• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Acid Reflux.

Chocolate and mint are both well known relaxers of the sphincter at the top of the stomach. They can both create acute GERD problems for some people. As SA pointed out people who have their worst symptoms at night do well to elevate the pillow end of their bed 6 inches(about 16cm) or so.

How long have you been dealing with this?

Yeah i've had an enscopy to see if there were any problems with my stomach and apparently it was all clear.

I am on Omeprazole (Prilosec) kinda, but i don't really want to have to take things everyday.

I just regurgitated some with 'mess' with blood in it so... back of throat is really sore so I'm guessing its from the acid wearing something a long the way down. Either way, made me slightly worried.

I'll have to book another appointment, this problem has been getting gradually worse of ryears now and I'm sick of it :\

Oh and my diet isn't great, in the sen but it hasn't changed recently or anything so I can't explain why, what's been a every now and then occurence for the last couple of years ahas recently turned into a daily, severe, problem.

I started getting acid reflux often in my 20's, and I just thought it was heartburn that you get as you get older so I just suffered through it, but in '96, my landlord told me of a friend of his who had BAD acid reflux, and he didnt deal with it, and it ate away the lining of his esophagus and he died!
So I immediately went to the doctor and got put on Prevacid, which I took til I left my job with the health insurance policy, then when I went back to pick up the next Prevacid prescription, I was told the price for 30 pills was $275! At the time there wasnt Prilosec over the counter, so I just had to take Tums all the time, til they came up with Prilosec, which does the same thing as Prevacid, but only costs like$24 for 30 pills! Now Prevacid id also available over the counter as well. I have gotten lucky in the last year as my acid reflux has just disappeared!:)

8o****READ:: I just saw a doctor on a sunday news program say that extended use of Proton pump inhibitors like Prevacid and Prilosec can weaken your bones somehow, so be careful...

8o****READ:: I just saw a doctor on a sunday news program say that extended use of Proton pump inhibitors like Prevacid and Prilosec can weaken your bones somehow, so be careful...

In case you're interested the "theory" behind PPIs causing an increased risk of osteoporosis is the same as it is for any digestable nutrient. Calcium, B vitamins etc. If you lower the acidity in the stomach for 4-8 hours a day significantly enough to allow the body to heal the damage being done by the acid with a PPI you are also potentially restricting the ability of the body to use the gastric acid to digest those nutrients. Currently there isn't any good evidence to support this but it does appear logical. They have to follow patients for at least 5 years to see if this is the case so it'll be a little while before anyone knows for sure. But the other side of the story is that none of the PPIs are strong enough to lower the acidity in your stomach by all that much for the whole day so you can still digest everything you need in the other two thirds of the day.

Funny this thread is here. I just found out the other month I have Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease the other month.... because... yes... I'll admit this.... my breath smells like a carton of week old rotten eggs mixed with the back-end of a (recently) flatulent cat carcass.

I only just read the program for the medication (Nexium) properly and realized it's cutting out a sizeable portion tasty stuff here!

Like coffee, tea, chocolate, mints, spicy food and alcohol.

I noticed some of you also have this kind of reflux problem. Do you permanently avoid most if not all of these foods and drinks?

Funny this thread is here. I just found out the other month I have Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease the other month.... because... yes... I'll admit this.... my breath smells like a carton of week old rotten eggs mixed with the back-end of a (recently) flatulent cat carcass.

I only just read the program for the medication (Nexium) properly and realized it's cutting out a sizeable portion tasty stuff here!

Like coffee, tea, chocolate, mints, spicy food and alcohol.

I noticed some of you also have this kind of reflux problem. Do you permanently avoid most if not all of these foods and drinks?

When I was taking prevacid or Prilosec, I didnt have to cut out any foods. I ate everything I wanted with no problem. Now, my acid reflux(GERD) has apparently mostly disappeared for some reason, and I have not taken ANY medicine for 6 months, and I still smoke, eat chocolate, some spicy foods, etc., and I only have acid reflux like once a month! I'm diggin' it!%)

Thanks for the info... I think I may not have to worry either as I got my teeth cleaned today and realized it was the small amount of plaque causing the halitosis. Thank fuck.

Here's to chocolate and spicy food! *chink*