AAS, Bodybuilders and heart ventricle function

Genetic Freak

Moderator: SIED
Staff member
Anabolic steroid use in body builders: an echocardiographic study of left ventricle morphology and function.
De Piccoli B1, Giada F, Benettin A, Sartori F, Piccolo E.

Author information
Abstract
To ascertain the effect of anabolic steroids (AS) on left ventricle size and function, M-mode and 2D echocardiographic evaluation was carried out in 14 body builders at the end of a phase of AS self-administration (8 +/- 3 weeks, mean +/- S.D.) and after a period (9 +/- 2 weeks, mean +/- S.D.) of drug withdrawal, as well as in 14 other body builders who had never made use of AS, and in 14 sedentary individuals. All the subjects were also examined anthropometrically. Ventricular septal thickness index was slightly greater in athletes using AS, compared to the other two groups (p less than 0.05), while left ventricle mass, the end-diastolic volume indexes and isovolumetric relaxation time, (a parameter of left ventricle diastolic function) were significantly increased (p less than 0.001) as well as the fat free mass (FFM), a marker of skeletal muscle mass. The non-users showed no differences in echocardiographic parameters, compared to sedentary controls. During the off treatment phase, the percentage of adipose mass increased and FFM decreased, while echocardiographic parameters did not vary significantly from on treatment values. The findings indicate that AS can induce an unfavourable enlargement and thickening of the left ventricle, which loses its diastolic properties with the mass increase. These modifications tend to persist following a short period of drug withdrawal.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1917226

Are the cardiac effects of anabolic steroid abuse in strength athletes reversible?

A Urhausen, T Albers, and W Kindermann

Objective: To investigate the reversibility of adverse cardiovascular effects after chronic abuse of anabolic androgenic steroids (AAS) in athletes.

Methods: Doppler echocardiography and cycle ergometry including measurements of blood pressure at rest and during exercise were undertaken in 32 bodybuilders or powerlifters, including 15 athletes who had not been taking AAS for at least 12 months (ex-users) and 17 currently abusing AAS (users), as well as in 15 anabolic-free weightlifters.

Results: Systolic blood pressure was higher in users (mean (SD) 140 (10) mm Hg) than in ex-users (130 (5) mm Hg) (p < 0.05) or weightlifters (125 (10) mm Hg; p < 0.001). Left ventricular muscle mass related to fat-free body mass and the ratio of mean left ventricular wall thickness to internal diameter were not significantly higher in users (3.32 (0.48) g/kg and 42.1 (4.4)%) than in ex-users (3.16 (0.53) g/kg and 40.3 (3.8)%), but were lower in weightlifters (2.43 (0.26) g/kg and 36.5 (4.0)%; p < 0.001). Left ventricular wall thickness related to fat-free body mass was also lower in weightlifters, but did not differ between users and ex-users. Left ventricular wall thickness was correlated with a point score estimating AAS abuse in users (r = 0.49, p < 0.05). In all groups, systolic left ventricular function was within the normal range. The maximum late transmitral Doppler flow velocity (Amax) was higher in users (61 (12) cm/s) and ex-users (60 (12) cm/s) than in weightlifters (50 (9) cm/s; p < 0.05 and p = 0.054).

Conclusions: Several years after discontinuation of anabolic steroid abuse, strength athletes still show a slight concentric left ventricular hypertrophy in comparison with AAS-free strength athletes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1768225/

Strange on how my last health check my blood pressure was borderline low... They didn't clad it as low, though was on the low end of normal...

Strange on how my last health check my blood pressure was borderline low... They didn't clad it as low, though was on the low end of normal...

168/105.. was my last check... just given blood hopefully to get it down a bit..

Last edited:
Tbh I can't remember mine I think it was 90/120 or something

Most guys on AAS should be using an angiotensin receptor blocker as standard in my opinion (eg Losartan, Olmesartan). Not only will it lower BP, it also prevents and reverses the accumulation of fibrotic tissue, both in the heart and across the cardiovascular system, which is the major concern from AAS use.

168/105.. was my last check... just given blood hopefully to get it down a bit..

That's really unhealthily high GF. Is that just temporary, or does it always sit that high?

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest I don't know a lot about it and I really can't remember, she said my blood pressure was 8 points above what they would call low it might have been 70 come to think of it

128/71 was mine. Blood work came back with elevated rbc but hematocrit was still in range so I should be fine. My bun/creatine ratio was low. Should I be concerned? I'm on a 800 kcal deficit and consuming high water to flush sodium if that matters.

As long as you aren't passing out, these days they tend not to classify 'low' blood pressure. In a healthy adult, a BP below 120/80 is simply considered normal. Anything over 160/100 is extremely unhealthy; a little higher and you should be down to your A&E (ER).

128/71 was mine. Blood work came back with elevated rbc but hematocrit was still in range so I should be fine. My bun/creatine ratio was low. Should I be concerned? I'm on a 800 kcal deficit and consuming high water to flush sodium if that matters.

You can't 'flush' sodium really, unless you're fiddling with the Renin system. Having a low creatinine is fine. Your BP is ok.

That's really unhealthily high GF. Is that just temporary, or does it always sit that high?

I'm at the end of a 28 week blast, kinda too long.... I'll be on TRT dose for the foreseeable future, hopefully that should bring things down to more healthy levels....

Quote: accumulation of fibrotic tissue, both in the heart and across the cardiovascular system

I've been reading about this recently, and it is quite a concern, considering I'm in my 33rd year of AAS use.... I will enquire at work when I return home, regarding your recommendations on: Losartan, Olmesartan

I'm at the end of a 28 week blast, kinda too long.... I'll be on TRT dose for the foreseeable future, hopefully that should bring things down to more healthy levels....

Quote: accumulation of fibrotic tissue, both in the heart and across the cardiovascular system

I've been reading about this recently, and it is quite a concern, considering I'm in my 33rd year of AAS use.... I will enquire at work when I return home, regarding your recommendations on: Losartan, Olmesartan

You should definitely make it a priority to bring your BP into the normal range GF. Especially given your experience with AAS. You may even need to consider meds like propranolol and clonidine if you can't get it down with just an ARB.

Have you ever had any of the major blood vessels (esp coronary ones) scanned or looked at for signs of atherosclerosis?

Interestingly ARBs are also postulated to be slightly anabolic/anti-catabolic (as opposed to ACE inhibitors, which are not so much).

I would like to post up an article I wrote about heart health on AAS that touches on several factors, but I'm concerned I'd be too easily identified (though few visit this forum so maybe not lol).

You should definitely make it a priority to bring your BP into the normal range GF. Especially given your experience with AAS. You may even need to consider meds like propranolol and clonidine if you can't get it down with just an ARB.

Have you ever had any of the major blood vessels (esp coronary ones) scanned or looked at for signs of atherosclerosis?

Interestingly ARBs are also postulated to be slightly anabolic/anti-catabolic (as opposed to ACE inhibitors, which are not so much).

I would like to post up an article I wrote about heart health on AAS that touches on several factors, but I'm concerned I'd be too easily identified (though few visit this forum so maybe not lol).

High blood pressure has only been a fairly recent thing which generally comes down when I lower the dose.... I'm hoping my recent blood donation, plus TRT regime may return things to normal.... Unfortunately I live in a small town/village, AAS are prescription only, I don't wish the local Dr to know my business...

I would be happy to receive your article on heart health via PM... CFC..

Last edited:

Hey CFC, I had my carotid arteries scanned and came out clear...

Last edited: