyperstimulation.

It was determined that bromantane has a positive influence on the indices of psychophysiological conditions: range and stability of attention, complex sensomotor reaction, and the parameters of successful operator activity (Viatleva et al., 2000).

The mechanism of bromantane action is based on the facility to increase the activity of the lower centers of the central nervous system (the hypothalamus nuclei, the reticular nuclei of the operculum, the hippocampus). It does not exert any expressed action on noradrenergic mediators, but implements the activation properties through the dopaminergic system. Bromantane strengthens GABA-ergic mediation, reducing gene expression, supervising synthesis of GABA-transporters, and functioning as a return capture mediator. A potentiality for central serotonin holding effects is also assumed.

A definite role in the implementation of the bromantane pharmacological effect is played by its antiradical and membrane protective properties: bromantane increases immunity even after a single dose (increases the level of B-cells and circulating immune complex in the blood-stream), and it is more powerful than another synthetic adaptogen, levamizol, in terms of its effect on immunity (Morozov et al., 1999).

Bromantane stimulates synthesis of cytochrome P-450 and thus facilitates detoxifying liver functions and reduces the hypnotic action of thiopental sodium (but at the same time, does not weaken the anxiolytic effect of benzodiazepines).

Bromantane administration in therapeutic doses is characterized by the almost full absence of side effects including manifestations of withdrawal syndrome and hyperstimulation (Morozov et al., 1999). In animal experiments, toxic reactions were observed only after high doses of bromantane administration (>600 mg/kg). Lower doses (30-300 mg/kg) stimulated, and higher doses (600-9,600 mg/kg) suppressed behavioral activity. Spontaneous motor activity was increased after single treatment of bromantane in doses of 30-300 mg/kg, was not changed after treatment in doses of 600 mg/kg, but was inhibited after treatment in doses above 600 mg/kg. The drug reduced the pain sensitivity threshold in doses of 300-600 mg/kg, and elevated it, along with tactile sensitivity and reaction to knock, in doses above 600 mg/kg (Iezhitsa et al., 2002).

Additional and more detailed information on the pharmacological properties of bromantane is available in a foundational book, some review articles (Morozov et al., 1999; Morozov and Ivanova, 2001), and numerous clinical and experimental studies first and foremost from the laboratories of I.S. Morozov and S.B. Seredenin.

If anyone else has any experiences using bromantane for performance enhancement, I'm interested to hear what their experience was like. There isn't any logs that I can find on it, and I've been planning an experiment myself revolving around experimenting with baseline measurements of strength and endurance, with concurrent measurements as the administration period continues to 30 - maybe 60 days with blood work at the end. I'm actually going for baseline blood work tomorrow to kick off the whole experiment. 500$ of science per test
so it doesnt have sympathomimetic effects?

Bromantane in particular is an interesting drug. I can't discern any traditional stimulant effects such as euphoria or desire to redose.

However, there is a "gentle" background stimulation when engaging in activities that produce a flow state. When sitting idle on it, nothing is going on. Then, when I'm framing at work, a bit of a reward pattern happens when I work efficiently, which somehow creates this cascade of desire to repeat the reward experience (which I do over and over via cutting and installation of steel at a fast pace). I believe this is due to the activity producing the dopamine reward effect, and this comes from any activity which would produce a dopamine hit in the brain.

I've found this very much with Bromantane. Cognitive tasks are easier, dealing with heat is easier, dealing with activities which demand more longevity and endurance are easier to maintain at a higher level for longer.

It's basically a very A-typical performance enhancing drug with no recreational potential. The way Bromantane works sort of reminds me of steroids, minus the anabolic component. If you use the drug and don't challenge your body, the drug won't be able to elicit it's most desirable effects.

I'll be experimenting with Bemitil in the next few months to compare.

I havent noticed anything from bromantane yet, negative or positive. what i would like is to take advantage of its effects in lowering glutamate/raising gaba, and also motivation. I have a disease and injury tht causes lots of issues with oxidative stress and glutamate, and fatigue, but isn't responsive to normal stimulants, can't tolerate them at all. if all the hype from the literature ive read so far is true, it would be the perfect drug for both TBI and ME/CFS, because it is stimulating without being sympathomimetic, and is neuroprotective

I'd like to know how common it is for memantine to cause any issues related to high blood pressure or strokes. bc people have miracle stories about how memantine helped with their opioid tolerance

I've read about people looking to bromantane and adamantane for similar issues. I'm very curious to know what (if anything) it can do to help correct some of the homeostatic imbalances that occur with issues like TBI and ME/CFS.

There is a plethora of other nootropics that may be suited to help with the recovery process as well. I can't go into too much detail as I'm getting ready for work ATM, but I can dig around and find some links to a few some time.

For brain injuries (among other ailments) the peptides selank and semax have been used in Russia for a long time now, there is a whole category of A-typical drugs and peptides that may be able to help. But it's all kind of a crapshoot, and by that I mean finding a legit source and self administering drugs found off the internet to treat medical conditions is usually not something which is encouraged. However, I do understand that sometimes we have to take matters into our own hands. Such is the nature of self experimentation VS the very slow and bureaucratic wheel of western medicine.

What was the initial injury if I may pry into the nature of the issue a little deeper? And also, is the injury and the ME / CFS related to it?

I've read about people looking to bromantane and adamantane for similar issues. I'm very curious to know what (if anything) it can do to help correct some of the homeostatic imbalances that occur with issues like TBI and ME/CFS.

There is a plethora of other nootropics that may be suited to help with the recovery process as well. I can't go into too much detail as I'm getting ready for work ATM, but I can dig around and find some links to a few some time.

For brain injuries (among other ailments) the peptides selank and semax have been used in Russia for a long time now, there is a whole category of A-typical drugs and peptides that may be able to help. But it's all kind of a crapshoot, and by that I mean finding a legit source and self administering drugs found off the internet to treat medical conditions is usually not something which is encouraged. However, I do understand that sometimes we have to take matters into our own hands. Such is the nature of self experimentation VS the very slow and bureaucratic wheel of western medicine.

What was the initial injury if I may pry into the nature of the issue a little deeper? And also, is the injury and the ME / CFS related to it?
I say TBI as a simplification since having craniocervical instability (see mechanicalbasis.org) is sort of like having chronic brainstem tbi. but there was no initial trauma. i simply developed this from either environmental exposures, infection or connective tissue disorder, that damaged cervical ligaments, causing a position where the odontoid bone compresses my brainstem. so its sort of like having a chronic tbi with no trauma.

and i very much think that this is related to the me/cfs , but there are no studies yet connecting them so its up to anecdote and me having surgery to prove it.