• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc A question to drug manufacturers and chemists.

You mean which popular recreational drug?
It depends on many things such as the availability of the right precursors and solvents. There's not a definitive answer.

I think ethanol would be the easiest objectively speaking, it's a very simple drug... Of course you don't even have to make it synthetically, you can just ferment some sugar and you'll get ethanol after distillation.

You mean which popular recreational drug?
It depends on many things such as the availability of the right precursors and solvents. There's not a definitive answer.

I think ethanol would be the easiest objectively speaking, it's a very simple drug... Of course you don't even have to make it synthetically, you can just ferment some sugar and you'll get ethanol after distillation.
You dont even need distillation. Simple fermentation works a treat to get you hammered.

Not me though, cos I'm fuckin hardcore like...

You dont even need distillation. Simple fermentation works a treat to get you hammered.

Not me though, cos I'm fuckin hardcore like...
Yeah you can make fermented drinks but that requires some technique so you don't end up with something disgusting (or get methanol poisoning).

I personally don't like to drink beer or stuff like that if I'm looking to get hammered, I'd rather drink some vodka or whatever and not 10+ beers. I will drink fermented stuff to get a buzz though.

Yeah you can make fermented drinks but that requires some technique so you don't end up with something disgusting (or get methanol poisoning).

I personally don't like to drink beer or stuff like that if I'm looking to get hammered, I'd rather drink some vodka or whatever and not 10+ beers. I will drink fermented stuff to get a buzz though.

Wine is a piece of piss to make, it just requires a little hard work, basic hygiene and a lot of patience.

Beer even easier (but harder to master).

I think you're more likely to get methanol poisoning from poor distillation than making some homebrew...

Wine is a piece of piss to make, it just requires a little hard work, basic hygiene and a lot of patience.

Beer even easier (but harder to master).

I think you're more likely to get methanol poisoning from poor distillation than making some homebrew...
I've never made either to be honest, only made pineapple chicha many years ago which was pretty tasty and super easy. Making beer sounds fun though, I've been thinking about it for awhile, just for the hell of it, but it's not on top of my priority list haha.
But yeah the process itself is very simple, just requires some experience to master it as you said.

Have you made wine before? If so, what kind of grapes did you use?

I've never made either to be honest, only made pineapple chicha many years ago which was pretty tasty and super easy. Making beer sounds fun though, I've been thinking about it for awhile, just for the hell of it, but it's not on top of my priority list haha.
But yeah the process itself is very simple, just requires some experience to master it as you said.

Have you made wine before? If so, what kind of grapes did you use?

Yes I've made wine and didn't use any grapes. I used elderberries picked off the tree and overripe bananas bought from the Co-op. Grapes aren't necessary to make wine, they're just convenient. All fruits are viable...

Acid is a room temperature rxn. Mdma and meth are similar to boot. Ketamine is pretty difficult. Never tried any of these but learning the theory is unique.

^LSD takes a lot of expertise and precision ... MDMA isnt easy either

My vote for ethanol, then THC, psilocybin, DMT, LSA, etc

@redrumog Lsd starts with ergotamide tartrate, cleave that molecule and then you has LSA. Then LSA pybop and diethylamine(s) in methylene chloride that'll make LSD. I'm sure it's difficult to start. The 2cs are from what I gather the more difficult phenethylamines to synthesize. If there's a natural source for a drug, you can extract and purify. Otherwise, MDMA LSD 2cs are all require synth.

Yes I've made wine and didn't use any grapes. I used elderberries picked off the tree and overripe bananas bought from the Co-op. Grapes aren't necessary to make wine, they're just convenient. All fruits are viable...
That's cool, I respect the fact that you used elderberries (and not cherries) and straight from the tree.
But I have to say that if it's not made out of grapes it's not real wine though 😜

Honestly easiest things to make are probably things like chloral hydrate. Small simple molecule that can be made from pretty common things.

I feel like all people talking about plants/yeast based drugs are kind of skirting the question. (though if you wanna talk bioreactors, the sky is the limit as long as the metabolic cascades have been created/ properly tinkered with).

I guess the other issue to think about is what precursors to start from and their ease of acquisition. Everybody says methamphetamine (even though methcathinone is less involved of a process), because of the ease of access of pseudo ephedrine, if one had to make their own p2p it would be as hard as any phenethylamine (which really isnt too bad, none of these are like horrible Woodward style syntheses).

The issue with this question is that it's way too broad, so there's no real answer (other than our personal opinions). Any drug can be easy or hard to make, just depends on the starting materials. As you mentioned, nobody's doing total synthesis anyway.
Although the simpler the molecule, the easier it is to make, for sure. Same goes for achiral or racemic mixtures, which are considerably easier to make than their chiral or enantiopure counterparts (generally speaking).

On one extreme we have a licenced chemist with a permit to synthesize controlled substances and easy access to any commercial precursor he desires, as well as a state of the art lab.
On the other we have an average black-market chemist with limited access to precursors and sub-standard equipment.
Those 2 situations are very different...

It also depends on your location, that's why many drug manufacturers are based in places where they have access to big amounts of precursors such as Mexico, SEA, some places in the middle east, China (pretty much controls the chemical industry nowadays) or even big commercial hubs with somewhat progressive policies such as the Netherlands, etc...
I feel like all people talking about plants/yeast based drugs are kind of skirting the question. (though if you wanna talk bioreactors, the sky is the limit as long as the metabolic cascades have been created/ properly tinkered with).
Yeah... But at the same time why do it yourself when you can use a non-sentient organism to do most of the hard work? :p
Specially if said organism has been genetically modified to do exactly what you want it to (either with genetic engineering techniques, or via selective breeding/directed evolution). I admit I might be biased but I personally think this is the future but we still have ways to go.

Last edited: