• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Abuse potential?

The first couple times I took benzos I did feel some euphoria. After that, never.
I was hooked on benzos + alcohol for a few years in the 90s and it was rough. WDs were HELL.
Weird thing is, I rarely got any real satisfaction from the pills. Just always felt like I needed them. And more & more of them.
Never again.
I used to mix them with alcohol frequently, with no trouble. I'd usually wait 'til the alcohol gave me those undesirable side-effects like elevated heart-rate, exacerbating my anxiety, etc. Then I'd pop a few, and I'd feel better.

Wasn't 'til I started mixing Xanax with alcohol that I started having blackouts. This was like after a year or two of mixing with no problem. All of a sudden, started getting blackouts. Now I have to be extremely careful. I only take a benzo many hours after my last drink, or after the effects have mostly worn off, before bed, or only take half of one.

Best of luck to you, and hope you won't run into the same problem.

no man i keep it low these days... maybe .5mg through out a busy day.
sometimes i will skip a dose. sometimes i double up.
seems the lower the dose the more "inspirational" but higher and its like nothingness to me cant be bothered. :heart7:

no man i keep it low these days... maybe .5mg through out a busy day.
sometimes i will skip a dose. sometimes i double up.
seems the lower the dose the more "inspirational" but higher and its like nothingness to me cant be bothered. :heart7:
Oh, I see. Well, that seems reasonable enough. :) I liked to mix the two, probably too much tbh. Blackouts fixed that problem though, I guess.

Anyway, I doubt you'd have much to worry about with those doses. I always think it's a good idea to give a word of caution, just as a general rule. Dunno, maybe it's not necessary, but in the interest of harm-reduction perhaps?

always think it's a good idea to give a word of caution, just as a general rule. Dunno, maybe it's not necessary, but in the interest of harm-reduction perhaps?
All about it myself. And now health and recovery. :)
Please feel free to speek your mind I know of some very painful experiences with high dose bzs.
Cant go back there. Dont even want to or have the urge. ;)
But not knowing who or what we are responding to it would seem like the right thing to do is ward off as best we can, imo.
Agreed

Last edited:
All about it myself. And now health and recovery. :)
Please feel free to speek your mind I know of some very painful.experiences with high dose bzs.
Cant go back there. Dont even want to or have the urge. ;)
But not knowing who ornwhat we are responding to it would seem like the right thing to do is ward off as beat we can, imo.
Agreed
Oh, why thank you, that's very kind of you. 😊 I just now saw you're a moderator, so much for my attention to detail, lol.

Well, my own experiences with benzos have been pretty one-sided. By which I mean, using them has always been positive, or rather... I've usually had good experiences while using them. They eliminate anxiety for sure, but they do nothing for depression. So, I've often been depressed on them, but I much prefer that to anxiety (any day!).

There's been the odd time that I'd take a big dose (say 150mg's of Oxazepam, or many years ago, 16mg of Clonazepam) and I'd have similar effects to being drunk while depressed. Hard to describe really, but that was the impression. Like, drunk and "going off," pissed off at life, etc. But feeling really good, otherwise.

Usually would end with me going to sleep at some point, disgusted with everything, and pretty sedated.

My worst experiences with benzos are withdrawal-related. Back in 2012 I withdrew from Clonazepam. Couldn't get my script renewed, so I was left to fend for myself with whatever I could find. I knew a guy who had 30mg of Oxazepam, so he'd sell me some every once and a while, in a pinch.

Once (cir. 2010), I had a seizure from not having my Clonazepam for about 2-3 weeks. I thought I'd be able to wiat it out to my next refill, so I sold my last 3 pills for a bit of cigarette money (if I recall correctly). I struggled through the anxiety day-after-day, but one morning I had a seizure.
I was going out with this chick, and she called the ambulance. I actually regained consciousness in the ambulance. When they told me what happened, I went "Ohhh.... I haven't had my benzodiazepine in a few weeks."

They shot me up with Ativan, and that was it. They didn't want me to leave, but I needed a cigarette, plus I was meeting my sister for the first time in my life that day, so I had to go.

Fast-forward to 2012, and my source for Clonazepam had run dry. Without any warning, his script was discontinued, and so... I was screwed. I only had 6 x 0.5mg's left. I freaked out a bit, but my gf (now 2nd wife ;) ) consoled me. Somehow (by God's grace), I stopped using them. I didn't touch them unless I really was about to have a full-blown panic-attack. If I was, then I'd take a half pill.

I was able to beat it finally, leaving one half-pill, which I kept as a trophy/reminder, and.... just in case.

That "just in case" moment happened in 2017. My family doc had raised my thyroid medication too high (against my will and strong protests). I wasn't even a week in, when I had the worst panic-attack I'd had in years. Actually, from 2013 to 2017, I had zero panic attacks. I daresay I was living an almost "normal" life. I was drug-free, I even started to have a regular job from 2015 to 2017.

When the incident occurred, it changed all of that. The increase in thyroid medication brought my anxiety/panic-disorder back full force. I've been trying to get it under control ever since.

The doctor gave me Oxazepam and Paxil. 4th time i was on Paxil, and it worked as well as the other 3 times. :rolleyes: I withdrew from Paxil (4th time) later that year, specifically because I wanted to take opiates, and I learned that Paxil would block it. Nope, not having that! So I came off it.

Originally, my Oxazepam (brand name Serax) was 30mg. Man, I wish she had kept it at that level. After a month or so, she brought it down to 15mg.

The rest is history, I guess. I often wish I had the 30mg's, because there are times when I have a really bad panic attack, and I need more than my daily dose (1 pill) to take it away, I need more like 2 or 3 (at least). Only way I'm able to do that is because I occasionally take half my normal dose, and sometimes I've been able to amass a bit of a reserve on the side.
Between 2020-2021 I took half regularly and didn't dip in to the reserve. I had so much on the side I didn't know what to do with! I gave some to a couple friends, but kept the greater bulk of it.

In late-2021 I had a near-attempt at suicide, and needed to get high on something. So, I took like 10 of them (equalling the aforementioned 150mg, give or take). ....And then I started taking 10 of them every day, along with huge amounts of DXM.
The Oxazepam reserve was gone in a couple weeks or so, but I made sure to taper down to my regular dose the best I could. I continued on DXM, getting myself physically addicted in the process, and having to taper down from that (difficult, but finally successful). It took a few months.

Guess you didn't ask for my life story (or even a significant chunk of it), but those are my experiences with benzos.

Nowadays, I spend a lot of my time looking for something to compensate, something that I can use instead of benzos (or DXM.... or opiates at this point) that will allow me to reduce my benzo intake, so I can amass a reserve again (hopefully).

As such, I live day-by-day, and it's kind of slow-going. Thanks for anyone's patience who actually read this incoherent drivel. Much love to all. <3

They eliminate anxiety for sure, but they do nothing for depression. So, I've often been depressed on them, but I much prefer that to anxiety (any day!).
Also agree with the depressive effects on benzos. I found that dosing less mostly remedies this issue. Just my experience, anyway.
Some have more depressive effects than others I think.
When I get up in the AMs and still feel like I am "feeling" effects from night dose I will not dose again until I notice my back start acting up; which may be noon or even the next day just listening to my body as my mind will play tricks on me sometimes and cannot always be trusted. ;)

I hear ya man, I'm right there with you. Thankfully, I've come off antidepressants some time ago (in 2017, I withdrew from Paroxetine [Paxil] for the 4th time in my life), but this year I had to withdraw from DXM as I got physically addicted. DXM withdrawal is like a combo of antidepressant withdrawal (due to it's SNRI properties) and opiate withdrawal (I guess, considering it's a dissociative-hallucinogen synthesized from Codeine).

In addition to that, there's the opiate withdrawal, which is why I'm in the program for Suboxone.... so I'll eventually have to taper from that at some point in the future. Yesterday they actually increased my dose from 12mg to 16mg. I have some pretty bad chronic back-pain, so they thought it might be able to help with that a bit.

And..... like you, I'm not jabbed either. I literally chose the position of "death before vaxx" back in 2020. Vein-snakes are real, yo. I ain't takin' that shite.

So, I totally feel you, and overstand the need to have benzos for breakfast lol.

On another note, I really wish I was able to find a stash of benzos on the side, other than my prescription. Just in case, on those days I do need to take more, I wouldn't have to worry about depleting my resources. That'd be really dope.
I'm glad to talk to the intelligent person who actually did some research instead of being a guinea pig. We both know that it wasn't easy and l was literally a second class citizen for more than 2 years. But I never registered my decision and actually still feel proud of myself. Here in Australia vaccination rate is 95% so you can imagine how "equal" l was? But Benzo helped a lot and kept me calm(mostly).

I'm on 8mg Suboxone and at the moment I take 6mg in the morning and 2mg in the afternoon. I'm thinking of taking the whole strip when I wake up as those 2mg seems to be a waste. I started with 16mg and there is no point going up again. Thanks a lot for your advice my pure-blooded friend. ✌️

Also agree with the depressive effects on benzos. I found that dosing less mostly remedies this issue. Just my experience, anyway.
Some have more depressive effects than others I think.
When I get up in the AMs and still feel like I am "feeling" effects from night dose I will not dose again until I notice my back start acting up; which may be noon or even the next day just listening to my body as my mind will play tricks on me sometimes and cannot always be trusted. ;)
Oh yeah! The benzo hangover.... man, haven't felt that in a long time, tbh. I rarely 'feel' them anymore at all, unless I take a bigger dose. When I do though, I sometimes have that morning effect. Have to watch it, because as it wears off, sometimes it can even trigger a panic reaction.

Fudge, do I hate anxiety/panic disorder....

I'm glad to talk to the intelligent person who actually did some research instead of being a guinea pig. We both know that it wasn't easy and l was literally a second class citizen for more than 2 years. But I never registered my decision and actually still feel proud of myself. Here in Australia vaccination rate is 95% so you can imagine how "equal" l was? But Benzo helped a lot and kept me calm(mostly).

I'm on 8mg Suboxone and at the moment I take 6mg in the morning and 2mg in the afternoon. I'm thinking of taking the whole strip when I wake up as those 2mg seems to be a waste. I started with 16mg and there is no point going up again. Thanks a lot for your advice my pure-blooded friend. ✌️
My pleasure mate, and stay safe and sane as you can down there in Aussie-land! :)

I'm not exactly sure what the vaxx-rate is where I live. The "News" said something like 70% but I think it's bullshit. I've no reason to believe the TV is telling me the truth about anything, lol. There are a lot of vaccinated though, especially in the more remote country areas, which is weird. Like, I don't have the reflex of "going to get tested" any time I come down with something, it's just never been my auto-response. But a lot of people have [been conditioned to] have that reflex, I guess.

I dunno, I get a cold or flu, I stay home and in bed cuz I'm sick. I don't run out to the nearest hospital or pharmacy for a test-kit (lolz) just to see if I have today's "variant." Pff.... Whatever, if other people want to do that, that's their business, but trying to force me into behaving irrationally for the sake of irrational people..... just cuz the TV made you scared? Yeah, not going to happen.

Sorry for the rant, but after 2yrs of insanity, I have to vent sometimes. Back on topic:

Yeah, the 2nd day of being on 16mg's Suboxone, I actually was just nauseous all day and puked at some point. Ugh... hated that. I did "feel it" a bit though, but now I'm a week-and-a-half in, and I don't feel shit (but sometimes still get the nausea.... yay).

It's funny, when I was abusing Suboxone to get high (and my opiate tolerance was low), I'd sniff 1mg and wait for it to kick in. Sometimes I'd notice nausea, pretty pronounced in fact, but the high was still worth it, so I powered through. Taking it sublingually though, all I got was nausea for the msot part, and it was not worth it. When I see them next time (at the center for the program) I'm going to tell them to bring me back down to 12mg.

My pleasure mate, and stay safe and sane as you can down there in Aussie-land! :)

I'm not exactly sure what the vaxx-rate is where I live. The "News" said something like 70% but I think it's bullshit. I've no reason to believe the TV is telling me the truth about anything, lol. There are a lot of vaccinated though, especially in the more remote country areas, which is weird. Like, I don't have the reflex of "going to get tested" any time I come down with something, it's just never been my auto-response. But a lot of people have [been conditioned to] have that reflex, I guess.

I dunno, I get a cold or flu, I stay home and in bed cuz I'm sick. I don't run out to the nearest hospital or pharmacy for a test-kit (lolz) just to see if I have today's "variant." Pff.... Whatever, if other people want to do that, that's their business, but trying to force me into behaving irrationally for the sake of irrational people..... just cuz the TV made you scared? Yeah, not going to happen.

Sorry for the rant, but after 2yrs of insanity, I have to vent sometimes. Back on topic:

Yeah, the 2nd day of being on 16mg's Suboxone, I actually was just nauseous all day and puked at some point. Ugh... hated that. I did "feel it" a bit though, but now I'm a week-and-a-half in, and I don't feel shit (but sometimes still get the nausea.... yay).

It's funny, when I was abusing Suboxone to get high (and my opiate tolerance was low), I'd sniff 1mg and wait for it to kick in. Sometimes I'd notice nausea, pretty pronounced in fact, but the high was still worth it, so I powered through. Taking it sublingually though, all I got was nausea for the msot part, and it was not worth it. When I see them next time (at the center for the program) I'm going to tell them to bring me back down to 12mg.
No worries mate, l feel the same regarding PLANdemic. Have nobody to talk to as the majority of the SHEEPLE is brainwashed. People are dropping dead from the JAB like a flies and they are still talking about some "conspiracy theories". 🤔 Getting high on Subs is impossible for me as my tolerance is very high. 8mg is just enough to get me out of bed and that's it. I hope it will stay that way as antidepressants don't help at all. All the best. ✌️