• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Pharmacology About calcium and Diazepam -- apparently potentiates, so TUMS and Diazepam is OK?

This thread contains discussion about a Pharmacology-related topic

BourbonMac

Bluelighter

This study suggests calcium basically potentiates Diazepam. Up to this point, I thought TUMS (calcium carbonate) delayed the onset of Diazepam by a lot.

This study focuses on aluminum antacids.

See, it's a bit confusing for me. I could've sworn I read a study that suggested TUMS does this as well. This was just calcium in rats on the first study, but I'd assume calcium carbonate falls under the same category? I'm mainly curious because I ate some TUMS for heartburn 2 hours after taking it orally well after eating so it should've been fully absorbed. I'd think regardless, once it's fully absorbed you can take any antacid that might delay the onset a lot. It was roughly 1 hour after a sublingual one (I usually take like, 2 before a shower, 1 sublingual after so it'll all hit at once).

So I guess my main question would be if the study with calcium on rats would apply to calcium carbonate. I mean, it's still calcium, still a good source of it. It would've helped it they specified what type of calcium, like citrate. Regardless, I couldn't find one single study that focuses on calcium carbonate. It's all aluminum stuff, but if you look for tums it just says antacids in general and refers to the aluminum. So, I guess TUMS and benzos are fine together? Same with H2 blockers and Gabapentin for instance, these are fine to take together, there's no magnesium or aluminum which reduce absorption, but there seems to be this confusion with putting antacids under this big blanket. I mean, cimetidine potentiates Diazepam and increases the half life.

A lot of people have noted increased effects with cimetidine, it might not be much but it's something.
I haven't had effects from it in quite awhile, at least noticeable effects like when I was starting it. Last week when I was getting low I picked some up, took it 40 minutes before the Diazepam and I couldn't believe how good I felt, it's been quite a few months since it gave me euphoria like that.