Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Aboriginal education

Abject

Bluelighter
I was thinking about primary school, and I remember my year 3 or 4 teacher being big on Aboriginal culture.
We had this big 'assignment'; dedicated all this time into the aboriginal culture.
We read about the dreaming, on sacred sites and traditions, on art and tools, on diet and hunting.
They neglected the sense of community and the real way of life, which is fair enough for 8-9 year olds.
Then, in year 6 I remember a teacher telling us a story of aboriginals with buckets hanging around their neck, filled with inhalants.
A few of the kids laughed, I may have even been one of them, and the teacher tried to express the lack of humour and the depravity that it was, but even still.
Even throughout high school, with the little of study that was related to indigenous Australia not once was it focused on the destruction of the culture; the sheer terror of the acts that transpired.
Even now, we let in so many people and neglect the indigenous; putting them 'off the grid'
We were told about the referendum in 1967, but never given the full understanding of what it meant. Of what it ceased.
Even now Australia breaks every code of the Geneva Convention when it comes to human rights for aboriginals.

It just fucks me off to hear people make stupid comments about aboriginals having it good.
It doesn't matter how multicultural our land is, Australia is a racist state.

Sounds like you had a good teacher there Abject. I remember very few classes on Aboriginal Culture growing up which is really quite sad, it shouldnt just be glossed over. I dont have children so I dont know whats being taught in schools these days but I doubt its much better.

No question that Australia is a racist country. You see it everyday.