• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Actions of Neurotransmitter's

Psychedelics_r_best

Bluelighter
I know that neurotransmitters such as Acetylcholine trigger simple electrical signals, via the ion gates (I think), that cause muscles to contract. But how do other neurotransmitters work in your brain to create emotions or feelings such as happiness, sorrow, and concentration?

For example, serotonin is known to be assosciated with happines when it is in supply, but how does the binding of serotonin to receptors actually result in a feeling of happiness and well being?

And the nobel prize goes to bilz0r for explaining the nature of the link between neurophysiology and cognition.

Yeah, no... for 1. Serotonin doesn't cause happyness. Take a single dose of an SSRI. You're serotonin levels will go up by 300%, and I bet you wont go "man I feel happy" you might say "man I feel like I need a shit" or "man, why can't I stop yawning" or even "man, I couldn't get it up even if Beyonce was sitting squarley on my face"... but not happy...

Acetylcholine can do a lot more than trigger the flow of ion's in the neuro-muscular junction as well, it's increadibley important in learning and memory and this is largely due to it's action on muscarninic receptors that aren't ion channels.

If you want to know how receptors work in the brain, I suggest you read the neurophysiology text again:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=166687

Specifically the bits on the electrical and chemical properties of the brain.

Well poop. I guess my example shows how stupid I am.

But anyway. How does the binding of these neurotransmitters cause you to have emotion. How does this translate into emotion, or memory. I suppose Ill read your link now as it might answer my question. Oh har har. Its just that one thread.

How does the binding of these neurotransmitters cause you to have emotion.
That's what Im saying: no one knows. If you answered that you'd probably be one of the most famous scientists of the 21st century.

Memory we're a bit closer to explaining...

Which neurotransmitter can cause recreational effects?
Serotonin, Dopamine, Norepinephrine I think.
But can Acetylcholine (for exemple) cause a recreational effect in any way?

jasoncrest said:
can Acetylcholine (for exemple) cause a recreational effect in any way?

Wiki:
A cholinergic agent, also known as a parasympathomimetic is a chemical which functions to enhance the effects mediated by acetylcholine in the central nervous system, the peripheral nervous system, or both. These include the acetylcholine receptor agonists muscarine and nicotine, as well as anticholinesterases.

So yes, is the answer.

While I think they may have a modulatory role to play in addiction, IMO I find it unlikely that they are truly recreational.

bigmac74 said:
So yes, is the answer.

Muscarine or Nicotine are not recreational at all....

I don't see what shows in the wikipedia article that acetylcholine-mediated recreation can exist...

As far as understanding how neurophysiology and cognition relate there is a fairly interesting book called In Search of Memory by Eric Kandel.

I highly reccomend it.

Not to mention the gloriously titled "Consciousness Explained" by Daniel Dennett

jasoncrest said:
Muscarine or Nicotine are not recreational at all....

I don't see what shows in the wikipedia article that acetylcholine-mediated recreation can exist...

Why do people take them then?

Also, some people take anticholinergics recreationally, although some might argue that its not recreational, depends what your definition is.

Not many people take muscarine.... people take nicotine because it is addictive.

People take antimuscarinics because they are easilty available and hallucinogenic; not many people ever take it twice though.

Drugs such as datura work by blocking muscarinic acetylcholine receptors.

Nicotine in tobacco and arecoline (in betel nut) work by stimulating acetylcholine receptors.

None of these drugs is really "fun" in my experience, but they are all recreational drugs in that people take them voluntarily for no medical reason.

Tobacco and betel nut are among the most widely used drugs in the world, hundreds of millions of people take them every day.

mad_scientist said:

Nicotine in tobacco and arecoline (in betel nut) work by stimulating acetylcholine receptors.

None of these drugs is really "fun" in my experience, but they are all recreational drugs in that people take them voluntarily for no medical reason.

Tobacco and betel nut are among the most widely used drugs in the world, hundreds of millions of people take them every day.

Yea I forgot about arecoline, someone I know takes it and he finds it recreational but I expect the recreational effects come from something else rather than the acetylcholine action.

I find tobacco quite recreational... actually, anything that makes you feel different will probably be recreational for some.

BilZ0r said:
That's what Im saying: no one knows. If you answered that you'd probably be one of the most famous scientists of the 21st century.

and that's a gigantic understatement...

BilZ0r said:
And the nobel prize goes to bilz0r for explaining the nature of the link between neurophysiology and cognition.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=166687

Specifically the bits on the electrical and chemical properties of the brain.

I must've read a thousand posts of yours by now. The knowledge and the writing style are both in constant evolution. They are at different levels but it is interesting to me to read the progression and wonder which drug you may be on at different times. What is your field if I may be so bold, what are you hoping to accomplish? Without making it seem like I'm on amphetamines you are one scientist I'd like to see funded (and possibly watch that progression from search for truth to corruption). Just 2001ing, sending you some positive energy and I don't really expect an answer but I thought I'd take a shot:)

peace

mad_scientist said:

nicotine stimulate nicotine receptors, where as betel nut stimulate muscarinic receptors from memory.

i used to have betel nut in India after a meal- the really strong ones used to wack me good and proper: drool like a manic, spitting red everywhere, and my legs would go totally useless, and major head spins from the lime paste.

the indians thought it was funny!