• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Accidental PCP exposure

rainlove

Greenlighter
A while back I found a vape cart on the lawn of my apartment complex. I assumed it was probably weed since I live in a legal state and dispensaries are everywhere. It wouldn't work in my battery, so I opened it up to dab and then within about 5-10 minutes I started to dissociate heavily. I ended up calling 911 because I became worried I would lose consciousness and forget to breathe. I did not test this substance, but after playing Dr Google and Phone-a-Friend we're reasonably certain that I accidentally smoked PCP.

I don't have the spoons for a full trip report, but I did okay, just had a little panic attack and spent the night hanging out in the ER. My concern is that I'm having just enough lingering aftereffects to trigger my anxiety disorder. It's less and less every day, I think. It's like, tingling, warmth, and slight intermittent pain all concentrated on the right side of my body. I know a lot of this is just anxiety and I'm trying to be gentle with myself, as there doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong with me. I can talk, I'm about as coordinated as I ever was, and the sense of numbness hasn't resulted in any loss of sensation. The anxiety isn't even interfering with my daily tasks. It's just been like 5ish days since I smoked the stuff and I'm getting concerned that I'm not "normal" yet.

I'm currently trying to take a bit of a break from weed to see if that can accelerate my healing, but does anybody have any advice for stuff I can do to make sure I give myself the best chance at a speedy recovery? I'm making a point of staying hydrated as well as eating more leafy greens than I normally do. I'm in therapy once a week for general mental health concerns and processing some old trauma, so she's well aware of what happened and how disturbed I am about it. Do I just need to be patient?

Probably not PCP although anything possible. If it was PCP you'd know it by the sinister, very strong chemical smell.

Far more likely is a synthetic cannabinoid etc. Or even a bad reaction to cannabis.

The thing is, even if it was PCP, there isn't much to recover from physically as its not particularly toxic. Psychologically it can require some recovery if it didn't sit well with you.

Time will fix it.

It's more likely that vape cart contained one of the research chemical cannabinoids (kinda like the stuff in spice/k2/etc but even newer and less known), they are quite powerful and can cause all sorts of bizarre effects including what you described. PCP is pretty rare to find these days but carts containing research cannabinoids are somewhat common unfortunately.

You seem to be already doing pretty well recovery wise. Getting regular exercise?

As has been said, time is a great healer.

You’ll be absolutely fine.

I have pretty bad health anxiety at times and I can flare myself up pretty easily. Try to chat yourself through things and see the logic behind anxiety driven thoughts/feelings. You’ll get there.

You’re going to be ok!

Tons of people who get too high / have panic attacks from cannabinoids immediately jump to 'it was PCP'. You very likely just got too high.

Yep, just be patient. Try and get some exercise in and maybe some breathing techniques. That does wonders for anxiety. You'll be good.

I'm more concerned about the lingering somatic feelings, but I have stepped up my routine; more weights, and plenty of walks with the pup. I lean towards PCP because it lasted for about 6 hours. I felt my tongue and throat go super numb and describing my symptoms lead my friend telling me about the time she got dosed at a festival with similar symptoms. I have a pretty high tolerance for D9 because I'm a med user (with a lapsed card).

It smelled pretty much like a normal cart as far I can tell, but the taste was way off. I can't really describe the flavor other than "wrong".

I just have this lingering fear that I finally broke my brain after having tried basically every other class of drugs and a couple of The Big Ones. But I can still do my job just fine, my emotions are a bit more sharp but not even all negative, I am smiling and laughing at things, and even myself a bit for actually deciding to smoke a ground score.

I'm more concerned about the lingering somatic feelings, but I have stepped up my routine; more weights, and plenty of walks with the pup. I lean towards PCP because it lasted for about 6 hours. I felt my tongue and throat go super numb and describing my symptoms lead my friend telling me about the time she got dosed at a festival with similar symptoms. I have a pretty high tolerance for D9 because I'm a med user (with a lapsed card).

It smelled pretty much like a normal cart as far I can tell, but the taste was way off. I can't really describe the flavor other than "wrong".

I just have this lingering fear that I finally broke my brain after having tried basically every other class of drugs and a couple of The Big Ones. But I can still do my job just fine, my emotions are a bit more sharp but not even all negative, I am smiling and laughing at things, and even myself a bit for actually deciding to smoke a ground
Did the dimensions of everything become strange? Like your room looked to be the size of a warehouse or a skyscraper looked so short a stubby that it was only 2 stories high? A chair looked to be 20 ft tall, etc. Vision becoming very sharp like HD tv?

These are pcp like effects.

I just have this lingering fear that I finally broke my brain after having tried basically every other class of drugs and a couple of The Big Ones. But I can still do my job just fine, my emotions are a bit more sharp but not even all negative, I am smiling and laughing at things, and even myself a bit for actually deciding to smoke a ground score.
I honestly think the anxiety of not knowing what you took along with thinking it was PCP and all that involves is really messing with you here.

I know my anxiety can cause me to feel absolutely anything. It cause me to have stroke like symptoms once! Like literally my whole side went numb etc. All anxiety’s fault.

Exercise will help, distracting yourself. Accepting you took whatever it was and just realise you’re still alive and you’re fine and you will be fine. Try to just accept it’s happened and move past it.
I know how hard that can be with an anxious brain though.

Did the dimensions of everything become strange? Like your room looked to be the size of a warehouse or a skyscraper looked so short a stubby that it was only 2 stories high? A chair looked to be 20 ft tall, etc. Vision becoming very sharp like HD tv?

These are pcp like effects.
Oh, oh no, they did not. I felt reality glitch around me for a moment, like the signal cut out for a second? Also I had some minor motor control issues. Everything looked like it should though.

I honestly think the anxiety of not knowing what you took along with thinking it was PCP and all that involves is really messing with you here.

I know my anxiety can cause me to feel absolutely anything. It cause me to have stroke like symptoms once! Like literally my whole side went numb etc. All anxiety’s fault.

Exercise will help, distracting yourself. Accepting you took whatever it was and just realise you’re still alive and you’re fine and you will be fine. Try to just accept it’s happened and move past it.
I know how hard that can be with an anxious brain though.
I'd describe it as like 80/20. Like I am 80% sure I'll be okay once I knock out a few more stressors, but the doubts linger.

One of the main reasons I posted here was just to have some of that reassurance. Erowid was helpful too, but holy shit the rest of the web. I was reading about some lady who couldn't work for like 2 years and I'm just sitting at the DMV doing life like "oh...god, I hope I don't feel like this forever, I had plans for this summer and I reaally don't wanna never use any drugs again".

I'd describe it as like 80/20. Like I am 80% sure I'll be okay once I knock out a few more stressors, but the doubts linger.

One of the main reasons I posted here was just to have some of that reassurance. Erowid was helpful too, but holy shit the rest of the web. I was reading about some lady who couldn't work for like 2 years and I'm just sitting at the DMV doing life like "oh...god, I hope I don't feel like this forever, I had plans for this summer and I reaally don't wanna never use any drugs again".
Yeah it’s that fear when you read shit online.

Honestly, try not to read it. It’s gonna make it worse. You’re gonna have symptoms you give yourself.

Again, I know how hard this is, especially with the anxiety.

I really do hope I can assure you you will be absolutely fine. Focus on other things and try to see this as a wee blip to just move past.

Yeah it’s that fear when you read shit online.

Honestly, try not to read it. It’s gonna make it worse. You’re gonna have symptoms you give yourself.

Again, I know how hard this is, especially with the anxiety.

I really do hope I can assure you you will be absolutely fine. Focus on other things and try to see this as a wee blip to just move past.
Thank you, I'm gonna try to stop researching myself to death and just follow my instincts.

Thank you, I'm gonna try to stop researching myself to death and just follow my instincts.
Good idea.

Trust me, I’ve been there, I’ve got myself into a proper anxious mess because I’ve read stuff. It’s not worth it!

At the end of the day, trust your instincts is right.

I do promise you’re ok! Let us know if you need any more support! It’s what we are here for! ❤️

The distraction angle has been working pretty well for me. I just started a new podcast and laughing seems to help quite a bit. I'm also in the middle of changing jobs and residences, so I've just got a lot of stress that's come to a head.

If you like listening to other people play D&D, check out Dungeons and Daddies, it makes me legitimately laugh out loud while walking my dog.

The distraction angle has been working pretty well for me. I just started a new podcast and laughing seems to help quite a bit. I'm also in the middle of changing jobs and residences, so I've just got a lot of stress that's come to a head.

If you like listening to other people play D&D, check out Dungeons and Daddies, it makes me legitimately laugh out loud while walking my dog.
Thanks, I will check it out! I also love distraction for my anxiety. It does work really well.

Laughing is also the best!!! Truly!

Oh, oh no, they did not. I felt reality glitch around me for a moment, like the signal cut out for a second? Also I had some minor motor control issues. Everything looked like it should though.
I wouldn't hang onto the idea of pcp. Also extreme cocaine x10 like euphoria and mania are characteristic of pcp.