AA/NA Discussion Mega Thread (merged)

I really dislike AA. I completely agree that the AA book is full of bait and switch. That's exactly how I felt the first time I read it.

For me the worst part of AA is how it enforces the idea that you will relapse if you don't work a program in people's minds. I firmly believe that most people relapse soon after leaving AA because they believe that shit and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yeah, I agree with that too. It's almost as if it sets people up with the mentality that if they're going to relapse, then it has to be of epic proportion. I actually had one of my first sponsors tell me that he got pissed when one of his friends called him to tell him he relapsed after taking one hit of a joint, so he told him to "call me when you've made it worthwhile". Wtf is that shit? Would he rather have his friend's wife call him to tell him his friend died of an overdose? Would that make it dramatic enough to justify leaving the program for him?

I think its a good recovery tool when used and not depended on.
People are strange, life is stranger.

Peace,
Seedless

it was stated before in this thread, but the God thing (or higher power) is what majorly turned me off. I dont believe in any higher power, God or any of the such. It was so set around the Higher Power that i had to quit going to the meetings all togethor.

i was forced to go to church for my childhood and went to private schools and religious rehabs, ive had enough of that religion bullshit and when NA was so focused around that, i couldnt do it.